This room needs something - but what?
mojones677
I don't know what to do with the big wall behind the sofa. To me the room is almost there but needs something else to really make it special.
msmliss
I think a gallery of either art or family photos would be nice collected on that wall. Your room looks very comfortable! Enjoy it!
June 15, 2013 at 5:26am     
handymam
Perhap you could add 2 smaller pieces of art on each side of the larger art if you think it needs something larger. I don't think the art on the same wall behind the lamp is adding anything. Better to go for one big are of art. At any rate, I think the large art should come down a few inches.
June 15, 2013 at 5:58am     
motownmom
I agree with the above suggestions. When looking for wall art or paintings I like to take my time and find perfect accents for the main piece of art that centers the group. You can use complimentary styled frames, they don't have to match. I think it looks richer if they don't.
June 15, 2013 at 6:03am   
mojones677
Great suggestion! I am definitely on the look out for nice art pieces.
June 16, 2013 at 10:20am     
One big 40 x40 oil painting something dramatic over sofa. Remove all small art and mirror. Not needed. Add big ceramic pot with a palm next to sofa.
June 16, 2013 at 10:32am     
Shawn Schwartz
Taller lamps, more color in your comforter with some fun pillows.
June 16, 2013 at 10:47am     
michigammemom
I like your gold and cream color scheme, but would suggest introducing a robin's egg blue for throw pillows and accessories. Also try adjusting your area rug so that at least the front legs of your sofa rest on the rug. Removing the ornate valance will also help to update your room.
June 16, 2013 at 10:52am     
mojones677
Thanks again for the suggestions. Just went to calico corners yesterday and am having a new table cloth and square accent made along with pillows which have a bit of blue in the cording.
June 16, 2013 at 1:47pm   
Studio47 Architects, LLC
Needs more natural light and maybe some soffits with can lights.
June 19, 2013 at 3:38am   
2dogssashatess
I would clear all the stuff off the top of the white dresser e.g. the ducks
June 19, 2013 at 4:21am   
mojones677
These pictures were probably taken in the early morning. This room gets lots of light in the afternoon. I do have pot lights in this room and I should have turned them on for the pictures. A taller lamp is a good suggestion.
June 19, 2013 at 4:40am     
blrussell
I agree with the artwork suggestions. Have you thought about removing the valance and just having side panels? Right now it looks like you have a mix of formal and country with a preference for country..so I don't mind the duck etc. on the white cabinet...however, the flowers on the side table need to go..a small live plant would be much nicer. Also, if you are able, changing the coffee table to a more casual style would be a good idea.
June 19, 2013 at 7:34am     
Studio47 Architects, LLC
So I suspect you didn't mean an 'architectural' something. Just cosmetic? Which is fine of course. 'Less is more' is always a good fallback. When you think it needs one more thing, remove 2 or 3 things and see how it feels for a few days. What is behind you in the photo?
June 19, 2013 at 8:34pm   
Studio47 Architects, LLC
Ummm... I should probably know this but what's a pot light?
June 19, 2013 at 8:36pm   
julie_c
It's Canadian for "can light" :)
June 19, 2013 at 8:40pm     
Studio47 Architects, LLC
Ok, keep an open mind here. I'd replace the china cabinet and chair with a box type bookshelf and an oversized lounge chair. Remove everything from the walls except a large piece of art behind the sofa. Replace the heavy drapes and valance with white shear drapes. Just a few ideas, but that's probably more than you were expecting huh?. Good luck.
June 19, 2013 at 8:56pm     
vjs12
Behind the sofa a big tapestry would look nice or a large oil painting with sconces on each side. My family room has an entertainment cabinet across from the couch like you do. This is what I did to balance out the room.
June 19, 2013 at 9:07pm     
Denice Kelley
Sometime less is more. The "things " you have , will take the focus off of the pieces that really matter. To My POV
The room has lost balance due to the clutter on the hutch. The baskets and plants on the floor take up space.
The less you have on the floor you'll create space. The red wall is yelling " Hey look over her at all this clutter. Then
the eye continues up ....more color. For me the valance is way to heavy , this continues the clutter. A tailored valance or cornice would have been more appropriate.. in my POV ... also just because God gave you a wall doesn't mean he wanted you to hang a picture on it. One naked spot will allow your eye to roam so it can find
the next treasure instead of a trinket
June 19, 2013 at 11:40pm     
Debbie Wright
Yes I think it looks to dark and flowers would be great
June 19, 2013 at 11:45pm   
Debbie Wright
Bright colored peonies or sunflowers the white Flowers in the picture is to drab
June 19, 2013 at 11:47pm   
modernhome2000
Grandfather clock in white or wall shelving with your tea pot collection.
June 20, 2013 at 1:11am   
Hayley Finnis
Too much of the same colour. Consider painting the walls a colour opposite to the furniture on the colour wheel. Blue, green or red based.
Then add some art work/photos behind the lounge. Don't be afraid to use some different colours.
June 20, 2013 at 3:28am   
This room needs "something". What is it?
I love my small grey bedroom- but something feels "off"-...
I need to add something to our living room but not sure what.
I have to much brown and would like to add some color...
What is your favorite white to use in open great room with vaulted ce
Be drown leather, reclaimed wood tables and deep gray...
Is it possible to get a four piece bathroom in this space?
Hi, at the moment we have a situation where we want...
Design can change as you need .
We have own designer , can Design a unique design for...
Help! What to do with empty spots!!
At the advice of you sweet Houzzers, I ditched my tall...
What companies make grey painted kitchen cabinets?
I'm trying to avoid custom made cabinets. Does anyone...