What style of door to close off our bedroom?
wickedwhite
June 16, 2013 in Polls
We love our open concept loft. It has high ceilings and loads of natural light. We are looking to add doors to close off the bedroom for privacy, but we want to maintain as much of the airy design as possible. For now, we plan to keep the wall open near the ceiling. Our bedroom is 11X11. The doorway faces three shaker style doors. Which style of doors would you choose? Also, please comment and let us know if you would integrate the wood pillars into the new door design or lose them altogether. Thank you!
Galileo Construction Inc.
Bonjour, Frosted glass barn style. Put them maybe on the outside of the room ,they would also complement the doors already in place.
3 Likes   June 16, 2013 at 5:52AM
wickedwhite
Hi Galileo, would you keep the pillars?
0 Likes   June 16, 2013 at 6:06AM
wickedwhite
Here's what the bedroom looks like.
1 Like   June 16, 2013 at 6:08AM
Galileo Construction Inc.
Bonjour, Yes and I would probably add some glass ( that looks like the one in the doors) on the open space above the wall. Good luck
1 Like   June 16, 2013 at 7:41AM
0 Likes   June 16, 2013 at 7:48AM
wickedwhite
Hi Galileo, I sent you an email. Hope you can help.
1 Like   June 16, 2013 at 10:09AM
Dana Veach
If you have wall room for the barn doors, then I think that would be a lovely option. Otherwise, the swing doors would give much the same look...with glass insets in both cases. I like the columns/pillars. They add a sense of strength and architectural detail. I personally vote for leaving the space above the wall open, thereby increasing the air flow and sense of visual space. That would, of course depend on whether you need the bedroom more "closed off" due to preventing sound intrusion from the rest of your home.
2 Likes   June 16, 2013 at 10:56AM
wickedwhite
Thanks Dana! We do have room for the barn doors.. especially if we install them in the hallway. We are a little concerned about how the track will clear the pillars, but are hoping we can figure out a workaround if we go that route. The doors are needed for privacy, not noise control. It's nice to have bedroom doors when people stop over and the room is a mess!
1 Like   June 16, 2013 at 2:10PM
mefor
I like the barn doors.
0 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 3:53AM
wickedwhite
If we go with barn style doors, what finish for the track? Flat black? Raw Steel? They also have stainless steel, but it is twice the price! Pls advise.
1 Like   June 22, 2013 at 7:51AM
mefor
How about dark bronze finish, if available. Great with the woodwork. If not, or if its too expensive, flat black or raw steel would be fine, but the raw steel should be sealed to keep it from getting rusty, unless you want that look, in which case seal it once it gets to the rusty patina you like, to keep it from rusting any further. :)
2 Likes   June 22, 2013 at 9:15AM
wickedwhite
Sliding doors will be installed Tuesday. Should we hang them in the hallway or in the bedroom. What looks best? If we hang them in the bedroom, they will obstruct the light switches. Maybe not the end of the world. We would just need to slide the door closed again to reach them. Also.. We will be painting the doors white to match the trim. Thanks!
3 Likes   July 6, 2013 at 10:56AM
mefor
Looks good in bedroom, if you don't mind sliding for lights, then I'd go for that. If its a pain, do the other side. They're going to look great!! Good luck with install :)
0 Likes   July 6, 2013 at 11:15AM
wickedwhite
Thanks mforr. I can't wait to see them painted! I bought some nice pulls too. My boyfriend really likes the doors in the hallway, but we're looking to sell the place in about a year and I want to make sure it suits the taste of potential buyers. My sense is most people would prefer the doors to be on bedroom side. Thoughts? Anyone else want to chime in?
1 Like   July 6, 2013 at 1:45PM
mefor
Hey, everyone!!! Check out this thread!! :)
0 Likes   Thanked by wickedwhite    July 6, 2013 at 1:53PM
marybyrne
I think that the doors in the hallway would be a better fit. If I was a prospective buyer I would not want to move doors to get to the light switches, that could be a real pain. Very nice doors and they go with the space nicely.
7 Likes   Thanked by wickedwhite    July 6, 2013 at 2:17PM
bluenan
I vote for the hallway side, they don't interfere with anything and I think the framing and glass inserts add an interesting visual element to the hall.
4 Likes   Thanked by wickedwhite    July 6, 2013 at 2:20PM
Ann
I agree that the light switches need to remain accessible with a closed or open door, so I'd also choose hall side.
6 Likes   Thanked by wickedwhite    July 6, 2013 at 2:26PM
armygirl1987
What door did you go with, is it custom. I will be looking at the same thing soon for my closet door..
1 Like   July 6, 2013 at 3:41PM
Dana Veach
I agree with putting them on the hallway side. Not being able to turn a light on or off without moving the doors would drive me batty! They could be hung so that they never fully expose the side columns/posts, thereby leaving an "edge" to grab from the bedroom side so that they could be pulled closed from inside the bedroom without any trouble...just my 2 cents worth.
3 Likes   Thanked by wickedwhite    July 6, 2013 at 4:09PM
wickedwhite
Hallway side it is! Thanks everyone. Angela .. I found these doors on the shelf at Home Depot.
4 Likes   July 6, 2013 at 8:01PM
mefor
Hooray, decision made, that wasn't too painful :)
1 Like   Thanked by wickedwhite    July 6, 2013 at 8:04PM
wickedwhite
One last question! Should we paint the doors the colour of the trim or would we be better to paint them the wall colour? They will be visible from the living room when open... and I imagine they will be more open than closed.
0 Likes   July 8, 2013 at 7:20PM
mefor
Paint them the trim color, they're a great focal point against the wall, contrast will be fine :)
4 Likes   July 8, 2013 at 7:31PM
Ann
My vote is trim color too.
1 Like   July 8, 2013 at 9:09PM
wickedwhite
The track is on a piece of wood. Should it be the trim colour or the wall colour?
0 Likes   July 9, 2013 at 6:59AM
Treat all wood like wood trim unless it is mounted where you want it to blend with the background color of the area it is attached to. I have a cream sliding door, but the track is painted green because it appears to be part of a green built-in bookcase and is attached to a green wall. Do you want the track to blend or pop?
1 Like   July 9, 2013 at 7:32AM
mefor
Hi wickedwhite, I think I like the track to blend in, the only way I'd want it to show would be if it was a metal bar and then it could be a cool feature. :)
0 Likes   July 9, 2013 at 7:48AM
bluenan
Your initial poll example of sliding doors, shows it the same color as trim, but it has the black, statement hardware. Will yours be a metal color track with rollers on the top of the door, or something more decorative. If not decorative, just functional, I think I'd paint the wood to match the wall so it recedes when the doors are closed.
1 Like   July 9, 2013 at 7:55AM
wickedwhite
Here's a shot. I feel like the track should probably blend in...? And just have the doors pop?
3 Likes   July 9, 2013 at 8:27AM
bluenan
That's a nice wooden track cover, what about staining to match the wood beam?
5 Likes   July 9, 2013 at 8:32AM
mefor
I agree with bluenan, I'd match the crosspiece to the posts. In fact, it's the best to match them since they cross over.
4 Likes   July 9, 2013 at 8:35AM
wickedwhite
They're installed! We could stain them instead of paint them. Might be difficult to match the pillars though..
8 Likes   July 9, 2013 at 4:55PM
mefor
Wow, they look great!! The good thing is you could either paint or stain, it's going to look fantastic either way. I love them, good job, wickedwhite!! :)
3 Likes   July 9, 2013 at 4:59PM
bluenan
They do look really nice! Try to find out what kind of wood it is, fir or poplar probably. If it's pine you'll need to use a conditioner first so you can control the stain penetration to prevent an uneven finish. You can try staining and if you can't get a satisfactory match, just go ahead and paint. Talk to the company that made the track cover and maybe they'll have a scrap piece you can use to test stain colors. Good luck and good job!
3 Likes   July 9, 2013 at 5:34PM
wickedwhite
Good suggestions! And yes Bluenan, the doors are made of pine.
1 Like   July 10, 2013 at 4:06AM
wickedwhite
Just to be clear.. Are you suggesting I stain only the track? And then paint the doors white?
1 Like   July 10, 2013 at 4:08AM
mefor
Hi, I think she was suggesting everything. Either way though, it's going to be sweet :)
1 Like   July 10, 2013 at 4:27AM
mefor
Well, reading it again, she did mention getting extra piece of track rail cover, so maybe she meant just that? Hmmm... I can see the confusion. We will have to wait for bluenan to check in !! Are you going to paint/stain today?
1 Like   July 10, 2013 at 4:31AM
bluenan
Hi There,
I meant only staining the track cover and keeping with your original idea to paint the door the white trim color. I had the same reasoning that mforr had about the track crossing the beam, therefor, staining would tie those two elements together. The doors should stand alone and painting them will make a nice more contemporary contrast against the more rustic wood. I was only offering a tip on how to make it easier to match the stain on the beam because you had voiced a concern about that. Sorry for the confusion...boy, you girls get up early!
2 Likes   July 10, 2013 at 5:56AM
mefor
Morning, bluenan :)
1 Like   July 10, 2013 at 6:00AM
bluenan
Mornin'
2 Likes   July 10, 2013 at 6:06AM
Just wanted to weigh in. That is one (well, two really) beautiful door!
3 Likes   July 10, 2013 at 6:19AM
I like just as they are, but you might want them to match the wood uprights they are against so I think I'd stain them.
1 Like   July 10, 2013 at 10:08AM
wickedwhite
I see what you mean. I agree that staining the track to match the pillars is a good idea, and keep the doors white. I will see what can be done. Painting is scheduled for Friday. Got new kitchen counters installed today! When it rains, it pours..
2 Likes   July 10, 2013 at 5:17PM
mefor
Lucky you, progress!! :)
0 Likes   July 10, 2013 at 5:43PM
wickedwhite
Thanks Moore. We are getting there slowly but surely. :)
Here is a close up of the pillar. As you can see there are many colour variations. Should I try to stain the track to the lighter or darker colour? More questions!
0 Likes   July 10, 2013 at 5:52PM
mefor
I think I'd try to get it close to the medium color in post, wow that's a lot of variation!
1 Like   July 10, 2013 at 6:03PM
mefor
Closer
0 Likes   July 10, 2013 at 6:04PM
mefor
The color in the very center of last picture
0 Likes   July 10, 2013 at 6:05PM
Ann
What an exciting day! Can we see a picture of your kitchen with new counters?
1 Like   July 10, 2013 at 6:24PM
wickedwhite
Voila!
3 Likes   July 10, 2013 at 6:28PM
bluenan
Oh, beautiful! Aren't you thrilled?!
4 Likes   July 10, 2013 at 6:31PM
mefor
Looks great, wickedwhite! Happiness in your household tonight! :)
Woohoo!
4 Likes   July 10, 2013 at 6:31PM
wickedwhite
Here's a closer shot. Love it!
3 Likes   July 10, 2013 at 6:34PM
wickedwhite
Thanks ladies. Yes! Happy to see it all coming together. Progress!
3 Likes   July 10, 2013 at 6:35PM
khgott
Everything looks really great! I'm so jealous when I see such progress because I'm still in the "getting it all together, figuring out what exactly to do" stage! Lol! Hopefully I'll get there sooner rather than later! Congratulations!
3 Likes   July 10, 2013 at 6:51PM
Ann
It's beautiful - I bet you love it!
3 Likes   July 10, 2013 at 7:41PM
wickedwhite
Here is the track stained. What do you think? Also view from inside the bedroom.
6 Likes   July 12, 2013 at 5:16PM
I think it looks great. No handles on the inside? Isn't it a pain to open?
2 Likes   July 12, 2013 at 5:24PM
marybyrne
Wow that is beautiful! I'm sure that you are very happy with the gorgeous out come Enjoy
1 Like   July 12, 2013 at 5:24PM
armygirl1987
That is one fine door wickedwhite.
2 Likes   July 12, 2013 at 5:30PM
mefor
Looks fantastic!! I really love the look in your home, great job! :)
1 Like   July 12, 2013 at 5:35PM
bluenan
Love it! That door is so cool; love the handles, the white paint, and the stained track. It's all come together so well!
3 Likes   July 12, 2013 at 5:46PM
Ann
Great job. It looks fantastic!
1 Like   July 12, 2013 at 6:24PM
craljh
fabulous !!!
1 Like   July 12, 2013 at 7:12PM
wickedwhite
Yay! It was a challenge to match the stain, but I think it turned out pretty good. I agree that we need handles on the inside. I'm a little disappointed with the outside ones too. I didn't expect the screws to be visible on the back. Might look to change those too.
5 Likes   July 13, 2013 at 4:50AM
craljh
can you chisel out the wood and put recessed handles on the bedroom side ?
1 Like   July 13, 2013 at 9:50AM
jabbott2012
Counter sink the screws on the back side of the handles. Then you can put in a small wood plug and paint to match the door.
1 Like   July 13, 2013 at 10:10AM
What to do with a small "dead" space off our bedroom!
This space is 5' by 38". It's a dead space we refer...
globeman
How to close off a bedroom doorway at the top of a staircase?
We have a narrow house with a bedroom on the 3rd floor...
Nancy McFalls
Closing off the bedroom
We are looking to close off our bedroom from the rest...
wickedwhite
What to do with off center fireplace, tv and furniture placement.
My 1954 ranchelo living room is 15 x 13 and I don't...
zeeveezee
Basement Bar Design
We are renovating our unfinished basement and it will...
msjames021
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
toatsmcgoats
Kitchen Counter Dilemma!
Hi everyone! It's my first time posting! My husband...
Marissa DiGennaro Burg
Plse help teen bedroom
Recently purchased mew home, my son wants his room...
michellewilmott