Real wood or laminate?
Stefanie
We are building a house and of course, is a real expense. We have copied the model in a lot of finishes and have selected a high quality hardwood that is expensive. Is it worth it or should we get a much cheaper laminate that will save us $12K. We do not have a ton of traffic because we don't have a lot of people over but have 2 small dogs. Is the hardwood worth the investment (we can afford it but I prefer a cheaper house payment)?? Help (picture of the hardwood is the first image and the second is laminate)!
kimdee24
If I could swing it, I would always choose hardwood over laminate. It will last longer, is refinishable and you'll be happier with it in the end. Better for resale value too, so yeah, worth it in my opinion.
June 16, 2013 at 6:08pm     
dhiggs
Will laminate hurt your resale? I always think there is a price point where you have to go with real wood. I would ask a realtor.
June 16, 2013 at 6:11pm   
"tap, tap, tap, tap, the laminate will pick up the dogs nails tapping on the floor much easier. I am pro hardwood.
June 16, 2013 at 6:14pm     
kimdee24
Agreed, Margo. Laminate always has a "hollow" sound to me, even with human foot traffic. While the sound of the dog's nails on the hardwood sometimes drives me bonkers, it would be worse with laminate.
June 16, 2013 at 6:16pm     
HI -- Stefanie - Hardwood is always the best for looks and resale and value on the house , but laminates are always better with dogs . So it's your call , if you plan to be in this house for a long time then go with what you can afford now , You can always improve upon flooring in the future . Some of the laminates they have now look amazing and real and are not that bad, really !
June 16, 2013 at 6:25pm   
Stefanie
Thanks for the comments. These are the actual wood options. Does anyone see a huge difference in these? We are being told the hardwood would give us a better look and quality over time and did not know how much truth this holds.
June 16, 2013 at 6:42pm     
Sometimes you can not tell a cubic zirconia from a diamond, until you try to sell it, just sayin'
June 16, 2013 at 6:49pm   
simplify52
Have had both hardwood and laminate. IMO hardwood is the ONLY way to go. Think of it this way, over 30 years, how much will the $12,000 actually cost per month. There is just no question to me. Good luck to you.
June 16, 2013 at 8:12pm     
noiwh8
I'm a big fan of engineered hardwood. I don't like laminates that are "photos of real wood." But the engineered products go down fast, tolerate moisture and humidity very well. And by the time the floor finish is ready for work, I'm ready to change the color or style and can afford to do that with engineered hardwood. For traditional homes in which you aren't likely to ever want a different style of flooring, hardwood will last as long as the house.
But even though I LOVE the cherry engineered hardwood I put down about 10 years ago, I selected an expresso engineered hardwood with a very different board pattern this time. It just looks fresher to me now.
June 16, 2013 at 8:22pm   
Skylights on covered porch
Building a new cottage. Architect has suggested putting...
New House Practically Blank Slate
Just moved into new house--open concept living, dining,...
Dryer vent/pipe keeps clogging
Anyone have any at site appreciate it : lastnight I...
Should I add backsplash ???
I've redone my kitchen cabinets dark Java now I need...
what would you suggest for this kitchen !! :)
Would you tear out the left side pantry or paint? ...