Any advice on outdoor hot tub?
dimity59
We are thinking of adding a small two person hot tub on an outdoor master bedroom deck. Is this something we will regret later? I am thinking of maintenance, noise, electric use,etc. Or is this something we will wish we had done sooner? Any advice from experience appreciated!
Harding Construction & Sustainable Solutions
I like soft tubs. Built efficient and just big enough for 2 people comfortably. You may be able find one used on Craigslist. If you find yourself not using down the road you could probably sell it close to what you bought it for.
June 16, 2013 at 9:36pm     
Matt Patterson Custom Homes
If it is something u will use not a waste. If not spare the expense.
June 16, 2013 at 9:40pm     
nwduck
Hot tub owner here. These are things to consider: 1) do you have a jetted tub inside already? If so, it is redundant, 2) is this area visible by others? If so, you need to fully enclose it because you will soon get tired of putting on a swimsuit to use it, 3) be prepared to maintain the PH with chemicals regularly and drain it/refill it on about a quarterly basis. Time and logistics may be in play here, 4) if you work out, or have kind of creaky joints after a day of yard work, and do not have #1, it's great, 5) depending on the weather where you live, you may or may not use it year-round, but still need to maintain it and 6) the recommended duration of a stay in the hot tub is about 15 minutes. If you don't think you will use it almost daily, don't do it. Despite the brochure pictures, you won't be lounging it it drinking wine for an hour once a week. Hope this helps!
June 16, 2013 at 11:54pm     
dimity59
Thanks! We have only a shower inside, which makes this appealing. Would love to use it daily, but am concerned about draining and maintaining. That's so funny about pictures! Yes are all beautiful people with a glass of wine. Have alot to think about, appreciate advice.
June 17, 2013 at 3:41am     
OnePlan
I have a cedar hot tub 5' diameter - just enough for two ! We heat it by burning wood and garden rubbish in the burner ! So in my opinion its greener than an electric one. We empty it and re fill it on the day we want to use it ! So the water is fresh each time ! Takes an hour to fill it and 4 hours to heat it ! So that's the only down side really ! But you can get a gas chofu heater to speed things up a bit!!!!
June 17, 2013 at 6:09am     
Whirl pool bathroom tub vs outdoor hot tub
I am looking at two distinct possibilities for stress...
How to seal an outdoor ipe deck surrounding a hot tub?
Does anyone have a recomendation on products to use...
Outdoor hot tub or update master bathroom
Master bathroom ....2 sinks HUGE "Garden Tub" no jets,...
outdoor hot tub stone
Wondering if this is a landscaper's work or a regular...
Bathroom floorplan
I just don't like the way the builder has this bathroom...
Headboard to go with danish teak dressers?
I'm re-doing my Master bedroom and currently we have...
POLL: Tiny Houses - Yes or No?
Do you see tiny houses and long to pitch your belongings...
Door Color
This is a new construction and the floor is in. I was...
Cedar Vaulted Ceilings - need flooring advice!
We have a beautiful vaulted ceiling (stained cedar)...