Fill in the Blank.....exterior face

laurencehowardJune 15, 2013
Re-painting tudorish home, but stumped with what to do with awkward space above garage door. I was thinking of getting diamond shaped trellis and painting it the trim color. What do you think?
laurencehoward
Here is the problem area
    Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 2:46PM
lin15
Any area to start ivy growing over your garage?
1 Like    Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 3:27PM
Terry Camerson
How about metal decorations like stars, suns etc.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 3:34PM
laurencehoward
I like the ivy idea...it would grow on trellis I hope?
1 Like    Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 3:39PM
laurencehoward
I wonder if metal would be too harsh?
1 Like    Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 3:40PM
lin15
Yes, believe or not under that is a custom trellis. We had a big open space after our builder made an error with windows. So I had the trellis made and painted it the same color as the house.
We have bad so much rain it needs trimming but it worked out great.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 4:11PM
lin15
I think it would look great... use English Ivy not this type. I would remove those white trellis in the front of your home the are blocking the pretty front.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 4:13PM
Barnhart Gallery
Pergola, tied into front entry, bringing over the keystone arch, perhaps? (Cursor over image to see all.)
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 4:50PM
laurencehoward
Wow! I especially appreciate the pergola idea, it helps balance the whole house.
    Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 5:05PM
John McLean, Architect
What is behind that wall area?
    Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 5:17PM
laurencehoward
There is a bedroom there with a pitched roof. You can see this more in the side view of the house. If we were to put a window in blank wall it would be at floor level.
    Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 5:25PM
sarabtrepanier
do you use garage? could put a 3-4 season room that comes off just under roof of garage and and could be like a sunroom. Could even do a peaked roof and mimic in a covered entry like your friend has drawn. :)
1 Like    Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 5:45PM
John McLean, Architect
I see. I'm guessing that the window sill of that bedroom window is maybe 3' off the floor. I think if it were my dilemma, I'd probably see what I could do with a dormer form that possible projected further forward than the face of the garage wall over the garage door. Maybe one might combine a window/narrow door at the face of the wall with a small balcony in front to create the projection. The idea is to try to make an accent area in this currently blank wall location.

The trellis idea is fine if (1) you've got enough space on the house side to drive the car by the new trellis supports, (2) you have some planting area at the base of those supports to start growing something that climbs, (3) the basketball backboard can be used elsewhere, and (4) you don't mind taking care of the vine. The trellis/vine would cut off the view of the wall above the closer one got to that wall, but from the street, the blank wall appears to remain pretty visible.

The trellis idea is cheaper than adding a dormer form of the nature of the one I suggested, but you just have to layout the trellis components carefully to make sure everything fits and you don't have any problems. While you might think of connecting the trellis to the house on that side, there are other issues that come up when you do that related to different movement of the house and the trellis support on the other side, i.e., waterproofing.

I don't know how strong a design person you are, but try drawing an elevation of something that would look good and see where that takes you. You might also ask for a few hours of consultation with a local design person.
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 5:50PM
laurencehoward
John, I appreciate your consideration of the blank dilema. You present all the right considerations. If we were to open to small balcony (great idea) we would still need supports similar to those used for pergola, no? There is a closet at one end (left as you look at the pictures) of the wall that might work well to open up. Sara, great idea to convert garage (currently storage area, and like to remain that) into 3 season room. Nice to hear from you!
1 Like    Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 5:54AM
John McLean, Architect
The usefulness of the dormer/balcony idea depends on the layout of your current room above the garage space and how disruptive it would be to it's layout (the way the room needs to function, particularly if you have very low ceiling height close to the exterior walls) to include such a balcony (and access to it).

The side view of your house, because of the roof framing direction, suggests that the room's floor framing runs perpendicular to the blank wall in question, but that would surprise me. I think the floor framing runs parallel with the short side of the garage, not the long side. I mention this because the balcony should ideally be framed as a cantilever off the wall. (There would be no supports going to the ground as the trellis framing would have.) If the existing floor framing of the room is perpendicular to the garage's blank wall (garage door side), it would e relatively easy to sister several new floor joists onto existing joists for the balcony. If the floor framing is parallel to the blank wall, one would have to do more involved framing changes to the floor framing depending on how far out the balcony was to extend.

If the balcony does not extend out very far from the house wall, one could also try supporting it with struts at an angle to the house wall and not change any of the existing floor framing. Essentially, you wold be attaching triangulated framing to several studs in the wall above the garage door opening. (I'm assuming that you prefer whatever balcony is added to be of the same finish appearance as the rest of the house, rather than an obvious add on as would be the case, say, if you purchased a small metal structure on which one might set flower pots to help decorate a building facade. (Think Paris.)

Once again, I encourage yo to talk with a local architect or builder if you want to develop the idea further to discover the difficulties of pulling things off. I find that a lot of what appear to be good CONCEPTUAL ideas become not so hot when you get into the details of trying to make them work in what appears to be an effortless manner. You don't want the finished job to appear forced.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 8:22AM
Help me fill in the blanks!
I need help filling in the blank canvas that is my...
sheri1061
I need help on filling an empty corner in my living room!
I have a sectional with a chaise along my window but...
nica93
Small, door-filled entryway
I have gotten so much wonderful advice directly from...
kcmnc
Kitchen Unit Doors discontinued - Ideas to fill gap?
We're recovering from a fire in our kitchen and currently...
Lesa Husband
HELP! how do i fill this room?
there are so many challenges with this room. i dont...
Felicia C
Built-ins. HELP!
I have this huge wall in my home that faces my living...
Jalene Taylor
Help: Powder Bathroom Lighting Ideas?
Hi! I recently moved, but the new house (old house...
Sara Puentes
An Unfinished Living Room
A while back we purchased a sofa, two chairs and ottoman...
andoverlakes
Paint colors- urgent help needed!
On Monday, painters are coming to do our entire apartment....
domesticimpostor
want to build a cottage on fathers farm
I want to build a small cottage on my aging fathers...
koprandy