Exterior paint colors
stefcurry
June 14, 2013 in Design Dilemma
What color should the exterior be painted? Trim will remain white on gutters and vertical pieces. Windows will be replaced and have 4" trim which we think will be white. There will be siding shakes with an accent color. Garage doors will be replace to include design for a trim color and door color with black hardware. Thanks in advance for all the suggestions!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Cat Rowe
Are those wood garage doors?
June 14, 2013 at 8:30pm   
PRO
Rockin' Fine Finish
Sage green or if you want darker gunmetal gray
June 14, 2013 at 10:05pm   
stefcurry
We have had a lot of suggestions of sage green or dark tan with a tint of yellow/terra cotta to pull in the bricks. There is also some dark brown in the bricks we have thought about accenting the shake siding above the front entry and around the window above the garage door. No gray or blue.
June 15, 2013 at 12:51pm   
Lkristine
Here is an example image for you. Hope it helps!
June 15, 2013 at 7:36pm   
PRO
Talianko Design Group, LLC
Of course, you need to do what you love BUT the reason you've had these suggestions is because they are natural choices with red (brick). Green and gold are combined in schemes with red because they work. In your case, consider the neighbors. Don't do gold if the guy next door has a gold house, for example. This example of the sage green is too strong. Try a mintier green for the siding and let your garage doors be white as with the rest of the wood trim.
June 15, 2013 at 7:40pm     
PRO
June 15, 2013 at 7:43pm   
stefcurry
Thanks for all the advice! I love the taupe put on our house - so we did a little editing and want to get opinions on ideas put on pics. We love houses with an accent color, but possibly it's not right for our house?
June 15, 2013 at 8:09pm     
Lkristine
It is distinct, personalized , yet blends, all at the same time, without looking like the house next door. Very pretty. Mint is beautiful, however a little to cold for the brick IMO.
June 15, 2013 at 8:30pm   
Cat Rowe
Stef - I am a fan of wood garage doors without windows. If you are in your garage at night with the light on, people will be able to see you. We tried it for a week and neighbors said they could see through. So we went with a roll up wood with no windows. Additionally, painting the door your siding colour unifies the garage door with the rest of the home. They don't stand out. They blend. Like your pictures! Good luck! You have a great home!
June 15, 2013 at 9:22pm   
More Discussions
Need help for new exterior paint color
My husband built this A Frame in the 70's and we are...
What color should I paint this small bedroom?
Main floor is getting painted next week. Mostly SW...
Kitchen lighting
Hello! We are renovating a 60s colonial we just bought....
Building a kitchen into living room
I am building a modest home for my family of four,...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2014 Houzz Inc.
Houzz® The new way to design your home™