Backsplash
ajkitson
June 15, 2013 in Polls
Need a backsplash. This one?
Yes
No
vandychick
I like the color, but I think the tile itself is too large. Would it be just that tile repeating? Will it be over the stove as well? I am just trying to get an idea of your plan. Have you tried any options with a smaller tile?
June 15, 2013 at 11:34am        Thanked by ajkitson
pcmom1
Could you stand back and post more pictures. That would help us with visualizing size.
June 15, 2013 at 12:00pm      Thanked by ajkitson
ajkitson
Yes to smaller tile.
June 15, 2013 at 5:50pm   
Since you all ready have the short granite back splash, I would only add something like a white subway tile.
June 15, 2013 at 5:55pm        Thanked by ajkitson
CDR Design
You seem open to new ideas. I like that.

Need long shot photo. Innappropriate size and also appears to be wrong color. You need something lighter in color with the dark granite and medium-dark cabinets.

Also, please have granite backsplash removed. This will give you a cleaner, not chopped look.
June 15, 2013 at 5:58pm        Thanked by ajkitson
Sandra Alger, CID, Fresh Ideas by Sandy
I would suggest combination of a stone/glass tile, that compliments the black granite and other colors in the room. More pictures would help.
June 15, 2013 at 6:02pm      Thanked by ajkitson
ajkitson
pcmom1 pics attached. Thanks everyone for your help!
June 22, 2013 at 12:18am   
CDR Design
Here is one idea that would work with your colors

]
June 22, 2013 at 3:43am     
inkwitch
Personally, this looks like too much brown with the tile being too much the same color as your cabinets. cdrdesign's idea is better inasmuch as it incorporates lighter (reflecting) tones that echo your stainless appliances, as well as dark brown tones. Herringbone pattern gives it a dynamic of movement, yet isn't busy. This is worth considering.
June 22, 2013 at 3:51am   
Sandra Alger, CID, Fresh Ideas by Sandy
Exactly what I had in mind. Love the pattern and light/dark combination.
June 22, 2013 at 5:48am   
CDR Design
Are you willing to remove the granite backsplash?
June 22, 2013 at 5:59am     
Genevieve
You need to find something in the grey family

Look at this one
it compliments your appliances,give the black a punch of vitality and brings a bit of sky in the kitchen to warm up the ambience

.
June 22, 2013 at 6:04am     
ajkitson
Yes, we can remove the current backsplash.
June 22, 2013 at 7:22am   
CDR Design
Oh good. That will make your backsplash and entire kitchen look so much cleaner and less choppy. The countertop installers are ingrained to install those little backsplashes and you have to pre-empt them not to.

Make sure you paint your electrical outlets or buy coordinating ones. Available at Lowes, Home Depot and Lutron.
June 22, 2013 at 7:26am     
ajkitson
Your thoughts on this one?
June 22, 2013 at 7:35am   
sweettealady
I like the idea of either style of tile seen above in comments,but seeing your yellow teapot green vase & lighting and rooster pics,I would suggest something in that color range...
June 22, 2013 at 7:35am   
Fuzing Glass
Just did a back splash for a similar kitchen application. We used stainless steel 1x2's with custom glass accent tiles randomly dispersed. The stainless tiles brought the appliances into the conversation and the glass brought color, We could pick up the green of your great pendant lights with the glass accent tile.
June 22, 2013 at 7:37am   
sweettealady
ooooh I was typing while you were posting new pic,lol... I really like that one... works w/ current counters,too
June 22, 2013 at 7:37am   
pcmom1
I just found that Lowes carries packages of a peel and stick stainless steel tiles, around 2 by 4 inches each. Sort of a combo of the old plus the new. Might see if you can find those. $20/foot. Let's you create your own pattern.
June 22, 2013 at 7:44am   
Genevieve
My thoughts..... are to keep it light ,the cabinets are already dark and so is the counter top if you add more darkness it will look like a cave ,but if that's what you like then go for it .
June 22, 2013 at 7:52am     
CDR Design
ajkitson, I like the colors in the one you posted, but think you also need to add some black, as in the one I posted. You are headed in the right direction, though. I would recommend that you bring home several samples and then post photos for us to see. How does that sound? We can vote.
June 22, 2013 at 7:53am     
ajkitson
Will do cdrdesign! By the way, green gloves are not staying. Cast too much green light...duh...didn't think if that one when I bought them! LOL Thanks everyone for your time and expertise!
June 22, 2013 at 8:23am   
ajkitson
Globes
June 22, 2013 at 8:23am   
CDR Design
.....not to mention, the green globes sort of come out of nowhere. Good choice to change them.
June 22, 2013 at 8:25am     
ajkitson
Cdrdesign...that's my next discussion post! ;)
June 22, 2013 at 8:30am     
sweettealady
I was looking thru www.houzz/photo/kitchen...under kitchen tiles and came across some lovely 4.25" tiles that would be pretty accent tiles...they were pricey,but wouldn't need many...connie's custom creations.net(I liked "world bazaar art tile " SKUT4-224 for your kitchen... good luck!
June 22, 2013 at 8:32am