Need help with update
patowens
Updating a 1968 kitchen. What color countertops? Will antique brass cabinet hardware look wrong with new stainless appliances?
mom4herkiddos
Yes. Are you keeping your cabinets?
June 16, 2013 at 3:29pm   
handymam
If you are keeping your cabinets, it is very easy to update their look by changing the hardware to a brushed pewter or pewter that goes with your stainless appliances. I would remove the wavy piece of wood under the cabinets too.

It is hard to advise you one what color countertops. You should look through the houzz ideabooks and put pics in your own ideabook of things you like. After a while, your preferences will begin to become clearer to you.
June 16, 2013 at 3:39pm     
patowens
Thank you! I can't even "see" the wavy pieces anymore! We are taking out 1/2 of this wall as well.
June 16, 2013 at 7:33pm   
patowens
We are keeping the cabinets, (sigh). Replacing the cooktop, knocking out 1/2 of the wall that is pictured, which leads into the dining room that we never use. Will need a hood. We have a fairly big space with lots of these cabinets.
June 16, 2013 at 7:46pm   
A Crew of Two
June 16, 2013 at 7:52pm   
handymam
Did that sigh mean you don't like the cabinets? they appear to be in great condition and are not dated looking. You might want to consider painting them. There are many examples of before and afters on houzz by people that painted their cabinets and it made a worls of difference. I will be painting some myself this summer!
June 17, 2013 at 5:56am   
apple_pie_order
I like the idea of the half-wall removal. A new hood will set the look of the kitchen. The cabinets look like excellent quality, not dated in style, the wood looks like birch. Try picking up some new drawer pulls in brushed nickel or trendier chrome. Try a few styles. Antique brass will look okay with stainless, but any silvery color would look better. You can ignore the hinges, they blend in nicely. You can spray paint the pulls with a metallic paint; it will not last forever under regular use in a kitchen.

In your shoes, I'd probably remove a drawer front and sling it in a bag or box to carry around in the car, ready to take out on shopping trips to countertop suppliers and kitchen appliance shops. Stick a return address label with your phone number on it in case it gets left behind.
June 17, 2013 at 6:06am     
0825sam
In this case I would switch out the hardware although I do like brass hardware on white cabinets with stainless appliances.
June 17, 2013 at 6:09am   
0825sam
I also like the light counter with your cabinets

June 17, 2013 at 6:11am     
Dar Eckert
Your cabinets do look in good shape. I think you could update them by glazing over the cabinets with a darker espresso color finish. I used a Minwax gel stain a stain and sealer in one for my floorboards and the finish made the floorboard look new. To use this product you will have to clean the cabinet fronts to remove wax and grease with a heavy cleaner (TSP) then lightly sand to remove the gloss. Wipe with damp cloth to remove dust. Then brush on the Minwax. Because your cabinets are so dark already it will great and will look better than paint. You might consider adding glass doors to some of the upper cabinets. Go with new pulls and consider crown molding at the top of the cabinets.
June 17, 2013 at 6:31am        Thanked by patowens
mom4herkiddos
For 1960's cabinets they look GOOD!
June 17, 2013 at 7:43pm        Thanked by patowens
Adrianne
I just did something similar for someone else.. an incredibly light Giallo Santo.. looked amazing.. and it's classic series making it the most cost effective..
Giallo Ornamentale Granite Counters

Do not do not do not do oil rubbed bronze because that was done during that time period you are trying to update from.. and it can look like a real time cliche in your kitchen.. For sure do something with a shine like brushed nickle.. Aged pewter wouldn't be bad but anything with an antique look is going to bring you right back to what you are trying to overcome.. keep things looking young and fresh.
People are doing a marble composite now too.. it is so similar to stuff that was done in the 60's & 70's it wont look updated at all it will keep the house looking old and not in a good way

We did Essence Caramel from Contempo Tile for the floor.. it complemented the wood, tied in the countertop and added some depth.. the kitchen didn't look like an after thought it was GORGEOUS. http://www.contempotile.com/essence_series
on the floor we did a windmill pattern that was super fun
Classic kitchen in Kinnelon, NJ-Peter Rymwid Photography

We did Light Walnut tumbled travertine with the kios pattern for the rug behind the cooktop.. in the kios pattern we popped out the 2" x 2" travertine tiles and replaced them with metal 2" x 2"
Backsplashes

Unless you put your microwave somewhere else and did a different hood you don't have much space to do a rug but still might have fun with the kios pattern
June 17, 2013 at 8:01pm     
Adrianne
if you happen to do a hood and not a micro space saver.. you could do a tile rug with the kiods and maybe doing 4" x 4" on a normal grid and every once in a while do a metal 2" x 2" metal inserted between squares on a diagonal..
The essence caramel floor tile.. Killed it.. it was so dead on and gorgeous.. I never thought a kitchen of that age could look so good
June 17, 2013 at 8:12pm   
patowens
Thank you for all of the great ideas. I think I'm going to order up White Spring granite, change the brass handles to brushed pewter(ish), then, consider darkening cabinets with minwax.
June 21, 2013 at 3:21pm     
Bathroom needs updated and laundry room needs serious help.
Laundry room needs more space to be functional. A...
I need to update my bathroom and I need help.
I have a little 1950's house with a 1950's bathroom...
My bathroom needs major updating! The space is so small. Need help!
Both the bathrooms in my house are so small that it...
Need color help, paneling color needs to be updated and brightened
We bought this 1978 house 5 years ago, mostly un-remodeled....
What color should I paint this small bedroom?
Main floor is getting painted next week. Mostly SW...
How else can I place furniture in this living room?
Http://www.drhorton.com/Texas/Fort-Worth/Fort-Worth/woodland-enclave.aspx...
Need help for my Living room
I need help!! I purchased a Granite polyester sectional...
Exterior Color Beach House
This is a new home in Florida and the exterior colors...
Let's play in my LR!
OK, so we moved into this much smaller place over a...