Any advice on outdoor hot tub?
dimity59
June 16, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We are thinking of adding a small two person hot tub on an outdoor master bedroom deck. Is this something we will regret later? I am thinking of maintenance, noise, electric use,etc. Or is this something we will wish we had done sooner? Any advice from experience appreciated!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Harding Construction & Sustainable Solutions
I like soft tubs. Built efficient and just big enough for 2 people comfortably. You may be able find one used on Craigslist. If you find yourself not using down the road you could probably sell it close to what you bought it for.
June 16, 2013 at 9:36pm     
PRO
Matt Patterson Custom Homes
If it is something u will use not a waste. If not spare the expense.
June 16, 2013 at 9:40pm     
nwduck
Hot tub owner here. These are things to consider: 1) do you have a jetted tub inside already? If so, it is redundant, 2) is this area visible by others? If so, you need to fully enclose it because you will soon get tired of putting on a swimsuit to use it, 3) be prepared to maintain the PH with chemicals regularly and drain it/refill it on about a quarterly basis. Time and logistics may be in play here, 4) if you work out, or have kind of creaky joints after a day of yard work, and do not have #1, it's great, 5) depending on the weather where you live, you may or may not use it year-round, but still need to maintain it and 6) the recommended duration of a stay in the hot tub is about 15 minutes. If you don't think you will use it almost daily, don't do it. Despite the brochure pictures, you won't be lounging it it drinking wine for an hour once a week. Hope this helps!
June 16, 2013 at 11:54pm     
dimity59
Thanks! We have only a shower inside, which makes this appealing. Would love to use it daily, but am concerned about draining and maintaining. That's so funny about pictures! Yes are all beautiful people with a glass of wine. Have alot to think about, appreciate advice.
June 17, 2013 at 3:41am     
PRO
OnePlan
I have a cedar hot tub 5' diameter - just enough for two ! We heat it by burning wood and garden rubbish in the burner ! So in my opinion its greener than an electric one. We empty it and re fill it on the day we want to use it ! So the water is fresh each time ! Takes an hour to fill it and 4 hours to heat it ! So that's the only down side really ! But you can get a gas chofu heater to speed things up a bit!!!!
June 17, 2013 at 6:09am