HELP - We haven't bought a new sofa in 10 years!
kmartin12000
We are in the process of making our living room someplace where everyone will hang out. We just got a new TV. Had it mounted above the fireplace. Now I would like to get a sectional sofa that is great for LOUNGING. My living room is long and not too wide - 212 inches long by 171 inches wide. I have to leave a walkway to the kitchen on one side. The other wall is all windows. Do I have to center a sectional or can I place it closer to the windows? Keep in mind - the current sofa is pieces we put together of other sofas to see how a U shaped sectional would look.
Monarch Sofas
I love this picture! As long as you have enough space to walk between the sectional and the window I think your good. Most people in my business suggest a 3 foot space around any walk ways but you do have some leeway there (for instance by the window). Feel free to contact me directly if you need more assistance coming up with a solution. Good luck!
June 15, 2013 at 2:46pm     
suzie123
personally, i find the u a little cluttered. how will you get to the seat. i think it can absolutely be off centered! i am too looking for new sofas so thanks for posting. cant wait to see what people say.
June 15, 2013 at 3:13pm   
kmartin12000
Great point on getting to the seats. The middle piece is an ottoman that is movable but I guess if everyone else is already sitting down - whoever comes later would have to climb in. We did some experiments with the pieces of sofas we collected and people LOVE the corners. Thanks to Sofaworks for the advice. Good to know the guideline on how close it can be to the window. Hopefully we can get more people to weigh in. I love the different perspectives.
June 15, 2013 at 3:26pm   
apple_pie_order
If you get a sofa with two or three recliners built in, you can push back and watch tv up high while resting your head on the headrest.
June 15, 2013 at 3:47pm   
kmartin12000
Recliners are great but most of the time there will be at least 4-5 of us sitting and you can't forget the dogs:)
June 15, 2013 at 3:51pm     
apple_pie_order
I'd go with a sofa that seats 3 and two swivel recliners as the sides of the U. Dog bed under coffee table?
June 15, 2013 at 4:10pm   
kmartin12000
Actually one of our dogs is 140lbs so like having another person. I know - he shouldn't be on the furniture but he is part of the family. We are pretty set on a sectional but had planned for 2 recliners facing the sectional in front of our bookcases. So back to the original dilemma of the size and shape of the sectional.
June 15, 2013 at 4:28pm     
Genevieve
Long and narrow you said!
here is an idea for you :)

For the dogs ....just get slip covers to put on the sofa ,they are easy to wash and removed if you are having guests over.
June 15, 2013 at 5:14pm     
kmartin12000
I SO wish my format was long and wide like that room. Mine is the other way around and we had to put the TV above the fireplace. So the fireplace/TV is at the end of the long part. I guess long and narrow is a better description but thank you for the idea! Keep them coming.
June 15, 2013 at 6:22pm   
June 15, 2013 at 6:30pm   
jiangmeidesign
If you don't have 4-5 persons watching TV at the same time, I think you could put a sofa facing the fireplace, then put two chairs facing the sofa. If you want to watch TV, then put the two chairs by the sofa and face the TV. This arrangement can take advantage of your long side of the room.
June 15, 2013 at 6:53pm   
kmartin12000
Thanks for the advice and the article. I took away that I can push the sectional to the side. I'm
Going for 2 comfy chairs in front of the sectional. I'm think the best is going to be an L shaped sectional with a floating ottoman that makes a seat into a chaise but can be moved. I really appreciate all the comments. Just for your info we tested some seat depths and realized we like REALLY deep seats. Over 25 inches (inside depth) so that makes a whole new dilemma of how big can the whole sofa be.
June 16, 2013 at 2:04pm     
suzie123
Not really a sofa issue but wanted to mention that we get fleece throws from Lands End for our 90 lb dog. He loves how soft they are and gravitates to them. Then we can throw them in the wash and still keep the sofa fresh.
June 30, 2013 at 6:05pm      Thanked by kmartin12000
kmartin12000
Thanks for the ideas on the throw and the slip covers for the dogs. We started to go down the path of the sectional cushions being fabric on one side and leather on the other. Its still a possibility but got very pricey quick!
July 4, 2013 at 12:27pm   
Matching room to bedding?
I know you're supposed to style your room and then...
Please share ideas for a bedroom and closet for 4 boys
We will have 2 sets of bunk beds in an L-shape in the...
Help making my danish OLD summer (holiday) house look more modern
Hi there people! My parents have got this ooold "holiday-house"...
floor to ceiling tile for 9 x 12 bathroom
Can i use 3 x 6 tumbled travertine tiles in running...
Kitchen Update
Added an over the range microwave, back splash, and...