Window treatment for living room & sunroom
gailretske
Hi. I am remodeling a condo in Florida and am unsure what to do about the windows. They face a golf course so I don't want to block the view. However, they also face west and the hot, afternoon sun will be too much. I am installing new hurricane windows that will have some sort of color block in them but the sun will still be too hot. I like the clean look of shutters but are unsure if they will impede the view. I dont have to worry about privacy as I am on the 2nd floor. I am not into curtains. Although one of the photos shows my cream couch covered in plastic, the brown barrel chair will probably be moved to another room. My color scheme will be grey walls in the living room with sage and possibly purple accent colors in the throw pillows on a cream sectional. Ive been looking for fabric for the pillows but havent found anything I like yet. I think Im making the sunroom walls yellow and continuing the grey. The ceilings are beamed and high and the floor is wood. The new window in the sunroom will go to the floor. What you see in the photo of the sunroom is the seller's furniture, not mine. I tend towards the modern but with warmth and a "put your feet up" feeling. I appreciate any help anyone can give. Oh, if you have any suggestions for grey, purple and sage pillows, comfy chair, cocktail table or anything else, Id appreciate that also. Im really starting from scratch and need everything.
gailretske
Thanks Kelly, Can people see in these shades? In the sunroom, I assume they have to go to the floor? The bottom part of the glass will be stationary and the top part will be a slider window.
June 16, 2013 at 7:41pm   
Best Service Decorators
Shutters with large louvers will allow more view-thru space. Alternately you might like blinds which can be lifted upwards when the sun is not shining to allow full view.
June 16, 2013 at 7:41pm   
gailretske
Are the shutters with large louvers called Plantation Shutters or are they something else?
June 16, 2013 at 7:44pm   
Best Service Decorators
Plantation shutters usually start with at least 2 1/2" louvers but they can go as wide as 4". Please not that you will have to consider the height of your window before choosing the louver size. The larger the louver the less louvers per window. You have to be careful that there shouldn't be too few louvers, which will make the window look odd.
June 16, 2013 at 7:50pm   
gailretske
Thanks. I will look on internet tomorrow. I have horizontal blinds on sliding glass doors up North so I know what they are like and thought Id try something different in FL.
June 16, 2013 at 7:53pm   
A Crew of Two
Plantation shutters are about $70- $100+ a square foot installed...just to give you an idea of cost. So a 3' x 4' window can cost you $900 - $1200. http://www.homewyse.com/costs/cost_of_plantation_shutters.html http://www.remodelingexpense.com/costs/cost-of-plantation-shutters/
June 16, 2013 at 7:59pm   
gailretske
Boy, that's a reality check! I better start buying lottery tickets. I guess I will investigate blinds or the no fall shades. Any ideas about decorative fabric or pillows in sage, grey, purple? I've looked at Robert Allen fabric but is there anywhere else? Thanks so much
June 16, 2013 at 8:07pm   
ZS Interior Design
4" plantation shutters is my vote all the way. Great for the Florida hot sun, great with your ceiling.
June 16, 2013 at 8:07pm   
ZS Interior Design
sage green as a accent pillow with some sort of pattern and a lighter cream or light grey chairs with a trunk style table would look nice with the plantation shutters
June 16, 2013 at 8:09pm   
gailretske
Really? My personality hates settling for 2nd best. My husband hates paying for the best :( I'm going to check shutters out and hope to catch him on a good day
June 16, 2013 at 8:10pm     
Design can change as you need .
We have own designer , can Design a unique design for...
counter overhang for seating with backs
I am building a home, I will have a u shaped counter....
Another 70's bi-level ranch (box) in need of curb appeal
We're looking for ideas on updating our bi-level ranch...
Covered patio flooring
My mothers mobile home has a covered porch with outdoor...
What companies make grey painted kitchen cabinets?
I'm trying to avoid custom made cabinets. Does anyone...