Help! Building a new house, is patterned carpet trendy?
lincha2013
June 16, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We are building a new house and picking the carpets. We like the look of the pindot and other simple patterns, but we just aren't sure how it would look throughout an entire house (bedrooms, halls and great room). Any ideas, suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated! Our house style is craftsman, with hardwood in the kitchen, entry and nook and tile in bathrooms. We have a cat and one child. Thank you in advance!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Mona Ives
I would suggest wood floors in a craftsman house, not carpet. If you must have carpet, a pindot would be fine through bedrooms & halls but it will be way too heavy and dark in a great room. Put a transition on the floor there and go with hardwood.
June 17, 2013 at 10:12am     
lincha2013
Thank you so kindly! We will explore costs on this option.
June 17, 2013 at 11:46am   
PRO
Stanton Designs-online design services
What kind of pattern were you looking at?
June 17, 2013 at 2:41pm   
jabber629
I would not put in patterned carpet regardless as it can quickly go out of style and make it hard and costly to replace should the time arrive that you need to sell or the carpet looks dated
June 17, 2013 at 3:37pm     
PRO
Cloud Nine Interior Design Consulting
Patterned Carpets can be trendy depending on the color and pattern. Carpets can be much easier on the budget than having wood flooring throughout. A nice durable carpet with a simple pattern in a muted color can make rooms like bedrooms and family rooms very comfortable and inviting. The pattern can also help to mask stains. In the end carpet is replaced more often than hard surface floors so as long as you don't get too crazy you should feel comfortable choosing what you like the look of.
June 17, 2013 at 3:59pm   
lincha2013
We have been looking at a pindot or small squares in a tan/beige color. But we are afraid it might be too trendy or look too busy. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We are looking into hardwwod now. But not sure it will fit in the budget. Thanks so much!
June 17, 2013 at 4:08pm   
PRO
Pataya Flooring & Stone Supply, LLC
Depending on your region carpet will always cost more in the long run between cleaning, product and installation. Hardwood would be my first choice. If you insist on carpet, install it in the areas that matter when sound is the issue, like a living room. If your family has allergies, chemical sensitivity or asthma, carpet should never ever be an option. Prefinished wood floors are much simpler to install and maintain. Wood never goes out of style.
June 17, 2013 at 4:14pm   
PRO
PaintColorHelp.com Dallas
For anything with a pattern - be it carpet, wallpaper or fabric - make sure you see a large segment of the material before deciding. Or at least a photo of a large amount. I like the prior suggestion of using wood wherever the budget allows. There is also wood-look tile that is fairly convincing. But if you want a patterned carpet, go for a pattern that has a vintage look to it - then it won't go out of style, it will just complement your Craftsman home.
June 17, 2013 at 4:17pm   
Margo
I too have hardwood in my kitchen, and tile in the entry, laundry room and bathrooms. I was in the same dilemma. I opted for the carpet in the great room,halls and bedrooms. Not because of the cost but because I like carpet. I have had a patterned carpet (small squares in a muted sage) now for almost 7 years and have not tired of it. I have a dog and a cat. It has been easy to clean and vac. I have been seeing a waffle weave in a beige sisal carpet that I would lean to if I were to replace.
June 17, 2013 at 4:21pm   
PRO
Cloud Nine Interior Design Consulting
Take a look at Shaw Floors Wavelength. I have used this in a previous application. My clients loved it and we're happy it added some visual appeal without being too busy.
June 17, 2013 at 4:49pm   
annavic
You could use carpet for bedrooms but 4dining room use hardwood(cherry) same for great room tile works for kitchen and bathrooms
June 17, 2013 at 4:53pm   
lincha2013
Thank you!
June 17, 2013 at 4:55pm