Kitchen with too many doors.
tomgrandy
In the process of stripping the woodwork and pulling down the ceiling now. We will pull up the four layers of linoleum and replace the subfloor with new.

Outside of that, I am wide open to ideas. I do know an island is a must to make up for lack of counter space and storage. Cannot strip built-in wooden cabinet because the wood has been chopped up or replaced with new pine instead of oak.

This is a turn-of-the-century home that we have been working in for almost twenty years saving the kitchen for last. Would like to have the never-ending project finished.
huttonxs3
Are you updating the house to a more modern look? Where do the doors lead to? I mean if not anywhere that can not be accessed elsewhere you can just dry wall it up....Love your stove. How much room do you have beyond the island?And the wall that protrudes next to the stove....what is on the other side? Can it not be flushed? or is it a support wall? In the first picture I'm assuming the doors are actually the pantry? (next to the sink?")
June 16, 2013 at 8:28AM   
tomgrandy
Thanks for taking the time to help me out with the design dilemma of the century!

Tastes are eclectic, but not modern. Attic is the only modern decor in the house. Parlor is Moroccan, Living Room is Indian, and dining room is Asian. Odd, but we like it.

All doors lead somewhere. One outside, one to the walk-in pantry and one to the basement. Can't wall the in.

Five feet from the edge of the island to the stove. Attached is the new island going in which is larger yet.

The protrusion next to the stove is the chimney. Again, can't move or bust through (though I am thinking of removing the plaster to expose the brick).

The wall behind the stove is the Dining Room which my wife does not want to tear down (two doors leading intothedining room as well as a set of pocket doors from the Living Room.

Door on sink side is basement entry. Door next to back exit is the pantry.

All cabinets come out.

huttonxs3
June 16, 2013 at 9:07AM   
If you have a floor plan handy then it's easier to find possible solutions that could eliminate some doorways.
June 16, 2013 at 9:12AM   
huttonxs3
Depending on the size of the walk in pantry you could widen the door way and put sunken in cabinets instead or use it for your refrigerator with a cabinet on the side if it would fit. The trim around the window I like personally, but the trim around the doors in the first picture look so different they need to be removed and updated in my opinion. A butcher block type counter top for the island would be lovely and if you can move it back by a foot or two that would help you out considerably. Butcher block like the picture above. Then use a different counter top for the rest. The island shown above is nice with shelves and drawers that will add a lot of room for storage for yourself. Next to the stove you could add a small skinny shelving unit of some sort with a "counter top" to not only give cooking room but a great place for things quickly needed at the stove...spices, or cooking equipment....or just to use for mixing those eggs before adding to the skillet. Paint all of the trim work in white and use a lively colour that compliments your variouse taste. I love colour and making things different...I don't wnat mine to neccessarily look like everyone elses so I think your taste sounds wonderful. You could also paint the cieling with some dramatic scroll work to spunk it up.
June 16, 2013 at 9:29AM   
huttonxs3
oops I just realize I need my eyes checked the stove is flushed so my stove idea wouldn't work! lol
June 16, 2013 at 9:31AM   
A Crew of Two
You say you do not want to remove the wall between the dining room and kitchen...is a pass through an option? This still gives you a wall for cabinets. I would do the upper cabinets 42" so that you have extra storage. Can you move the refrigerator to the wall of cabinets (to the left of the sink)? This would eliminate the elephant in the middle of the room and allow for a larger island. I am not sure of your budget or the amount of work you are willing to take on....but is the pantry large enough to convert to a back hall? You could move the outside door to enter through what is now the pantry. It may be way more than what you intended to do. But this would give you more wall space.
June 16, 2013 at 10:07AM   
Too many doors! Does anyone have sliding doors for their kitchen?
We have a little apartment and want to make the most...
How many sliding doors are too many?
I love the industrial sliding barn door look - am planning...
Black Doors: how many is too many?
My open floor plan has 4 doors on open hallway then...
black doors: how many is too many?
here are the pictures I forgot to post from below below...
Too many doors! Help with ugly entry from Garage.
We are remodeling kitchen and laundry room and have...
Awkward, ugly, old cabinets
Please help! I am 21, and I'm renting a house that...
Narrow Kitchen - Need help on Table Design
I have a narrow kitchen with a narrow island and it's...
Furniture placement for long living room
I am ready to start making over our boring living room,...
Rearranging living room furniture
I have many entrances to my living room, which makes...
Linear shower drain
How much of a slope (inch per foot) do you need to...