need help for window treatments
gmenichello
need window and sliding door treatment suggestions. this room will be an eat in kitchen area. afternoon sun comes through windows and is blinding. already tinted windows, but still an issue. also need solution for 1/2 moon shaped window on top since sun enters here as well. would still like to filter in the light. hate the idea of covering up these windows, but we can't take the afternoon sun in our eyes anymore! thought about roman shades, but that would not help the window on top (1/2 moon shaped)
anne dee
automated concealed roller blinds as shown in this inspiration pic

click under pic for more details
June 16, 2013 at 9:57AM     
JMittman Designs
Do you have a big budget? I saw a beautiful arched top roman shade made once. You could do romans on the windows and traversing curtains or sheers on the doors.
June 17, 2013 at 8:44AM   
Mona Ives
Those are good suggestions, and there are cellular shades and solar shades which can be cut to fit the upper transom but you will have to pay an arm and leg to get them motorized since you won't reach them. You could also have a fabric starburst made to fit the transom but it will cost you big bucks and also it will always be there so you won't get any light filtering in.

I have a transom like that in my own bedroom which gets tons of sun, and this is what worked. Hang two traversing rods or a double rod over the top of the transom and go all the way from left to right of the bottom windows. Hang sheers and also full drapes over that. The sheers will filter but allow light in from all the windows and will even work great when it's sunny. The drapes can be closed (via traverse rod) to restrict the light when it is unbearable. This effect will make the side windows look taller since the rod will be so far above them. You can either use a decorative double traverse rod, or create a valance to go straight across the top and hide the non-decorative traverse rods underneath. This would be a custom job. I would match the effect on the doors for consistency but you're looking at a big investment no matter what you do, unless you're ok with leaving the transom uncovered.
June 17, 2013 at 9:53AM   
joshhoy
valance is recommended. And here is the suggestion for fabrics. A good option to echo the view outside

June 18, 2013 at 3:07AM   
Sasha Retana
I have arched windows in the bedroom and plan to do this:
June 18, 2013 at 4:00AM     
Sasha Retana
I think it keeps the beautiful look and helps w light, and you can still enjoy the view if u open partially
June 18, 2013 at 4:01AM   
Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
This a beautiful and classic Palladian window which can at times be difficult to dress. Complicating things here is the height of the ceiling at the right side of the window.It apears that a rod on top of the arched portion will not go all the way across the entire window. If it can then that is the easiest solution and least costly but most boring. If it can not then the next would be a rod above the arch and then a rod above each window with straight panels that traverse or have a wand to pull them closed. The idea of shears behind them will help as well. I have made for clients, arched top roman shades and this is very expensive but will work and the arched part can be hung at any height that feel as it is in proportion. Try putting in Palladian window treatments in the search bar and see what comes up.
June 18, 2013 at 4:07AM   
Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
June 18, 2013 at 4:11AM     
Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
June 18, 2013 at 5:03AM   
Best Service Decorators
How about cellular shades? There are two different solutions that can work with arched cellular shades. You can either have them horizontal and open by compressing downwards to the base. Or you can have them open sunburst style (if your window is a perfect arch). You will need to install the arch shade onto the top of the lower shade.

Either way, with cellular shades, you will get a solution that will allow you to switch from light protection to full view easily.
June 18, 2013 at 7:21AM   
BTX Window Automation
Found a video for motorized arch windows:
June 20, 2013 at 1:29PM   
risris
I probably spend half my time on Houzz begging people to wall in their half-moon windows. Think of how many heat/light/window covering problems it solves, and how much more your eye will be drawn by your gorgeous view rather than by your awkward window shapes/"solutions."
June 20, 2013 at 6:13PM   
Shade And Shutter Systems, Inc
A great product is called "Q motion" shades. There are wires to hook up, they are extremely quiet, and operate on D batteries which have a life of up to 5 years! We highly recommend them, and you can see more about them on the Q motion website, or on ours. shadeandshutter.com
June 21, 2013 at 7:05AM   
ResCom Designs
The choices for cathedral windows are usually slim. Consider
1. Shutters which will, in my opinion ruin the view that you presently have.
2. cellular shades: they have a slim profile and can easily be lifted to acquire the spectacular view. Cells also have an insulating property that will help reduce the strain on your heating and cooling equipment.
3. Window Film, aka tint: The view remains while still reducing the heat transfer into the room and eliminating the glare of that daytime sun.
4. Lastly there is EZ Snap: an outdoor application that can be removed in the winter to utilize the warming effects of the sun. Its a simple and cost effective way to shade the windows
June 21, 2013 at 4:12PM   
Need help! Lots of windows and need help with window treatments
Sorry about the lack of pictures... But, this is my...
Need help with window treatment ideas for lv rm window seat window
Hi, I am trying to give my living room a more polished,...
Need help for window treatments over window seat
My sheers that used to cover the windows had an unfortunate...
Need help for window treatment for 2.5 metre by .5 metre window
Please advise me on how to treat a wide, high window...
SD- Bow window.Need window treatment help
Have a bow window made up of five- 19" windows that...
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
Need some help/inspiration updating my newly purchased 60's home
Hey all, I need some help and insight into what might...
What color do we paint our kitchen?
Hello everyone my wife and I have a dilemma as to what...
Which Cabinets do you prefer?
If you could have any cabinets in your home what would...
Help Needed for furniture
I am thinking of making furniture for this wall. I...