Did I miss the mark on my backsplash color/design?
larawin
When I chose my backsplash design, I fell in love with the crackled subway tile from grazia rixi in mandorla (the chair rail and flowered pencil tiles are of the same line and color though the glazing on the beveling tends to make the shades look different than the subway, unfortunately). And I also fell in love with the cracked glass tile in the center (vista frost)....when I chose them, they were all the exact same shade of subtle gray/blue in the samples and even when they came in, but now that they are up on my wall it is driving me crazy that the cracked glass looks green and doesn't seem to match. Something about it all just bugs me and I can't help feeling like I totally missed the mark with my tile color selections here. If I was going to do a different color in the middle I would have chosen something more obviously different....now I just feel it looks odd. I'm regretting not going with the subway in a herringbone pattern in the middle like I originally planned and now it would be too costly to change. Opinions? Any ideas on how to decorate around it on the countertops to make it make sense or does it look ok? I believe I just had something different in my head and so now I'm just staring at it constantly wondering if I am just being too critical. I took a few pics with different lighting to help show the issue.
Andrea Prasch
I like the subway it does look grey to me in the pictures.The tile above the stove does look a little green though. Maybe you could just replace that part? It may be making the rest of your tile seem green. Love the rest of the kitchen though!
June 16, 2013 at 9:18AM   
sharleeg
I see what you mean,nice colors but you need to repeat that green now to make it work better, maybe in the runner,say a mix of grays and pale green or in plates/objects above on shelf, pale glass canisters, etc. Best of luck!
June 16, 2013 at 9:36AM     
beachlass
Beautiful cabinets and tile work. Can you ask a local artist to create a couple of ceramic wallpieces, ones that would incorporate both colors in an artistic pattern or picture and hang them on both sides of the stove? Right now what seems to be a color mismatch is very obvious to you because they are the only two colors in view. Once you distract the eye with some other subtle colors that are analagous, things will look more coordinated.
June 16, 2013 at 9:37AM   
larawin
Andrea, I'm afraid it would be too messy/costly to have them try to bust out the middle tiles and redo. The tiles alone were all pricey enough to make me shutter at the thought, though I have considered it! Maybe someone on here knows a thing or two about it. The grey subway tile was the color I was aiming for across the board and the cracked glass in the middle has that mason jar shading to it (so I'm definitely planning on trying to integrate those into the decor).

And Christine...thank you. I was going for monochromatic. The painting up top is actually a photo printed on wood...but it's just a placeholder until my mom can bring me her old vintage painted serving platter, which is a dark brown/black piece with lighter colored flowers painted on. It's a toss up between that and her old vintage copper platter. I'm really loving the way my copper ice bucket is popping and want to add some more! Thanks ladies. Any more ideas or advice please share!
June 16, 2013 at 9:38AM     
larawin
Just a couple more pics to highlight some stuff. My only saving grace (I think) appears to be in the granite. Both colors do show up in different spots throughout, but unfortunately not obviously enough for the greens, in my opinion, to bring attention to it for anyone other than me who is looking for it. I do like the ideas of clear canisters and other art work.
June 16, 2013 at 9:47AM     
Sasha Retana
I really don't see a big problem.... But I know how it is to have sudden buyers or designers remorse ponce it's all up! If you really think those tiles look greenish, I'd add some green and other hues within the same tonality throughout the kitchen. If you can't beat it, play it up!
June 16, 2013 at 9:50AM     
Sasha Retana
Glass barely green canisters, big glass bowl of green grapes or pears...
June 16, 2013 at 9:52AM     
I rather like this iridescent look. You addressed what I was going to comment on - the shelf art. I would give the copper a go. Now you may think I am being nit picky but I would replace those 2 tiny round pulls under the stove top with 2 horizontal bars. I would also paint the shelf above the dark color in the rug, grey I think, korbels too, it would balance the color.
June 16, 2013 at 9:53AM   
larawin
Oops... *shudder!!
June 16, 2013 at 9:55AM   
michigammemom
Your backsplash is tasteful, subtle and a lovely partner to your gorgeous granite. I rather like the slightly darker color of the mosaic crackle tile above the cooktop. It's meant to be a focal point.
June 16, 2013 at 9:59AM     
Sasha Retana
I agree, it's really nice.
June 16, 2013 at 10:03AM   
njmomma
Beachlass brought up a great idea! I would have a mosaic tile border created for the bottom half of the stove hood that would implement both colors of the tiles used, plus a third color. Or you could have someone paint a basket like the one below and have all the colors included on the bottom of the stove hood.

Some inspirational pics.
June 16, 2013 at 10:06AM     
Maybe on mosaic over stove could add some color. Accessorize with some color to. Pick accent and go with it.
June 16, 2013 at 10:06AM   
Instead of pic over stove go 3 tall glass bottles on one end only or nothing.
June 16, 2013 at 10:07AM   
I would do pulls in long brush nickel. Instead of bronze knobs.
June 16, 2013 at 10:08AM   
larawin
Margo...I can relate to nit picky. Especially on my own project, I'm a perfectionist (especially when spending hard earned cash!). So, to respond to your hardware selection...we actually are putting crystal knobs on the top stove drawer and the two cupboards on either side, as I did in these photos of my sink. Just waiting for them to come in. If I did paint anything I'd probably have to go with the blue of my island or the stain of my breakfast bar (not installed yet, so no pics available). But thanks everyone for all the suggestions and going easy on me! I know it's not the end of the world, and I'm so thankful to have gotten a new kitchen, but the devil is in the details when it comes to design, and no matter how hard I thought all my decisions through, i still learned the hard way on a few of them!
June 16, 2013 at 10:12AM     
larawin
Oops, hardware *suggestion.....I'm just full of typos today! I love the painting on tile idea. That's pretty awesome....my brother is an artist, it would be a nice personal/sentimental touch. Loving all these ideas....keep them coming please! And thank you!! (I'm feeling so much better and my husband will be grateful to you all as well so that I can stop bugging him with it!)
June 16, 2013 at 10:17AM   
jabber629
I think it's gorgeous in fact if I ever did a kitchen I'd want to do that
June 16, 2013 at 11:37AM   
Andrea Prasch
Okay now looking at the closer pictures that you have posted I think its gorgeous and it works. It's so hard to tell in pictures sometimes on here but yes I agree with others leave it and think that the area rug compliments the kitchen beautifully!
June 16, 2013 at 10:40PM   
small bathroom inside bedroom help
hello, I have a 5m×5m room and I need to have a bathroom...
Every house deserves a name
Does your house have one? Would you like it to? Please...
What to do about these chairs....
I would like to get rid of the leather bar stools at...
Need help deciding on a backsplash and wall color for kitchen.
My cabinets are dark cherry with black stain(I think,...