Help with Living Room Decor and More
Ken Lipsett
Hello need help with décor & layout of this liv room. I bought this 1/2 dbl to be next to my parents and take care of them. Stripped it down new wire,plumb etc. I stay next door with my dad now and come here to relax and "get away" but want to finish the work in progress. Walls are Irish Cream I have a old science table solid oak that I had refinished that is in front of the window pictured need to do something with it. room is 28.5 ft long (15 ft to the steps) and 16'6" wide to the steps then 13'4" the rest of the 13.5 ft I am a 911 Systems manager and a part time funeral home person so my life is hectic I would like something I could be proud of another note I have 8 indirect light above in ceiling and central air if that matters THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR ANY AND ALL HELP!!!
nancy22032
If there was some way to pair up that magnificent sunburst mirror and the large oak desk it would b e great. The mirror so overshadows the small table under it now. You have a very interesting large space but (like mine) it's cluttered which does not make it feel welcoming and relaxing. Since the room is long, cutting it down the middle
with the sofa would make it seem even longer and more narrow. Could you arrange the furniture & TV into one area and set up the desk, piano etc.into another area of the room? I am afraid this is not very clear but I hope it helps. There are fairly inexpensive units you could get to incorporate the TV and stereo equipment into one space
which would eliminate some of the cluttered look. Best wishes!
June 17, 2013 at 12:32am   
Ken Lipsett
thanks
here are some more pics my surround sound makes it stuck where it is I THINK! I have it wired in the wall. The table is awesome I appreciate the compliment. The mirror was my mom's purchase many years ago and is great quality.Was think of a flat screen tv and moving stereo equipment to one local under that.
June 17, 2013 at 6:10am   
apple_pie_order
You have a good sized space with some nice pieces and a clear purpose for the room. The biggest improvement in the looks of the room would come from corralling the clutter on walls, shelves and floor. I suggest you start looking for one or two tall oak bookshelves with glass doors or sold doors. These will hold your many small knick knacks (and reduce dusting). The oak finish can match your science table. The table needs a purpose, by the way. What are you thinking of storing in it and using it for? Perhaps it could be a wine serving area when topped with a wine rack?

A new flat screen tv will be good. Get a stand for it that has storage.
June 17, 2013 at 6:34am     
handymam
Ken, I have no real advice for you, but I wanted to tell you that I think you sound like a wonderful person. The devotion you are showing to your parents is sdmirable and touching. I wish you nothing but good things and special blessings.

(Love your St. Brigid's cross, piano and your old lab table. It would make a great tv stand if you got a new tv. Maybe update the window treatment with something besides vertical blinds. )
June 17, 2013 at 6:39am     
mefor
I think if you took everything off walls and some of the smaller pieces of furniture out of room, you could move the larger pieces into a more cohesive grouping or groupings. Then selectively bring things back, one at a time, until you feel you have a home for them. Perhaps a large grouping of photos going up the stairs. I agree that some glass doored cabinets would be a great place to corral all the smaller bits and pieces into gathered collections. I feel there are to many small shelves and little pieces of furniture. You may need to get a few pieces of larger, more substantial furniture. :)
June 17, 2013 at 6:52am     
handymam
hey mforr, where you been hiding out? :)
June 17, 2013 at 6:54am   
mefor
Been beachin' it girl!! :)
June 17, 2013 at 7:00am     
Ken Lipsett
apple pie order excellent idea it is a bit wide 3.25 ft x 4.5 ft I had the top recovered in copper its 5 ftx 3.5 and has drawers on each side
do you think a wine rack would look good?
im ok on the start but I cannot do the finish to bring things together

HANDYMAN thanks for your comments my parents did a lot for me put me thru college with no bills its least I could do I lost my mom in 2010 so trying to make it easy for my dad built him a walk in shower
June 17, 2013 at 8:42am     
handymam
You are a good son still. By the way, it's handymaM, lol!
June 17, 2013 at 8:48am     
Ken Lipsett
sorry!
June 17, 2013 at 10:15am     
mefor
Handy, you know it should have been handyma'am, ;)
June 17, 2013 at 10:23am   
handymam
No problem, Ken!

You are correct again, mforr! Didn't think it would be like this, lol.
June 17, 2013 at 12:36pm     
Keitha
Handymam.....don't change it! I just got it straight myself..
June 17, 2013 at 1:11pm     
handymam
Oh, I won't change it Keitha, it is more fun this way! :)
June 17, 2013 at 1:12pm     
Need more idea to decored the living room and dining room
I don know what and how to make these room looks beautiful...
Does my Living room need more decors?
My house is an old 70s style but i want to make it...
Need help with making my living room more lived in and warm.
Our living room needs more of lived in feeling. Don't...
what type of barstools or other chair should I put here?
This is a huge 1000 square foot basement with bluish...
French door hinges
I have double french doors that open into the dining...
Would a tech-free day work in your home?
Imagine that you woke up one day and there were on...
Decorating my family room
Ok Houzz family, this is my first post. I have been...
Help me finish this room
We love our new living room / dining room. We have...