2x8 construction?
staceta
June 15, 2013 in Photo Questions
Can anyone point me towards info on the environmental benefits of 2x8 construction (including a description of what it is)? Thanks!
FINNE Architects
Hello,
Thanks for your question regarding 2x8 construction at our Port Ludlow project. We have been using 2x8 wall framing instead of 2x6 for many years. There are several environmental benefits. First, is the extra insulation value: we insulate exterior walls to R-30 instead of the R-21 available with 2x6. On a percentage basis, that is a 42% increase in insulation value, resulting in considerable energy savings. Secondly, the 2x8 Construction allows us to detail completely concealed shade pockets above windows in all west, south, and east walls. The shade roll is invisible since it is contained in the wall above the window.
--Nils Finne, AIA
June 15, 2013 at 9:39am     
staceta
Thanks Nils - I should have also said that your house is gorgeous, well done!
June 17, 2013 at 12:29pm   
Flannel Flower
This is a really beautiful home. Congratulations. We have something very similar in mind (but in reverse). There is so much about your design and choice of materials, right down to the his and hers offices and use of corrugated metal siding, that we like. Especially love the roof/extended eaves, which is particuarly relevant for our East North East facing block on the Central Coast, NSW, Australia. Would you please tell us the name of the metal siding used and its colour ... the smaller ribbed panels look like Mini Orb? Many thanks, Megan. Congratulations again :-)
August 24, 2013 at 1:28pm   
Realtor
Can you tell me the width of this house.
August 25, 2013 at 2:41pm   
barchy
Could you please tell me the wood species and treatment for your gorgeous soffits?
November 17, 2013 at 9:38pm   
Ideas for accessorizing a fillable lamp
The lamp is on a screened porch in a suburban setting....
Need help with kitchen grout color
My backsplash Ann Sacks Devinshire beveled, crackle...
Need advice for DR Chairs
I would like to add two more chairs at the ends of...
Builder Grade to Craftsman Style
I have a pretty plain jane little white house and I...
Need help with patio windows and awkward kitchen design
I have the strangest house. I took out a wall to make...