What style of door to close off our bedroom?
wickedwhite
June 16, 2013 in Polls
We love our open concept loft. It has high ceilings and loads of natural light. We are looking to add doors to close off the bedroom for privacy, but we want to maintain as much of the airy design as possible. For now, we plan to keep the wall open near the ceiling. Our bedroom is 11X11. The doorway faces three shaker style doors. Which style of doors would you choose? Also, please comment and let us know if you would integrate the wood pillars into the new door design or lose them altogether. Thank you!
Galileo Construction Inc.
Bonjour, Frosted glass barn style. Put them maybe on the outside of the room ,they would also complement the doors already in place.
June 16, 2013 at 5:52AM     
wickedwhite
Hi Galileo, would you keep the pillars?
June 16, 2013 at 6:06AM   
wickedwhite
Here's what the bedroom looks like.
June 16, 2013 at 6:08AM     
Galileo Construction Inc.
Bonjour, Yes and I would probably add some glass ( that looks like the one in the doors) on the open space above the wall. Good luck
June 16, 2013 at 7:41AM     
June 16, 2013 at 7:48AM   
wickedwhite
Hi Galileo, I sent you an email. Hope you can help.
June 16, 2013 at 10:09AM     
Dana Veach
If you have wall room for the barn doors, then I think that would be a lovely option. Otherwise, the swing doors would give much the same look...with glass insets in both cases. I like the columns/pillars. They add a sense of strength and architectural detail. I personally vote for leaving the space above the wall open, thereby increasing the air flow and sense of visual space. That would, of course depend on whether you need the bedroom more "closed off" due to preventing sound intrusion from the rest of your home.
June 16, 2013 at 10:56AM     
wickedwhite
Thanks Dana! We do have room for the barn doors.. especially if we install them in the hallway. We are a little concerned about how the track will clear the pillars, but are hoping we can figure out a workaround if we go that route. The doors are needed for privacy, not noise control. It's nice to have bedroom doors when people stop over and the room is a mess!
June 16, 2013 at 2:10PM     
mefor
I like the barn doors.
June 17, 2013 at 3:53AM   
wickedwhite
If we go with barn style doors, what finish for the track? Flat black? Raw Steel? They also have stainless steel, but it is twice the price! Pls advise.
June 22, 2013 at 7:51AM     
mefor
How about dark bronze finish, if available. Great with the woodwork. If not, or if its too expensive, flat black or raw steel would be fine, but the raw steel should be sealed to keep it from getting rusty, unless you want that look, in which case seal it once it gets to the rusty patina you like, to keep it from rusting any further. :)
June 22, 2013 at 9:15AM     
wickedwhite
Sliding doors will be installed Tuesday. Should we hang them in the hallway or in the bedroom. What looks best? If we hang them in the bedroom, they will obstruct the light switches. Maybe not the end of the world. We would just need to slide the door closed again to reach them. Also.. We will be painting the doors white to match the trim. Thanks!
July 6, 2013 at 10:56AM     
mefor
Looks good in bedroom, if you don't mind sliding for lights, then I'd go for that. If its a pain, do the other side. They're going to look great!! Good luck with install :)
July 6, 2013 at 11:15AM   
wickedwhite
Thanks mforr. I can't wait to see them painted! I bought some nice pulls too. My boyfriend really likes the doors in the hallway, but we're looking to sell the place in about a year and I want to make sure it suits the taste of potential buyers. My sense is most people would prefer the doors to be on bedroom side. Thoughts? Anyone else want to chime in?
July 6, 2013 at 1:45PM     
mefor
Hey, everyone!!! Check out this thread!! :)
July 6, 2013 at 1:53PM      Thanked by wickedwhite
marybyrne
I think that the doors in the hallway would be a better fit. If I was a prospective buyer I would not want to move doors to get to the light switches, that could be a real pain. Very nice doors and they go with the space nicely.
July 6, 2013 at 2:17PM        Thanked by wickedwhite
bluenan
I vote for the hallway side, they don't interfere with anything and I think the framing and glass inserts add an interesting visual element to the hall.
July 6, 2013 at 2:20PM        Thanked by wickedwhite
Ann
I agree that the light switches need to remain accessible with a closed or open door, so I'd also choose hall side.
July 6, 2013 at 2:26PM        Thanked by wickedwhite
armygirl1987
What door did you go with, is it custom. I will be looking at the same thing soon for my closet door..
July 6, 2013 at 3:41PM     
Dana Veach
I agree with putting them on the hallway side. Not being able to turn a light on or off without moving the doors would drive me batty! They could be hung so that they never fully expose the side columns/posts, thereby leaving an "edge" to grab from the bedroom side so that they could be pulled closed from inside the bedroom without any trouble...just my 2 cents worth.
July 6, 2013 at 4:09PM        Thanked by wickedwhite
wickedwhite
Hallway side it is! Thanks everyone. Angela .. I found these doors on the shelf at Home Depot.
July 6, 2013 at 8:01PM     
mefor
Hooray, decision made, that wasn't too painful :)
July 6, 2013 at 8:04PM        Thanked by wickedwhite
wickedwhite
One last question! Should we paint the doors the colour of the trim or would we be better to paint them the wall colour? They will be visible from the living room when open... and I imagine they will be more open than closed.
July 8, 2013 at 7:20PM   
mefor
Paint them the trim color, they're a great focal point against the wall, contrast will be fine :)
July 8, 2013 at 7:31PM     
Ann
My vote is trim color too.
July 8, 2013 at 9:09PM     
wickedwhite
The track is on a piece of wood. Should it be the trim colour or the wall colour?
July 9, 2013 at 6:59AM   
Treat all wood like wood trim unless it is mounted where you want it to blend with the background color of the area it is attached to. I have a cream sliding door, but the track is painted green because it appears to be part of a green built-in bookcase and is attached to a green wall. Do you want the track to blend or pop?
July 9, 2013 at 7:32AM     
mefor
Hi wickedwhite, I think I like the track to blend in, the only way I'd want it to show would be if it was a metal bar and then it could be a cool feature. :)
July 9, 2013 at 7:48AM   
bluenan
Your initial poll example of sliding doors, shows it the same color as trim, but it has the black, statement hardware. Will yours be a metal color track with rollers on the top of the door, or something more decorative. If not decorative, just functional, I think I'd paint the wood to match the wall so it recedes when the doors are closed.
July 9, 2013 at 7:55AM     
wickedwhite
Here's a shot. I feel like the track should probably blend in...? And just have the doors pop?
July 9, 2013 at 8:27AM     
bluenan
That's a nice wooden track cover, what about staining to match the wood beam?
July 9, 2013 at 8:32AM     
mefor
I agree with bluenan, I'd match the crosspiece to the posts. In fact, it's the best to match them since they cross over.
July 9, 2013 at 8:35AM     
wickedwhite
They're installed! We could stain them instead of paint them. Might be difficult to match the pillars though..
July 9, 2013 at 4:55PM     
mefor
Wow, they look great!! The good thing is you could either paint or stain, it's going to look fantastic either way. I love them, good job, wickedwhite!! :)
July 9, 2013 at 4:59PM     
bluenan
They do look really nice! Try to find out what kind of wood it is, fir or poplar probably. If it's pine you'll need to use a conditioner first so you can control the stain penetration to prevent an uneven finish. You can try staining and if you can't get a satisfactory match, just go ahead and paint. Talk to the company that made the track cover and maybe they'll have a scrap piece you can use to test stain colors. Good luck and good job!
July 9, 2013 at 5:34PM     
wickedwhite
Good suggestions! And yes Bluenan, the doors are made of pine.
July 10, 2013 at 4:06AM     
wickedwhite
Just to be clear.. Are you suggesting I stain only the track? And then paint the doors white?
July 10, 2013 at 4:08AM     
mefor
Hi, I think she was suggesting everything. Either way though, it's going to be sweet :)
July 10, 2013 at 4:27AM     
mefor
Well, reading it again, she did mention getting extra piece of track rail cover, so maybe she meant just that? Hmmm... I can see the confusion. We will have to wait for bluenan to check in !! Are you going to paint/stain today?
July 10, 2013 at 4:31AM     
bluenan
Hi There,
I meant only staining the track cover and keeping with your original idea to paint the door the white trim color. I had the same reasoning that mforr had about the track crossing the beam, therefor, staining would tie those two elements together. The doors should stand alone and painting them will make a nice more contemporary contrast against the more rustic wood. I was only offering a tip on how to make it easier to match the stain on the beam because you had voiced a concern about that. Sorry for the confusion...boy, you girls get up early!
July 10, 2013 at 5:56AM     
mefor
Morning, bluenan :)
July 10, 2013 at 6:00AM     
bluenan
Mornin'
July 10, 2013 at 6:06AM     
Just wanted to weigh in. That is one (well, two really) beautiful door!
July 10, 2013 at 6:19AM     
I like just as they are, but you might want them to match the wood uprights they are against so I think I'd stain them.
July 10, 2013 at 10:08AM     
wickedwhite
I see what you mean. I agree that staining the track to match the pillars is a good idea, and keep the doors white. I will see what can be done. Painting is scheduled for Friday. Got new kitchen counters installed today! When it rains, it pours..
July 10, 2013 at 5:17PM     
mefor
Lucky you, progress!! :)
July 10, 2013 at 5:43PM   
wickedwhite
Thanks Moore. We are getting there slowly but surely. :)
Here is a close up of the pillar. As you can see there are many colour variations. Should I try to stain the track to the lighter or darker colour? More questions!
July 10, 2013 at 5:52PM   
mefor
I think I'd try to get it close to the medium color in post, wow that's a lot of variation!
July 10, 2013 at 6:03PM     
mefor
Closer
July 10, 2013 at 6:04PM   
mefor
The color in the very center of last picture
July 10, 2013 at 6:05PM   
Ann
What an exciting day! Can we see a picture of your kitchen with new counters?
July 10, 2013 at 6:24PM     
wickedwhite
Voila!
July 10, 2013 at 6:28PM     
bluenan
Oh, beautiful! Aren't you thrilled?!
July 10, 2013 at 6:31PM     
mefor
Looks great, wickedwhite! Happiness in your household tonight! :)
Woohoo!
July 10, 2013 at 6:31PM     
wickedwhite
Here's a closer shot. Love it!
July 10, 2013 at 6:34PM     
wickedwhite
Thanks ladies. Yes! Happy to see it all coming together. Progress!
July 10, 2013 at 6:35PM     
khgott
Everything looks really great! I'm so jealous when I see such progress because I'm still in the "getting it all together, figuring out what exactly to do" stage! Lol! Hopefully I'll get there sooner rather than later! Congratulations!
July 10, 2013 at 6:51PM     
Ann
It's beautiful - I bet you love it!
July 10, 2013 at 7:41PM     
wickedwhite
Here is the track stained. What do you think? Also view from inside the bedroom.
July 12, 2013 at 5:16PM     
I think it looks great. No handles on the inside? Isn't it a pain to open?
July 12, 2013 at 5:24PM     
marybyrne
Wow that is beautiful! I'm sure that you are very happy with the gorgeous out come Enjoy
July 12, 2013 at 5:24PM     
armygirl1987
That is one fine door wickedwhite.
July 12, 2013 at 5:30PM     
mefor
Looks fantastic!! I really love the look in your home, great job! :)
July 12, 2013 at 5:35PM     
bluenan
Love it! That door is so cool; love the handles, the white paint, and the stained track. It's all come together so well!
July 12, 2013 at 5:46PM     
Ann
Great job. It looks fantastic!
July 12, 2013 at 6:24PM     
craljh
fabulous !!!
July 12, 2013 at 7:12PM     
wickedwhite
Yay! It was a challenge to match the stain, but I think it turned out pretty good. I agree that we need handles on the inside. I'm a little disappointed with the outside ones too. I didn't expect the screws to be visible on the back. Might look to change those too.
July 13, 2013 at 4:50AM     
craljh
can you chisel out the wood and put recessed handles on the bedroom side ?
July 13, 2013 at 9:50AM     
jabbott2012
Counter sink the screws on the back side of the handles. Then you can put in a small wood plug and paint to match the door.
July 13, 2013 at 10:10AM     
Close to pulling all my hair out. HELP PLEASE!
I'm not sure which countertop to go with between two...
Need a 2500 sq ft house plan with a large master bedroom
I'm looking for a craftsman style house plan that has...
What color should I paint the walls of my daughter's bedroom?
I am going to repaint the walls of my 8 year old daughter's...
Does my house need more pop
I need help putting some pop in my curb appeal.
Beige vinyl window interior frames frustration
Please help me reduce the intrusion of the beige vinyl...