Granite

tipupatelJune 15, 2013
Hi we wanted to put in granite in our kitchen and the one we liked is Titanium. We were told by someone that it is a softer granite and not suitable for kitchens. Is that true? If it is granite we would assume it has the same properties as any other granite and therefore it is a hard stone.

Pls advice. Many Thanks!
Nancy Hehmann
Don't know about that particular granite. I have granite in 3 rooms and love it. But I do know I brought home a sample once that literally crumbled in my hand. So it pays to be careful.
    Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 9:16AM
Riddle Construction and Design
See if you can get a small sample of it and run your own tests with mustard, wine, coffee etc to see how it performs. Also try abusing it with tools to see for your self how it reacts.
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 9:18AM
Granite Grannies
Not all stone sold as granite is actually classified geologically as granite. For example, Rainforest Brown Granite is a serpentinite. However, it would be pointless and confusing for countertop companies to try to file every color under their actual types. What most suppliers do is to categorize stones as granite or marble, based on their hardness and color patterns.

If something is sold as granite, then it should be absolutely fine. Who is this someone? Is it a stone professional or a friend who did a bit of internet "research".

I happen to be very familiar with Titanium Granite. It's an exotic, so I definitely would recommend having it installed by a quality local fabricator who knows what they are doing. Don't price shop Titanium. That said, the trouble with stones like that are almost all in the fabrication. It is trickier to cut and polish. Once it's in your kitchen, you shouldn't every have a problem.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 10:15AM
Granite Tops
I am a fabricator as well and would agree with Granite Grannies. This a perfect example of where getting a good fabricator is worth the extra money. It is true that Titanium is a difficult color to fabricate. I think the reason the fabricator is saying the stone is not adequate for a kitchen setting is that it will often have many small imperfections in the surface and the surface will not be "mirror-like" perfection. For many people this is a very difficult concept to grasp. The different geologic materials that make up Titanium polish at different levels and tend to show, chips, fissures etc. Many times those areas of concerns are filled with an epoxy at the quarry. I would suggest that you look very closely at the surface of the slab to see if you are ok with all of the inclusions that are present in the stone.
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 11:07AM
tipupatel
Thank you all for your input. We will have to think hard about Titanium. The persons who advised us were two different fabricators and they both seem to be saying the same thing and in line with what Granite Tops and Granite Grannies have said.
We may be back to the drawing board. Any advice on a granite with similar look to titanium? Our floor will be wood, cabinets butterscotch maple so a dark countertop would really bring out the color of the cabinets. i was hoping doe black subway tile to match the black in the titanium granite.

ANY advise is welcome!
    Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 4:33AM
Granite Tops
It is hard to tell what colors you have in your area but some possibilities may be Juparana Cordoba or Juparana Dream. These two colors are mainly black like the Titanium and also carry some of the browns you were describing.
    Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 6:11AM
Granite Tops
Juparana Cordoba is the one on the left and Juparana Dream is the one on the right.
    Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 6:12AM
Granite Grannies
Cosmic Black Granite has that black with white marble-esque veining in it and so does Bianco Tifone Granite.
    Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 8:21AM
Granite Grannies
Saturnia has a similar look, but is also difficult to fabricate.
    Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 8:27AM
Granite Grannies
Cosmic Black Granite · More Info
Cosmic Black Granite · More Info
    Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 8:28AM
tipupatel
Thank you so much for all the comments. They were truly appreciated!
1 Like    Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 7:31PM
Help with my Living Room! Too Brown????
Hello – I am looking on advice on what to do with...
jerry147
Lumber Liquidators flooring
I was wondering how long it will take for something...
GN Builders L.L.C
Window treatments and decor help
I was wondering if I could get some help with what...
sarahdallan
Am i missing something for my table?
I am not sure if I need more placements or if 2 are...
Janet Wolf-Hall
Help with too much black furniture.
I posted a similar question to this recently, but wanted...
pennywurst