Need help with living room design
california57
Can someone please advise for living room design. We have just completed a massive extension and home renovation. And have fairly much a blank canvass. The living room is 5.2m X 5.3m, the ceiling lights are all recessed. The flooring is wide oak planks, the skirting boards will also be oak. We are not attached to any furniture, but want to keep the spend reasonable. We tend to like contemporary with a few mahogany antique pieces. Any proposals on layout and style would be welcomed. Thanks
OnePlan
Hi ! Lovely area to have !! If you go on the DFS website they have a free room planner that has their sofas in - that can be fun to try them all !! If you have already wired up for you TV in a specific place can you add a rough plan with that position marked ?! Will help Houzzers on the thread ! Also how many people do you regularly need to seat in here ?!?
    Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 3:30AM
california57
We would sit up 5 normally
    Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 1:24PM
A Crew of Two
The room has two focal points- the fireplace and the gorgeous window of walls. So I would create two seating areas. Maybe choose chairs with a small table for the window area and then a larger sofa with chairs for the other. A large fabric ottoman would be great. Modern Eclectic Living Room by Darbyshire Designs 1 Modern Eclectic Living Room in Circle C Modern Eclectic Living Room by Darbyshire Designs 2 Chic Victorian UP05
1 Like    Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 1:55PM
lilma16
You would want to leave that whole wall of view open as well as the fire place. ill create a quick design and show you a layout that I think you'd like.
    Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 4:42PM
lilma16
I couldn't get the fireplace in but I hope this helps
    Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 5:43PM
Ed
Hi California57, very pretty flooring! :) Congrats!
    Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 6:41PM
california57
Thanks Kelly for your suggestions. I love the shape of the arm chairs in the last photo you attached.
    Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 10:51PM
COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
- hi @california57.
I know this is off-topic, but are you sure that you can alcove your freestanding stove like that? The opening around it looks a lot closer than any manual I've seen will allow. With all of that work you're doing, I'm sure you'd prefer not to burn down the house . . .
    Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 7:55AM
woollymama fiber arts
When you are adding those finishing touches keep in mind that pillows can make a room. Custom colors and designs to match any decor. Hand made in the U.S. Good luck with your room, it is always fun to see a new space unfold!
    Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 8:01AM
Best Tile & Wood
Love the paint color! If you want to warm up the fireplace wall, you could but slate "ledger stone" on that wall only. It will bring in beautiful earthy warmth and really make that area the focal point. Built in book cases on either side of the fireplace would also look amazing!
    Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 9:16AM
Mona Ives
I would suggest that it's impossible to give professional advice that can be relied upon without full measurements and details. For this reason, I'd suggest you contact a professional in your area (Houzz has a great pro directory) and let them know your needs. Perhaps sit with them and discuss at length your seating requirements, lifestyle, functional uses for the space, and have them work out a floor plan for you with measurements that you can use to shop yourself. This is usually an inexpensive service and will yield much more usable results than posing the question on Houzz discussions thread. For instance, have you thought about whether or not you want a desk in the space for doing bills or using your laptop more conveniently? Have you thought about whether there might be use for a game table, or one where your kids (if you have them...) could do homework or eat snacks, or what you can use as a buffet during large parties. When you complete a renovation like this, you have to determine how the space will now be used and incorporated into your life. Without doing this you will likely buy the wrong type of furniture for your needs. A designer should and would discuss all these details with you, look around the rest of your house, make suggestions, and give you an accurate, professional floor plan to work from. I hope that this advice if helpful to you and wish you the best.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 9:33AM
OnePlan
I think they are in UK !! Lol ! Some great ones here too !!!
1 Like    Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 9:38AM
california57
Hi coastroad

There is special material used on the inside of the chimney breast and the flue is double lined. The fireplace company installed the fireplace as well as the liner. I would not have trusted the builder. In the UK I'll receive a certificate that it has been properly installed. Also it'll have building survey signing off as well. But let's hope that it doesn't burn down the house!
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 12:28PM
california57
Thanks for your comments. Yes I am based in the UK
    Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 12:30PM
COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
Excellent! No worries, then.
    Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 1:09PM
life4real
Love your paint color and floors! really beautiful!
1 Like    Bookmark   July 21, 2013 at 1:23PM
Need help with living room design
Looking for modern, minimalistic ,kid friendly design...
huz101
Need help with living room - design for patchwork kilim rug!
New house and the living room design is really making...
Eve Bentovim
Need help with living room design?
My living room is small and narrow. I can't seem to Figure...
hollyjade88
Need help with Living room design
My living room is off the foyer. Need help with design...
Heather Clark Corbin
Need help with living room design
This is the design of the previous owners and we recently...
crussev
HELP with the front of my house!!
I DESPERATELY need to do something with the front of...
kathleenkennedy41
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
toatsmcgoats
How can I decorate a wall above an off-center sofa?
Hello, I’m trying to decorate the wall above the...
hamfighter
Spray painting furniture
Should I spray paint unfinished wood furniture or paint...
joellesperkins
Help me find this chair!
Saw this in a model home.... I want to know where to...
mrslahman