Curb appeal / landscaping help
whoapony
Looking for ideas to redo the front of our house and front yard. We will be putting a new roof on the house in the fall, along with have some trees limbed up. We have thought about painting the brick because of the terra cotta orangey color. Along with redoing the front porch any help would be great. The yard is mostly shady, except the side by the driveway in the afternoons. Thanks so much
lin15
Paint (all from Benjamin Moore): Iron Mountain ( shutters) Galveston Grey (trim), Onyx (accent) Consider a lighter roof in multi shades of grey. I think I would paint the home base the Galveston also. I would consider a new front door.
June 16, 2013 at 2:25pm      Thanked by whoapony
037755
The only thing I would say is not to paint the brick. I saw it once and although they did a good job it did not look good. Maybe you could make the porch bigger if you are having trouble with grass. We did that in the backyard except with a deck and it turned out great. Good Luck!
June 16, 2013 at 2:27pm   
037755
Also maybe you could take out the shutters. They may look outdated.
June 16, 2013 at 2:28pm        Thanked by whoapony
lin15
Take down the huge numbers also on your home porch. I don't have an issue with the shutters if they are in good condition.
June 16, 2013 at 2:32pm        Thanked by whoapony
Fred S
First thing I would do is make the porch columns bigger. Then get rid of the foundation color. Make it a sandstone color and face the porch concrete with a sandstone block veneer.
June 16, 2013 at 2:34pm        Thanked by whoapony
Keitha
I wouldn't recommend a light colored roof since you do have a number of trees around your house which could quickly discolor the new roof. Stay with a dark multi-dimensional roof. For quick inexpensive fixes I would recommend a fresh coat of paint on the shutters ( dark gray) and paint out the gray that is currently below the brick the color of your brick to blend the two elements. Replace the posts on the porch with more substantial ones, remove the storm door and paint your front door a fresh new color. Manicure the larger bushes across the front of your house and fill in bare areas with complimentary shrubbery. Good luck!
June 16, 2013 at 2:43pm        Thanked by whoapony
grannythedecorator
Love to see a pic when you have it completed....homes are a work in progress....personally, I'd leave the shutters but paint them a different colour depending on what you end up doing with the brick....you don't say what area of the country you live in so it's difficult to suggest any particular plants....we're in SW Ontario so hostas a wonderful perennial if you don't care for gardening or it you are unable to garden....they can easily be separated in the fall and you'll have twice as many plants....I have 23 large flower gardens but one of my favourites is a secret garden at the north side of our home that is all ferns and hostas....there is just something so peaceful about it....I'll include a couple of pics of those "green" gardens and also the front ones that are filled with coneflowers, phlox, battchelor buttons which are all perennials....you can see what a difference they make....have fun....post some pics when your'e done so we can all see.....have a great day
June 16, 2013 at 2:45pm        Thanked by whoapony
whoapony
Thank you all so much :) great ideas :) we have thought about going with the gray colors to brighten it up some. I agree with the roof color definitely darker because of the trees. and yes that storm door definitely needs to go, I'm ready for that thing to have a funeral :) We were thinking of staining the porch a brown coppery color, then putting new shutters in a dark chocolate brown or just leave them natural wood. then on the side of the house we have thought about pulling up the azeleas (gone wild) and with landscape timbers put in a terrace type flower bed with different levels with a japanese maple on the corner by the driveway. and a funky color new front door like plum or maybe a royal blue because of the orange brick. Granny love the pictures and any plant ideas please pass them on, I'm in the south where is hot, hot and humid. did I mention hot :) oh and the railing we did think about going with something white wood built and the columns do need to be beefed up. Just got to figure out where to start :) Thanks again everyone.
June 16, 2013 at 5:06pm   
tcufrog
Since you're in the South I'd love to see an old fashioned Southern porch on the front to go with your wonderful old fashioned storm door. Think rocking on the porch during the summer while sipping lemonade or iced tea.
June 16, 2013 at 5:11pm      Thanked by whoapony
lin15
I would shy away from browns you will make your home look like an invitation to fall. Orange and brown. Think of toning down that orange brick with neutral grey as I suggested. I would love to see you put a new wood front door on, your home is pretty traditional a blazing color like plum might be a bit overwhelming.
Lots of new plantings are a great idea.
June 16, 2013 at 6:09pm   
Lkristine
I most definitely think that the shutter color really dates the entire look of your home. Here is just an example of a direction you could go.
June 16, 2013 at 6:37pm        Thanked by whoapony
Red Berm
I agree with the above posters to enlarge the porch and add larger columns. If you would prefer not to enlarge the porch some taller variance in shrubs would help (Maybe even a birch - depending on where you live in the south). Don't forget night lighting and definitely azaleas and maybe some hollies and ferns along the base of the house.

For the front walk I wouldn't do straight but I would do something with more character like an arc with an open paving pattern. Possibly stone with moss in between.
June 16, 2013 at 6:56pm     
Keitha
Lkristine , your example is great! It makes the house so much more cohesive.
June 16, 2013 at 7:12pm   
Lkristine
Thank you Keitha, I like to try and provide realistic options for the homeowners that don't brake the bank, and are realistic to the property, not glamourous alternatives that might represent other homes. Although, many are beautiful, they are less than reality for many......
June 16, 2013 at 8:06pm   
whoapony
Thank you guys so much, Lkristine thanks for sketching that out for us. We probably won't enlarge the porch but will definitely do the columns. And, Redberm thanks for the walkway ideas. I definitely like the stone idea to take away from the straight lines of the brick. I will have to check on the birch thought, I don't think it would do well here because of the heat.
June 17, 2013 at 10:15am   
Timberlane Inc.
You could go with Board and Batten style shutters. They would look great on this style home. Please visit our profile and website to see the shutters options we have available!
June 17, 2013 at 10:25am   
EasyTurf
I lived in New Orleans for three years, and you ain't kiddin' about the heat and humidity. Ridiculous!! It shouldn't be so hot ... A southern lawn can be challenging to maintain, even more so a shady one. Have you considered synthetic turf? Check us out at www.easyturf.com - and just think, no more mowing the yard in 100 degree weather and 100 percent humidity.
Best,
George
P.S. No better food than southern food - I miss it.
June 17, 2013 at 6:33pm   
June 17, 2013 at 6:33pm   
grannythedecorator
just granny again....the hostas do very well here in south western Ontario but I also know that they do well in the Charleston SC area too where our sons live they probably would just require more water every day. Becasue ours are on the north side of our house they don't get any direct daylight until into the early evening. We certainly get it hot and humid here too but that season just doesn't last as long....one of our SC girls has the most beautiful hydrageans which seem to do well there ....another is lantana which grows into a shrub during their growing season but it does require being cut right back every fall so that it's ready for it's next season...I probably have around 100 hostas throughout all our gardens but they've all come from just a few simply by digging them up in the fall and cutting through the root ball and then re-planting...post a finished pic when you've completed your project....
June 18, 2013 at 6:08am     
Elaine DiMasi
My parents' house built in the 60's has brick like that. The shutters were long ago replaced with homemade shutters similar to the board and batten style posted above, but left with some space between boards and a natural wood color. I agree remove storm door, beef up posts, and try a darker color for the foundation wall.
May 24, 2014 at 4:54pm   
Curb appeal and landscape help
Just changed all of the facia and rake boards to composite....
Landscaping Help! Need curb appeal!
We've been living in our home for almost 3 years and...
Need curb appeal, landscaping ideas...help!
We really need help with curb appeal. The last few...
Which rug should I use here?
1 2 3 or leave the existing one or none?
Can this wood wall be kept as is?
We are doing some renos and uncovered this wall which...
Colors
Looking for color palet advice. As you can see I have...
What should I do with this room?
Help!!! What should I do with this room??