Need help furnishing my living room
mmwalz
I recently bought a 120 year old house and am looking for ideas to complete my living room. I am having trouble envisioning how to complete the room. I buy furniture through estate sales and so am flexible on different combinations of furniture. Just need some options.

My goal is a comfortable sitting area that complements the room's character and builds off the pieces I have. It also needs to accommodate my piano, and I do not want it over crowded. My wife and I like more open spaces and try to avoid clutter. So, the fewer pieces the better for UBS. Finally, we are open to a variety of styles so creative combinations that don't necessarily match the style of the couch and table are welcome.

I have three pieces of furniture in the room today - couch, end table, and piano. There are built in cabinets against two walls, a large bay window against a third, and the piano against the fourth. The room is about 17 feet (piano wall to fireplace wall) by 15 feet.
janishill
I would float the sofa in the center of the room facing the fireplace and place a lovely green side chair on the left side of the fireplace; angled (where the round table currently is) with a small straight back chair on the right side. I would place a narrow table beside the sofa

I am concerned that the piano is so close to a heating vent though.
2 Likes   June 16, 2013 at 6:53PM
Design Mode
You have shown some toile, what is it intended for? I love toile, and there are several fabrics that can coordinate with it - check, tassels, plaids, solids and stripes. In traditional style you need the following in fabrics: a solid, a stripe, a pattern, and a texture.
Right now your windows are waiting to be revealed! The solid white is just not enhancing -- well, anything. You could have a nubby sheer silk on the lower half, or shutters. You could update with side panels in a solid silk, or bring your room up to date with a contemporary graphic pattern for draperies, knowing that the windows are energy efficient and will not fade your furniture or build heat in the room.
1 Like   June 16, 2013 at 8:16PM
mmwalz
Thanks the suggestions. Couple follow ups to your questions:
(1) The heat vent is farther away from the piano than it appears but may move further away into corner. (2) The fourth photo is a close up of the couch's fabric.
0 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 4:31PM
annavic
U should move the sofa to face the fireplace. Then add a little coffee table in front(coffee table should be wooden oak would work well
0 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 4:42PM
annavic
Btw the pictures on the mantle don't look good with the sofa try some books old books would fit in we'll
1 Like   June 17, 2013 at 4:45PM
annavic
The piano is good where it is I really love ur sofa!!!!!
0 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 4:46PM
Palm Beach Home Collection
As you can see by your photos, the sofa fabric is not nearly strong enough. With the scale of your room you need a vibrant velvet/mohair or lovely document print with color and drama! The fewer pcs. you have the bigger and bolder your need your furniture or it will look like little leaves floating in a large lake. Consider a great oriental rug, or modern, either way! Don't stress, go slow, have fun. I wish you your best!
1 Like   June 17, 2013 at 5:03PM
Need help how to furnish and design my living room, please help!
I want to design and furnish our living room and I...
Need help furnishing my new living room!
Hi! I just bought my first house and need some...
Need Help Furnishing My Living Room
I've just recently moved into a new home and im currently...
Need help furnishing my living room!
I am currently building my first home and I have no...
Need help furnishing my living room!!
First off, I apologize for the horrendous "ClipArt"...
Want to breath life into my living room!!
Hi- we just bought this house, my living room is narrow...
Radiant heat flooring
Is it possible to install and engineered wood floor...
setting the table
Does the runner go under the placemat or the placement...
salvage wood flooring in 1932 home
Most of my floors are wood, I already refinished the...
Holiday Wreath
How can I hang a wreath on our new 3/4 glass entry...