Landscape help please!
lin15
Last year we cleared out the front of wooded area of our yard. We planted some small nine barks, roses( knockouts ) they died, a few azaleas not much luck either. There are two sides separated by a driveway up to our home. We need to shore up the slope with something to stop soil erosion. I need color! We have many deer that roam free and we are in the Midwest. Thanks for suggestions!!
Terry Camerson
The area looks like it gets a lot of shade. Does it? Roses will not do well in shade. If you get a lot of shade there, and you are in the Midwest a lot of shade perennials do not have a lot of color. Bleed hearts would give you some color in the early spring and ferns would fill in nicely also, maybe throw in a few hostas. To add color to my shade gardens at my house in the Midwest, I throw in a few large pots and plant then with shade annuals. As for you deer . . . they will love to eat all of my suggestions : ) Good luck!
June 15, 2013 at 4:18pm     
lin15
It is an east west exposure. Bright morning sun till about noon.
June 15, 2013 at 4:23pm   
claudiann
Hostas and hydrangeas
June 15, 2013 at 9:10pm     
lin15
We have hosta plants ringing the trees this area is not fed by my sprinkler system, the twist and shout hydrangea did not survive the heat.
June 16, 2013 at 8:02am   
lin15
Those are hostas ringing the trees, not a great picture. I did have some twist and shout hydrangea but when we had high temps they failed.
June 16, 2013 at 8:04am   
printesa
I would try roses again,,they are pretty sturdy,especially the knockout. If you have morning sun, that should be plenty for them. Russian Sage is also very resistant and it looks great all year long. You might get some geraniums (there is an idea book here about geraniums for outside,,really great flowers).Mums are also great.
June 16, 2013 at 8:07am     
printesa
June 16, 2013 at 8:07am     
njcook53
Try highcountrygardens, search for shade plants. They have an indicator in the description which will tell you what flowers are water-wise. I have found at least four flowers that would work: Helianthemum, Agastache rupestris, Clematis scottii and Salvia 'Maraschino'. Be sure to pick plants for your zone. Good luck!
June 16, 2013 at 8:28am     
HI -- Most plants that flower are great food for deer . I think you should check with your local garden center for ground covers for the slopes and maybe you could add some color with shrubs that are colorful but without flowers , like barberry , which are a beautiful rich red . A great ground cover is creeping phlox or pachysandra or winterberry. carpet junipers .Low growing Not sure if the deer likes those . Some deer repellents that might work are original Irish spring soap or dog hair . Put into little bags made from pantyhose or socks tied on some garden stakes placed in and about through the garden beds . You could reduce the size of the flower beds so you don't need to fill with so many plants . I like the look of just grass growing under and around the trees , a more natural look. Not so much to mow around . There are also no - mow grasses now . Don't have to water or mow .
June 16, 2013 at 8:52am     
lin15
How far into the wooded area will roses survive? On one side of the driveway it is much more open. I am having a hard time with placement of different flowers and I know I must have a strong ground cover at the bad of both areas. Thanks!!
June 16, 2013 at 8:52am   
lin15
No mow grass? Do you know the actual name. I am almost regretting this entire venture. Behind those trees sits our home... and it was begging to look like jungle as everything was growing wild.
June 16, 2013 at 8:58am   
Rachel Reid
Ninebark, azalea/rhododendrons and hydrangeas really should've worked. Maybe try planting smaller plants (1 gallon) and ensure they get enough water the first year to establish a good root system. Last year's drought was a horrible time to try to establish a new bed! Oakleaf hydrangeas tend to do better in shade. Bottlebrush buckeye, virginia sweetspire, witch hazel, mountain laurel, and dogwood may be other options. Good luck!
June 16, 2013 at 8:59am     
lin15
I do have nine bark in there an quite a few. Placement is challenging !!!
June 16, 2013 at 9:06am   
Rachel Reid
I grew up with a gardening mother and grandmother. I'm not quite as talented. This has been helpful: http://www.amazon.com/The-Layered-Garden-Year-Round-Brandywine/dp/1604692367
June 16, 2013 at 9:10am     
printesa
Roses need at least a few hours of sun..if you go too much in the shade, they won't do well. There are some roses that do well in shade, too, but not too many. For the shade you can try hostas and some hydrangeas.
June 16, 2013 at 9:58am     
lin15
Thanks Rachel Reid, I have ordered that book.
June 16, 2013 at 10:09am   
HI - Lin -- Most garden centers should have an " ECO " grass under several brand names . The kind I got was -- Wildflowers Farm's " Eco - Lawn " - from Coldwater, Ontario, Canada and it's certified to be sold in the States too. I think they have a web site where you can buy on- line. About the roses -- -you could get some old fashion bush roses , they have a strong rose scent and have lots of thorns to keep the deer out , but are a bugger for gardeners , so that is something to think about . Your property is very beautiful and lush . Looks very old world and romantic .
June 16, 2013 at 1:32pm     
Need help with landscaping this hill side please!
We just moved to PA from TX, so we have no idea what...
new patio and landscape path. help please!!!
10feet width by 80 feet length One side 11 feet high...
Landscaping... Please help!!
I moved into a brick ranch a few months ago and I need...
Landscaping help! Please!
We have a beautiful mulberry tree smack dab in the...
Backyard landscaping help, please
We recently purchased a historical landmark mediterranean...
POLL: Best Home Security System?
Everyone wants to make sure their home and family is...
Please help me create a romantic bedroom!
I saw this quilt in the PB store, fell in love with...
What kind of backsplash?
Just installed crema pearl granite in my kitchen. Cabinets...
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
Okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...