Need help hanging curtains!
libbydaw
I would like to hang some curtains in my bedroom and am in desperate need of help. We just bought our first home and I have NEVER hung curtains before. I'm completely lost as to where to find a good selection in the dimensions I need, preferably at a reasonable price.

My ceilings are 10ft and windows go up 7.5ft (90"). They are 10'4" wide (124"). I would like them to be floor-length and am guessing I need to raise them 6" to keep light out and extend them about 3" on each side. This would make the dimensions 96" tall x 130" wide. (Suggestions welcome in this capacity as well, if I'm off-base.)

Where do I find rods/curtains this big? I can find a lot of curtains 96" tall but only 50" wide. I need them to be at least 65" wide so they meet in the middle. Is there a trick I'm missing? Help!

Also, to keep the light out, would the recommendation be to do a double rod if I find a curtain with a pattern I like that is too sheer? I've seen these double rods online and I'm guessing this is the reason to use them.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/help you can provide!
dhiggs
I've lived in many homes and finding window treatments can be a challenge.. I think your on the right track. You can find extra wide panels on Internet and extra long but to find extra long and extra wide panels that you like might be tough. What I have done before is buy three panels and cut the third by however long you need to add to the other two, then glue decorative trim over seam. I have also sewed third panel cut in half to make other two panels wider. Don't get lined panels unless you can really sew. I am not such a fan of the double rod. I prefer blind or shade but that is just my taste. Good luck
June 16, 2013 at 4:56pm     
JMittman Designs
With windows this size, you are not going to find ready made curtains to fit properly. Honestly, you need to consult with a local window treatment specialist for advice on these windows. You may be surprised at what you will find. You are overlooking a number of details that a pro will be able to help you with. For example--you need curtains MUCH wider than 65" to meet in the middle unless you want them to be completely flat when shut--not a good look.
What part of the country are you in? I may be able to suggest someone for you.
June 17, 2013 at 8:41am   
libbydaw
JMittman Designs - Thanks for your comment; I am in Austin, TX. If you have any suggestions for local professionals, that would be awesome!
June 17, 2013 at 8:48am   
JMittman Designs
Bob Hansen is in McKinney--that is near right? I don't know Bob personally, but we both belong to another online forum and professional window treatment association-- and he appears to be a true professional.

Robert Hansen Interiors
Robert (Bob) Hansen
4301 Beaver Run Drive
McKinney, Texas 75070-7194 USA
June 17, 2013 at 9:16am   
Mona Ives
Jmittman gave you excellent advice. You are indeed overlooking a number of details with respect to making and hanging the panels. I would suggest you can even try the wcaa website to find a certified window treatment specialist in your area if Bob Hansen doesn't work out, although it sounds promising. There are many shops and stores that specialize in custom window treatments. Ready mades may be able to be pieced and spliced and whatnot, but without a professional advising you this will look shabby.
June 17, 2013 at 9:27am   
Mona Ives
Oh and please don't use a non-lined drape. That will make the color fade and the panel will have no structure when it hangs.
June 17, 2013 at 9:27am     
libbydaw
Thank you so much for the advice! I will definitely seek professional help...it's funny how many things I have realized that I overlooked or didn't find important and, in turn, just plain don't know about decorating because of renting for the past 5 years. It's stuff like this that I find I want to do and do right now that I own my home.
June 17, 2013 at 9:45am     
JMittman Designs
Good for you Libby! I would just be upfront with whomever you deal with--tell them what you want, tell them you have no idea of cost. They will help direct you to a price range that works for you. So many people think they cannot afford "custom", yet I have priced out some nice ready mades from RH or PB, and my price for custom is not all that different. Now if you try to compare unlined cheap IKEA curtains, well there is no comparison And not to diss IKEA, but there is a place for their curtains, and a 10 foot wide window is not it. :)
My personal suggestion here is to consider ripplefold curtain panels--they take less fabric than traditional curtains, and the hardware is generally less expensive as well.They are a bit more contemporary look so don't know if that fits your style. Best of luck!
June 17, 2013 at 9:58am   
need help deciding how to hang curtains over sliding door!!!
The lady who made the custom curtains for me originally...
Need help hanging curtain rod.
I want to hang side panels on the small window to the...
Need help hanging curtains
I am kindly asking assistance need in hanging my curtains....
Need help to find and how to hang the wright curtains!
Hi my name is Lilli, I'm trying to find the wright...
Need help with curtain length and how to hang them
Hello! I am so confused as to what length curtains/drapes...
Will these choices work????
Went to Ethan Allen shopping for new living room furniture...
Need landscape architect to help us with our landscape in St Croix.
The house sits on a hill. The lot (incl house) is .71...
Please help me with my bedroom
So I received so much amazing help with my lounge,...
Any help for my room? Thanks!!!
Hi, I'm hannah, I am going to be a junior this year...