Sprucing up the dining room
mish8789
I just bought a dining table for the new home and am now looking into giving the room a cozier feel. Would love to get your opinion on the following:

1) wall color- would striped yellow be too much? like this: Karla Trincanello, NJ CID, ASID Allied
or perhaps a taupe color? im not a fan of the current baby blue.

2) window shades- i was thinking of painting white in between the windows and the outside borders so it looks more like one giant window then three separate ones. does that sound like a good idea? also should i get roman shades or curtains?

3) chandelier- im pretty much open to anything.

yonube
There are too many openings around the room. Vertical stripes will make it look choppy. Have yo though of horizontal stripes?may be 4 max. The eye will travel in a coherent way.
Pick a colorful rug and take one of the colors to go on the wall. Off white from the ceiling could be mixed up with the color of your choice.
0 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 12:37AM
pearlmelba
@mish8789......... That Fab table and chairs ..... Deserves not to have an understated chandelier
Depending on your budget go big !!!!!
Good luck in your new home
0 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 1:03AM
mish8789
i was thinking of not using a rug. its the only room in the house that has real hardwood and i don't want to cover it up. what about instead of patterns, just a light beige?

for the chandelier, would it be crazy if i went with a red one? like this one here:

Or should I do something less out there lol?
1 Like   June 17, 2013 at 11:59AM
KARA LEATHERS
hello dear, maybe, a cowhide patchwork rug under the table only might be a choice!
0 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 12:03PM
Keitha
I love everything about the Blount pic. you posted...go for something unusual!
3 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 12:05PM
Sara Parker
Go, girl! Love the red. I think you need a rug in this DR because the chairs will probably gouge the wooden floors, otherwise. A smooth, flat carpet, echoing the shape of the table.
1 Like   June 17, 2013 at 12:08PM
pearlmelba
Go Red go red ..... l also love everything about the picture you posted.....
Like i said your table and chairs deserves not to have an understated chandelier above it .....so be bold and brave no you are not crazy.... It's normal to like colour
( it has never done me any harm other then make me smile )
1 Like   June 17, 2013 at 1:27PM
Two Blind Guys
In regards to window treatments, I would suggest not painting the area between the blinds and border for a "big window look." I don't think you'll get the right end result. I would keep them the way they are and put something like a roman shade or another kind of window shade on them over curtains. Hunter Douglas has some beautiful options for roman shades. They are known as Vignette Modern roman shades and come in various fabrics and pleat sizes. Check out the link for more information: http://www.hunterdouglas.com/our-products-detail.jsp?id=3
1 Like   June 17, 2013 at 1:35PM
soberg
I recommend that you redo the casing around the 3 windows to basically eliminate drywall in between the 3 windows. Just use 1 big header and 1 big sill and apron, with vertical casing as necessary to fill up all the space. Then you'll have a cleaner looking, bigger looking, less fussy window which can have a single treatment.
0 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 4:40PM
diyher
I have wood floors on the whole first floor, dining room included. I bought felt circles with tape and stuck them to all the legs of my chairs around the table, including the legs of the table. Have had the table 18 years and the felt is still working well. I don't know how many times guests have dropped food or drink that if we had a rug, would have ruined it. I'd much rather have a wood floor under a table you eat on :)
5 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 5:09PM
mish8789
bf hated the red.. said it looked like blood dripping down the ceiling. i suppose we both have to enjoy the dining room... he's thinking something softer like this one:
http://www.1800lighting.com/Laura-Ashley-Home/English-Rose/item.cfm?itemsku=HROS0675

thanks for the window tips. I really am considering redoing the casing. and also for the table and chairs, i do have felt circles on them to protect the wood.
3 Likes   June 18, 2013 at 1:20AM
pearlmelba
Shame he didn't like the red ........
But ..hay think you have found something with yes a softer look
And yet is still not understated .........
When it comes to chandeliers too much choice .....love Laura Ashley ....but highly priced ..... Lower priced can be found ......
Have fun looking for one
You will know it when you BOTH ...... see it
0 Likes   June 18, 2013 at 2:16AM
onecb1
You need a rug. Large light fixture. What color are the chairs? Do you plan to redo them? Loose the sheer curtains.... Very dated looking. You could do floor to ceiling panels on either side of the windows. Only two though don't do all of them. Is that a French door to the side ? Would love to see what view you have from it.
0 Likes   June 18, 2013 at 2:43AM
mish8789
The chairs are creme colored. I don't plan on redoing them. (small budget, grabbed the dining table from Craigslist for a steal). Yes there are french doors to the side, how'd you know? haha, attaching an image of it.

I'm shopping around online for a chandelier but will probably head to a lighting store this weekend to see it close up to get a better idea first. BF and I can't seem to agree on the lights.

What do you guys think of wall color? I'm thinking either an ice blue or a light yellow and also having that same color extend into the living room. Should they be the same color? Attaching picture of the view into living room and a close up shot of the fabric on the sofa. Sorry it's pretty dark pictures, we don't have any lights installed in the home yet. and i dont know why that photo is coming out sideways!
0 Likes   June 19, 2013 at 9:14AM
indianpatti
I think the yellow stripes would not go well in this room. For chandelier, I'm thinking something sparkling to add a bit of elegance to the space. This sells for $169 at overstock.com
2 Likes   June 19, 2013 at 9:25AM
mish8789
ooh thats cute. I'll forward ti along to my other half. thank you! Yes I decided not to do stripes because someone said it woudl be choppy and I agree. Was thinking either just a full shade of pale yellow or ice blue
0 Likes   June 19, 2013 at 9:39AM
Sundeleaf Painting
This dining room would probably handle crown molding quite well. Have you considered that? Your original idea of having the golden colors would probably work well...but you'd need need to "tone it down" a bit with millwork: crown, base, maybe even a wainscot.

I've used this a dining room before: http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6374-torchlight/ with crown & wainscot. Everyone loved the color.
0 Likes   June 19, 2013 at 9:56AM
Sundeleaf Painting
Found the dining room pictures with the gold color used.
0 Likes   June 19, 2013 at 10:00AM
mish8789
Okay we finally agreed on a chandelier. Came out to $175 on overstock.

We also bought Woodlawn Blue from Benjamin Moore. http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/woodlawnblue

Do you guys think these work? Going to start painting this weekend. We are considering roman shades and still deciding on whether to redo the casing on the windows to eliminate the drywall. There were two different comments above, one to leave the windows as 3 and one to make it a giant window. I don't know which to go with!
1 Like   June 25, 2013 at 9:19AM
mish8789
should also mention that in the family room (not pictured in this thread) on the other side of those french doors, i have a stone wall and fireplace. The look is a bit earthy which is why we went with a rustic chandelier that still had glitz to it. we were trying to match both the rustic look and the european look (my victorian sofa set in the living room & the french doors) at the same time.
0 Likes   June 25, 2013 at 10:02AM
KARLA TRINCANELLO-CID - INTERIOR DECISIONS, INC.
Re: Dining Room: Take care of the window treatment first. They need to be full floor to ceiling treatment like wide louvered plantation shutters,even sliders over the sliding doors, floor to ceiling, then you don't need to change the windows and that expense. Using the shutters will give light as well if they are tilted upward or downward. I can't see the fabric on the chairs or the rest of house on that leve but am wondering why you selected blue for the walls? Once I know what the rooms near it look like, then selecting a paint color is more doable. The chandelier is fine but that also means you should upgrade with your wall treatment: like applied molding with art within each panel or some great art pieces as well as a great mirror to reflect the chandelier..
1 Like   Thanked by mish8789    June 26, 2013 at 9:45AM
mish8789
I picked blue simply because I like the color.. it's hard for me to choose a color based on the other rooms because we're in the process of changing those room colors too. We are planning on doing Sherwood Tan (taupe color) in one adjacent room and the same blue in the other adjacent room which is the living room because we thought the color would match the furniture (pictured in above comment). I'll take pictures of the rooms once the contractor is done working on it, we are installing recessed lights at the moment.

Plantation shutters look pretty in those pictures but I don't think we have enough funds to replicate that with our current windows. Wouldn't we need to make the windows bigger/longer?
0 Likes   June 26, 2013 at 10:59PM
parisgirl1970
I was looking a a red chandelier the other day myself ! I lOVED it. I love red, and it's got a huge wow factor. We don't use our dining room everyday -do we? I don't care if others fear color--don't listen! Don't be predictable. I hope you get this one-it's BEAUTIFUL and red is good luck. No rug--keep it open and show off your floors. Maybe an antique mirror on one wall and a large oil of something you love. Or........sconces maybe?
0 Likes   June 26, 2013 at 11:43PM
parisgirl1970
sorry--I didn't realize bf was 'boy friend'. I hate when regular men decorate! Let them do their man caves.
0 Likes   June 26, 2013 at 11:51PM
Sara Parker
Have a look at the houzz article on turquoise to brighten a room (turquoise chandeliers!). Loved the idea of felt pads on the DR furniture to save the floor.
0 Likes   June 27, 2013 at 6:40AM
pearlmelba
@parisgirl1970......... Yes never be afraid of colour...If you come to my house
And don't like colour .... Close your eyes.......
Man cave ....... Well my man has more of a man cupboard !!!!
So much choice (chandeliers )can't have too many of them ......
1 Like   June 27, 2013 at 7:50AM
mish8789
Yes all the furniture have felt pads on them already! @pearlmelba my bf will probably have a man cupboard too =D hahaha. I'll attach images when the chandelier arrives. I'll try to add color with a centerpiece or window shades.. something.
1 Like   June 27, 2013 at 8:43AM
parisgirl1970
@pearlmelba --same here! What's decorating if you can't be daring or use color--even wild color? -and long live the chandelier!! Man cupboard? O_o LOL!
1 Like   June 27, 2013 at 11:57PM
Blinds Direct Canada
I would recommend Roman shades its modern and clean .
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/blinds-toronto/shades-toronto/roman-blinds.html
0 Likes   June 28, 2013 at 12:35PM
kimberly105
Red would be cute
1 Like   June 28, 2013 at 12:36PM
Sara Parker
I'm liking your blue room more and more.
1 Like   June 28, 2013 at 12:36PM
mish8789
I finally finished painting the house and hired someone to install the chandelier. I ended up making both the living room and dining room the same woodland blue shade. It's just a lighter shade of what it used to be but it makes the room look so much brighter! BTW, the dark brown piece over the table is the protective cover, forgot to take it off when i was taking pictures.

I"ve decided not to change the windows but just to buy roman shades. I like @blindsdirectcanada's image and am thinking of going in that direction. what do you think in terms of colors/patterns? I was thinking of going with the attached pattern because it matches my chairs well but would it be too busy?

@KARLA TRINCANELLO-CID - INTERIOR DECISIONS, INC.- I"m currently shopping for a mirror to reflect the chandelier, thanks for the tip!
1 Like   July 15, 2013 at 7:55PM
mish8789
more pictures- one with the windows im trying to change & with the chandelier on
2 Likes   July 15, 2013 at 8:03PM
mish8789
hi everyone! im hoping to bring back this thread for ONE more question...

before that, just a quick update:
So i ended up getting a rug like most of you recommended. I love the hardwood floor but the rug helped protect the floor from spills since I entertain often. thanks for the advice everyone!

I wanted to buy custom roman shades but man they are pricey! So I made them myself. Definitely harder than it looks. Hopefully they look ok to you guys, I'm too tired to redo them haha =p

ok so for the question.. i fell in love with the painting on the wall. it makes me smile whenever i see it. but is it too WEIRD? i dont want family and friends to think im crazy when they see it. i know some of you suggested a big mirror there. I did buy one and tried it out but i hated seeing my reflection while i was eating so i got rid of it.
1 Like   September 26, 2013 at 11:05PM
unwantedadvice
Mish8789, I love the art. Funky and weird in a good way. Good job!
1 Like   September 27, 2013 at 1:13AM
mish8789
Thanks unwantedadvice :)
0 Likes   September 27, 2013 at 8:38AM
Our beautiful dining room...how do we spruce it up?
Our dining room has 3 "open walls" that connects it...
monica1964
Dining Room spruce up
Hi What would you recommend for decorating this area?...
Nakia Muhammad
BORING LIVING/DINING AREA NEEDS SOME SPRUCING UP, HELP PLEASE
Really seeking ideas on the two areas, if its either...
shacar
Sprucing up a small 35yo flat with 2 rooms to 4 rooms of various sizes
Converting this flat to a rentable unit with mini studios/rooms...
Nicholas Singh
Does painting a ceiling a color make the ceiling feel low?
I have 8 ft ceilings in my girls room. The linen I...
ravdeutsch
How to figure out what is enough lighting for island
Is there a formula used to figure out how much lighting...
Brenna Pearce
Garage size question.
We are finally going to tear down this original storage...
felixg
Need help completing fence and landscaping yard
Started the base of a uniquely designed fence, but...
Chris Sam
Experimenting on pendants in the bedroom!
Here’s a bedroom we are working on. Even when...
VANGUARD development