Black granite out of style?
dardelossantos
Is black granite going out of style? Would like to do a facelift on my kitchen but I'm stuck with cream cabinets. Would black granite look nice to contrast the cream cabinets?
Scarlet Designs - Interiors by Tara
Black granite is a great choice with cream cabinets! Black in general has been and always will be a timeless color choice for almost every room of the house. Black granite can feel warm and inviting as well as cool and contemporary, depending on the other colors (walls, floors) of the kitchen. Just be sure to do an amazing back splash to bring it together!
0 Likes   June 15, 2013 at 12:52PM
bevballew
Black and cream is always pretty. I was told though black granite shows dust easily and water marks. I am not sure about the above picture but I don't think it has a nice well put together look.
0 Likes   June 15, 2013 at 1:03PM
sharpkl
Black granite is as timeless as marble. The surroundings are what dates it. The only people that think it is dated probably are trying to sell the newest trend.
0 Likes   June 15, 2013 at 1:28PM
Wyland Interior Design Center
I agree! Black is rich and elegant. It is timeless!
1 Like   June 15, 2013 at 1:31PM
bevballew
Glad hearing this feedback as I have a house where I want to put black granite and I hear negative feedback. I agree it is timeless, especially with cherry cabinets. Do you agree? So glad to hear such comments from the pros!
1 Like   June 15, 2013 at 1:54PM
dardelossantos
Thanks for the reassurance! Debating between black and tropical brown! Thoughts?
0 Likes   June 15, 2013 at 6:18PM
Wyland Interior Design Center
Although I like Tropical Brown granite and have worked with it several times, you will be limiting yourself to other colors that will go with it. You will need to go with more earth tones. Brown's are in vogue now, but won't be later on. Black is always popular and goes with everything.
1 Like   June 15, 2013 at 6:32PM
bevballew
I have what I think is called Baltic brown. It is the blotchy look with black and brown. It is all what you want.what are on the floors? Do you have a backsplash?
0 Likes   June 15, 2013 at 6:32PM
teachforteachyahoo
I have absolute black granite with a honed finish and I love it. It does, however, show crumbs and water rings so I feel like I'm always wiping it off. Doesn't bother me but some friends have commented that it would drive them nuts. I put saucers under dish and hand soap jars to cut down on visible rings.
0 Likes   June 15, 2013 at 6:38PM
moonblue
Have you considered soapstone for your black counter? It finishes with oil to a matte finish, is impervious to bacteria, stains, acids and chemicals. Depending on the slab it can scratch but scratches can be oiled or lightly sanded out. Patterning can vary. We love ours.
3 Likes   June 15, 2013 at 6:52PM
abaronne
I love the look of the black granite with the cream colored cabinets. However, my kitchen and living room are open to each other. What color walls should I do in the living room?
0 Likes   June 15, 2013 at 7:08PM
bevballew
Similar to kitchen color I would think.
0 Likes   June 16, 2013 at 5:31AM
dardelossantos
Thanks for the feedback. Here's a pic of the kitchen. We recently bought the house and knew we would need to update. Everything is cream and its driving me nuts! I'm worried the black granite may not go well with the cabinets. Although, many of you do not think that will be the case.

I love sonoma tile's karuna color for backsplash. Www.sonomatile.com
0 Likes   June 16, 2013 at 7:04AM
bevballew
Nice cabinets. Probably eventually changing up appliances to black will help. I see what you mean re black. It would work but it is if you want black is the question. Your backsplash looks nice. Do you like it?
0 Likes   June 16, 2013 at 7:21AM
grewa002
I have black granite, and while I like the look, it is hard to keep clean. Even with cleaning, it is hard not to see even the tiniest spot. My sister has a lighter colored granite, and you cannardly see even big spills!
Anna
0 Likes   June 16, 2013 at 7:23AM
bevballew
Link for backsplash did not work. I have black granite in my powder room with cream cabinet and it is gorgeous. You can add drape with color on the wall.
0 Likes   June 16, 2013 at 7:24AM
bevballew
I see no problem with black granite in a kitchen because those are counters cleaned almost daily anyway. Furthermore, by seeing things it causes one to clean more which is a good sanitary habit for the kitchen.
1 Like   June 16, 2013 at 7:38AM
dardelossantos
I don't particularly like the backsplash. Just adds to the cream overload and if we kept it I'm not sure black granite would go well.

Sorry here's the correct link. Www.sonomatilemakers.com karuna color.
0 Likes   June 16, 2013 at 7:41AM
037755
Nope. They are still beautiful.
0 Likes   June 16, 2013 at 7:45AM
Wyland Interior Design Center
The trick to pulling the black granite counter tops with the cream colored cabinets, is to have both colors in the back splash. You don't need to stick to just black and cream, you can also introduce other colors as well. Here is a kitchen project that I did that has the black and cream colors together.
1 Like   June 16, 2013 at 7:47AM
bevballew
Love that backsplash Wyland!
1 Like   June 16, 2013 at 7:56AM
dardelossantos
Thank you for the opinions! I will post pics once we're done!
0 Likes   June 16, 2013 at 8:13AM
Matt Patterson Custom Homes
Black DOES show every water spot. Had it in two personal homes, One kitchen, one wet bar...never again!
0 Likes   June 16, 2013 at 8:15AM
morpork
I had over 12 meters of black granite in the previous house I owned and can honestly say, if you use e-cloths to wipe the granite down after each time you use the kitchen you won't see water marks. You should wipe the sides down every time you use the kitchen anyway for hygiene reasons.
0 Likes   June 16, 2013 at 8:23AM
Wyland Interior Design Center
Yes, the Absolute Black does show water spots, which it shows you where you need to clean. Busier granites you have a hard time seeing what dirt and grime you missed. However, not all black granite will show water spots or ring marks. Consider going with one of these granite slabs.

Photo # 1- Bangal Black
Photo#2- Mesabi Black
0 Likes   June 16, 2013 at 8:44AM
Close to pulling all my hair out. HELP PLEASE!
I'm not sure which countertop to go with between two...
Am I heading in the right direction?
My goal is cottage style with craftsman influences....
Small living room
I have a very small living room (only 3 walls) that's...
Advice on furniture and colour choices
I am trying to decorate my house which is currently...
Need help on exterior updates! THANK YOU SO MUCH!
My brother in in-law and I are closing next week on...