Restoring 106 yr old home
sandiocd
We bought this awesome Edwardian, which had no updates since the '70s. Progress on the kitchen shown. Should we paint the cabinets? They are sturdy, custom built and really maximize storage. Also included pics of Master bedroom redo.
sandiocd
Here are the Befores and Afters for the kids' rooms
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 12:31AM
Fantastic updates.
3 Likes    Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 5:47AM
motownmom
You did a great job with decorating the other rooms! Yes, I personally think you should paint the cabinets. The room looks really dark. I personally like white or light colored cabinets because it makes the room look so much larger. I love the tin style backsplash.

I just renovated my kitchen. About 10 years ago I painted my cabinets white, and last month completed doing them again in pale yellow because I wanted a cottage style kitchen. I searched all over the internet and home improvement websites and youtube for videos and articles about painting cabinets. It is time consuming because you need to take the doors off, but if you take your time it will add a lot to the kitchen. With the detail on the doors & drawers you could go cottage/distressed and rough up the wood along the edges if you wanted to, or simply paint them. You will need to use brushes to get the paint into the grooves on the doors. When I did my cabinets originally I simply used a nice indoor paint in an eggshell/semi-gloss type finish. It's durable and easy to clean.

You could look for copper toned handles & knobs to match your backsplash.
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 5:59AM
apple_pie_order
Great updates to the house decor. For the kitchen, I would look at replacing the lighting or adding to the lighting you have to make it sparkle more. Some fabulous knobs as motownmom suggested above would be lovely.

Once you paint cabinets, you have nick-and-ding maintenance forever after. These cabinets are a good strong color already, perfectly complemented by the copper toned backsplash.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 6:33AM
sandiocd
Love the idea of copper handles and drawer pulls!
1 Like    Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 6:52AM
sandiocd
Another question: the countertops are plain white Corian. Should we go granite, or would that detract from the period feel of the house too much?
While, I am not married to keeping things period, ( I like easy clean up!)I really love the traditional feel of this old house.
Thought someone might want to see the nice mural in dining room. It is original to the house.
6 Likes    Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 7:07AM
apple_pie_order
Gorgeous woodwork and mural. Now that I see the woodwork in the dining room, I would definitely not paint the goodlooking wood of the kitchen cabinets.

Why change the Corian? I'd rather have a white-marble-look quartz than granite in this case.
3 Likes    Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 7:13AM
sstarr93
I agree with @apple_pie_order, these are already very attractive cabinets, in a color which is just as current as white. I also like the backsplash. However, the room appears dark.
If you could replace the flooring with a very light color porcelain tile in a large format (like 12 x 24"), the kitchen would look brand new. And, I'd take away the valance.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 7:16AM
Kitchen Cabinet Kings
We think it may be time to to remove the cabinets, and replace them with new cabinets. In addition to providing you with increased functionality, the new cabinets will allow you the flexibility to get a taller refrigerator, and a microwave vent hood over the stove, so that you can update the appliances as well. With the low prices of high quality stock cabinets, you can do a complete kitchen remodel and still stay on budget.
    Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 7:27AM
tcufrog
Kitchen Cabinet Kings is wrong. Those cabinets don't need to be replaced. Doing so would be unnecessary and wasteful.

I would get glass knobs for some sparkle and not paint the cabinets. Anthropologie has some gorgeous knobs. http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/category/knobs%2c+hooks+%26+more/home-hardware.jsp Are those the original kitchen floors? Are they in good shape? I can't see them in the photos. A lighter colored kitchen rug would help. If you get something machine washable that fits in your washer you don't have to worry about it looking dirty due to kitchen splatters.

Putting in the marble-look quartz counter apple_pie_order would look more appropriate in the house than Corian or granite and would be easier to care for than marble. You also need to replace the valance above the kitchen window with something lighter and more tailored. Can you install undercabinet lighting and something light and with more sparkle than the white backsplash? The more sparkle you add the brighter the kitchen will look.

Also, what does your ceiling look like and what sort of lighting do you have in the kitchen?
1 Like    Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 7:31AM
sandiocd
Yes, one problem in these old houses is lighting. Sstarr93, I was not crazy about the valance but the window is so large that without something, it looks like a giant white rectangle that dominates the room. Do you (or anyone) have another suggestion?
Apple pie-- marble like quartz would be lovely! The Corian will have to stay for awhile, but I will remember that suggestion
    Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 7:38AM
sstarr93
Instead of the valance, and to add charm, color and balance to the window, you could do this treatment (below). I like it because it would be in keeping with the period and style of your house. The cloth could be something similar, or even a tapestry, as your house is Edwardian. You would need a carpenter to make the small wood surround.

Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 2:48PM
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
Hi, my own house is a 121 year old Queen Anne style Victorian. I restored some parts of the house and updated others. I have to admit that I have not read the entire thread of suggestions and responses from you but I want to mention something. Keeping the cabinets white is really not a problem. An Edwardian estate would have had a scullery, butler's pantry and work kitchen. It would all have been shelves, some cabinets, large galvanized sinks, and painted stone or tile walls. No decorations or frills and windows would have been shuttered.
So if you keep the cabinets as they are, adding old steel or galvanized surfaces, wood countertops, stone tops in baking area, Industrial age lighting and natural looking stone or porcelain floors, I think you'd have a great looking kitchen without spending a lot of cash.
    Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 3:02PM
Rooms in Bloom Home Staging & Design Inc.
I would paint them! Could also modify a few to have glass inserts ...
    Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 3:56PM
sandiocd
Sstarr93, I like the idea of a tapestry window treatment. Thank you!
Jeffrey, I guess I am not willing to give up my microwave and dishwasher to go completely period. We do have a butlers pantry, but it is now our home office. This is what is so cool about Houzz- you get to communicate with such knowledgeable people!
    Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 5:30PM
sandiocd
Tcufrog, here are pictures that should answer your questions. The floors are white oak that was refinished about 8 years ago.
The ceiling fan is from an old hotel that was demolished in Louisville, KY
1 Like    Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 5:45PM
motownmom
Now that I see the wood in the dining room, I'm conflicted. The dining room is lovely!

If you keep the cabinets the way they are, and update the knobs & pulls to copper, it would allow you to make changes without doing the cabinets for now.

I like the white marble-looking quartz, but also like the butcher block idea. Your floor would probably match butcher block perfectly. Later, if you paint the cabinets you'd have something that would go with any color, or white.

For the window, is privacy an issue? I like cafe curtains on a spring rod for lower window privacy, but take down the blinds and you'd have more light in the room, with the privacy below from a cafe curtan. The fabric could have light or faded greens, yellows and blues in it to match the dining room mural. If the window frame is too narrow for a spring rod, you could use a small one that is attached with one or two little nails on either side. I've seen both types at Joann's, and home improvement stores.

For something to light the room, I just purchased small undercabinet lighting pods at Lowe's. They are battery operated and use 3 AA batteries. I can't tell if you have a "lip" on the lower edge of your cabinets. Mine is about an inch, and hides these from view, but each one can be lighted separately by pushing a button on them. They weren't expensive. That would allow some light for food prep, plus bounce off the copper backsplash.

If you let in more light from the window and under-cabinet lighting, it might resolve the dark look for now, and let you think about how to handle the cabinets later.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 5:39AM
huttonxs3
The dining area with the mural is gorgeouse. Try a different floor...but I wouldn't change much there. As for the kitchen the cabinets are dark my connern is changing the colour on cabinets is a pan in the bum! 12 steps...timily nothing easy or simple here. Using paint looks awful and you would want to stain and in staining you can get most any colour. BUT if they are real wood i would go through the process or pay someone that knows what they are doing to do it for you. And make sure they know what they are doing! If you can afford to replace them with new solid wood cabinets then I would go that route. You can also sell what you have. You'd be surprised how people want those cabinets due to age, wood etc...Lightening it up would be nice. Using greys, white,cream or even a nice shade of blue...maybe pull colours from the mural if you are wanting to keep it. And the mural I would def. keep. Have fun. Our house was built in 1890 and it has been a nightmare remolding. We are the fith owners and each owner before us added a room on without redoing the others so we call it the time warp and are trying to remodel all the rooms so they at least match! lol
    Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 5:47AM
palatti
There are a million photos of kitchens on this site. Go through them and pick out items about the kitchens that appeal to you. Take your time to accumulate your likes as a kitchen is very expensive to do. When you go through the photos at a later date a prevailing theme will emerge. Voile', you will know how you want your kitchen to look.
    Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 8:54AM
apple_pie_order
How about moving the vintage fan to another room?

Adding a simple, 1-level chandelier with 4-7 bulbs would add a lot of light on the dark cabinets.

Or you could go with an energy-efficient fixture that uses three or four 48" fluorescent tubes (the circular fluorescent bulbs are completely inadequate).
http://www.lightingdirect.com has an efficient display, great for sorting what you are interested in.
    Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 9:13AM
sandiocd
Thanks for so many valuable suggestions! I do have some little under cabinet lights, and if I open the blinds, it does lighten the room significantly. I know we need better overhead lighting. We are addressing electrics in our remodel, and, you are right, it is a "pain in the bum!" We do not have central air, obviously, so that ceiling fan is a Godsend!
After reading suggestions from this generous forum, I have decided to keep the cabinets as they are. They are, indeed real wood, and so sturdy that you could hang from the shelves. As for walls and windows:
I like the idea of picking up on colors from the mural--which, BTW, used to be covered with wallpaper! The previous owners had the Art Dept from our local university restore it! It is one of the things I love most about the house.
3 Likes    Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 5:07PM
sandiocd
If you like the wood in the house, take a look at the fireplace! It is solid cherry, and extends to the ceiling.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 5:10PM
apple_pie_order
There are some beautiful Casablanca fans (not Casa Vieja) that have light kits. They last forever, too.

Love the woodwork on the fireplace.

Interpreting the Edwardian style for a kitchen used by a family today can mean fitting it out in near-formal style, not the style in which the original Edwardian servants cooked.

Baldwin makes some high quality knobs that might look good here. Lots of finishes available. http://www.baldwinhardware.com/products/categories/Cabinet-Hardware/Cabinet-Knobs.aspx
    Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 5:22PM
vickie7
I have a friend that has the same cabinets. She had them painted off white and used brushed nickel door pulls and black granite counter tops with bead board back splash. It is just beautiful !!!!
1 Like    Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 6:16PM
huttonxs3
Wow you really found a gem in this house. I hope you enjoy it! Love the fireplace and what a neat story on the mural! I love art so I also love murals. I'm hand painting one now on porcelain tiles and will fire in my kiln of clipper ships for my kitchen....have fun!
    Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 6:45PM
sandiocd
Wow, apple pie, those glass knobs are gorgeous! They remind me of the glass doorknobs in the house.

Hutton,would love to see the clipper ship tiles...
    Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 1:45PM
hazeldazel
If the cabinets are solid and sturdy, I would paint them white and get soapstone counter-tops (if the budget allowed). Would look fabulous and totally work with the style of the house! Could do a simple subway tile backsplash and then done.
    Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 1:56PM
L Star Murals
What a beautiful mural! It is so inspiring to me that you went to the effort to have it restored. :)
    Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 12:55AM
Timeless Appeal
I would paint the cabinets a neutral color, get new appliances, and new pulls. Get a new window treatment. Try a cornice, or a soft cornice.
    Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 5:08AM
sandiocd
I will get new appliances eventually, but these work well, and there are so many other projects in this house that are taking financial priority right now.
And, I cannot take credit for restoring the mural. We have only owned the house for 4 months, after it had been empty for 2 years. The previous owners arranged the restoration.
    Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 6:47PM
What a fantastic house full of treasures. Can't wait to see the rest!
    Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 5:10PM
sandiocd
Thank you, Emily. I created a Houzz User Ideabook called. "1900s Edwardian Before and After", if you would like to see our progress.
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 4:58PM
apple_pie_order
Great ideabook. Thanks for uploading photos.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 5:08PM
Wow! LOVE what you have done so far. Thank you so much for sharing the photos. I would love the opportunity to restore a house like yours someday. So neat!
1 Like    Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 5:16PM
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
sandiocd, Here are some pics of my Kitchen. There were six openings from the room so original walls were too tiny to handle any large appliances or cabinets. I closed up walls, added an archway and planted a peninsula to double as work and dining table. Anyway, the Kitchen has stainless steel appliances and modern amenities but feels appropriate to era of the house.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 6:28PM
sandiocd
Jeffrey thank you for sharing your lovely kitchen. Clever to put storage in the end of your peninsula! And I love the chandelier--tasteful and not overpowering. I always am afraid of overkill, and err on the side of simplicity. (Maybe too much sometimes)
    Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 9:06PM
Gotham Dream Builders
great countertop
    Bookmark   July 18, 2013 at 10:58AM
sandiocd
Latest Before and After for 1900s Edwardian Home redo. We renovated a small bedroom into a nice large bathroom, trying to keep the traditional feel of our old home.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 12:11AM
sandiocd
Here is one of my projects for the bath. I found an old table at a thrift shop and made it into a dressing table for the large bathroom.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 12:14AM
apple_pie_order
Great black and white toile chosen for the fabric accents.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 7:23AM
sandiocd
Thanks, apple pie. I love toile. Next is crown molding and some decorative accents. Really happy to have more space because the bath on this floor was so small.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 8:28PM
Jenn Whitesails
I"m wrestling with teh same dilemna. To paint or not to paint, I just think it would be so much brighter painted! Wood is nice but so dark, I like traditional but sometimes you just need to brighten things up.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 7:10PM
4x4 sq foot bathroom in "new" (old) house - HELP!
Hello! My first post, please bare with me. We moved...
withakay
How do establish my home's "today" identity while honoring its history?
I have purchased a 1955 ranch. It has some really nice...
laureen108
POLL: Annoying Home Noises?
Vote and tell us what home noises drive you crazy!...
Houzz Polls
keep old windows or buy new windows for 80 yr. old house
I have a Georgian home that was remodeled 20 yrs ago...
comely
Plain Colonial - wanting some informal, inviting appealing Craftsman Details added
We purchased a 2 year old colonial cream sided, dark...
Amie Horvath
What should I add?
What color should the sofas be? Red? Cream/ivory? The...
lguzmanmd
update 60's bathroom
Right now I can't replace vanity, tub or counter/sinks...
Terri
I have an 8x11 rug to go into a smaller dining room whose table is not
i have an 8x11 rug to go into a 12x13 dining room....
kikiabanks
Help with wall art and rugs
Need advice on rug color and wall art and tables to...
Shannon Taylor
Filling Floating Shelves
I am trying to fill my new shelves in my Living Room...
jennstoltz