OLLD 6/17
June 17, 2013 in Other
Morning all! Am I first or did I miss another post?
Morning, bobbi, a beautiful morning here. DD had all of the dads whose children are not close for supper last night. The girls walked down to her lake with our glass of wine and to take a peek at a house for sale right on the beach. the fathers watched golf.

She made this delicious sloppy joe and coleslaw recipe out of Real Simple magazine, my friend brought her delicious, unusual, baked beans which she makes with lima beans of all things, and our new favorite dessert cocoanut icecream with pineapple chunks topped with homemade hot fudge sauce.

Today, I have to finish up on my winter project which is just putting final touches around…candles, etc. I am going to this adorable shop downtown for some of the items. I'll see if I can find a link.

Going to make my coffee as the 1/2 hr waiting time for my thyroid med has passed. http://www.adlumia.com/natural-home-interiors.php
5 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 5:58AM
armygirl1987
Morning JudyG and Bobbi. Work, work and more work. Just busy on my end also was at the library yesterday and will be there after work tonight.
4 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 6:26AM
Judy M
Good morning Ladies.

Went out for walk this morning, been slacking off due to knee trouble.
More laundry to do from weekend guests and after I shower I think I'll relax and start a new book.

Saw my first Cicada while cooling off outside after walk, ugly buggers.
4 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 6:32AM
Is that what a Cicada looks like? I hear them when I am driving along 6A, particularly in Brewster, but the minute I hit Orleans, they're gone. Maybe different trees? Are you in CT or RI?
0 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 6:43AM
It's too early for morning! Slow start today :((
2 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 6:49AM
handymam
Good morning bobbi, Angela and the 2 judys!

Our gazebo will be delivered today, hopefully on time at 11am. My husband has been stressing all weekend about how he prepared the site for it. I think it will be fine, but he is not usually the one to do the projects around here, so maybe he just lacks confidence.
4 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 6:53AM
bobbi, it is almost ten here. You do not get enough sleep.
2 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 6:53AM
Morning, mam, love gazebos…is it open or screened?
3 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 6:54AM
S. Thomas Kutch
Good morning ladies.........overcast and rather gloomy here today. Thunderstorms and heavy rain called for later this afternoon and evening. Feels like another chill day is in order. Clearing starts tomorrow and the temps start rising.....next Saturday and Sunday temps in the high 90's called for..... heelllloooooo summer.

Lisa left for work this morning leaving me strict orders not to do anything strenuous today. Friday's shot has pretty much eliminated the constant pain in the hip that was really pulling me down......for 13 years, I have been putting up with constant pain, but this was just too much and it was really beating me up.......so the good news is that the pain has subsided quite a bit..... the bad news is the tendency to pop out is still a constant factor to be dealt with.........last night I shifted my weight and tried to move my desk chair the wrong way I guess and it popped out dropping me out of the chair onto the floor in agony.......felt like a searing hot knife had been driven into my hip.........as soon as it slid back in place the pain was gone, but it leaves me very week in the hip and leg. The shot results are a mixed bag.........relief from the constant pain, but I have to be aware of and not get so complacent that I forget that my range of motion is still limited to straight forward and backwards in a restricted range (short steps) and that any side to side torquing still causes it to pop.............have to keep a journal to take back to the Doctor in July to keep a record of when it pops, what I was doing, how long, how bad, etc., etc., along with a daily count of pain level.....crap, I better get paid for this.

Thinking of starting a blog on DIY Home Renovations and passing on wisdom garnished from past experiences........especially like the current one, that even with the most thought out plans, things go wrong and how to maintain one's sanity during the ordeal...........add a little humor in the process......................what do you all think? Kind of like a tongue in cheek commentary when the unexpected happens with a dose of practical solutions........... just thinking.

Robyn.... any head way on the water problem in the basement?........

Hope everyone had a great weekend...........my night ended great...............LSU Tiger's lost their first game in the College World Series last night to UCLA........not that I'm a big UCLA fan or anything, it's just that my favorite teams are the Oklahoma Sooners ( who didn't make it out of the Super Regional brackets, but the girls won the National Championship in Softball) and any team playing an LSU team..........

Okay, I'm going to go do some research on Blog sites and stuff...........maybe get a better feel for my idea.

Latter all.........behave, play nice and don't accept candy from strangers or contractors you don't know.
0 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 6:55AM
handymam
It is screened! And it is square, not round. I wanted it to look more like a pavillion than a victorian gazebo. Goes better with our house I think. Best part is I will have to garden around it. I love to make new beds. I tell my husband it means less grass to mow and then he is onboard with it, lol.
7 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 6:56AM
I just took a stroll though "gazebo". It gave me an idea for my cottage if we decide to move there and renovate the house. Did you order it locally or on line?
1 Like   June 17, 2013 at 7:00AM
Judyg, I actually slept for 8 hours last night, I think that's the problem. Too much sleep!

Handy, your gazebo sounds cool, I hope you post some pics! Is it already put together or some assembly required?

Question for anyone! I'm thinking of doing a sort of accent wall in the living room. It'll be a bit different because I want to wrap it around the adjoining walls, maybe about a foot or so. So the question is, where the two colors meet on the adjoining walls what besides molding can I put there to make it look good? Any ideas would be appreciated!

Oh, and I'm starting to scare myself, I'm starting to like yellow. Not bright sunshiny yellow but more like a cooler creamy yellow. Thoughts?
1 Like   June 17, 2013 at 7:01AM
S. Thomas Kutch
Someone remind me again how us men let our women play us like this..... "honey, less grass to mow.........oh, but you have to dig down, level, fill with gravel and compact a foundation bed for the the thing before it arrives...............".............I think we're born suckers for manipulation, especially when it comes in the female form.
4 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 7:02AM
STK, it's 'cause you love us! hehehe
4 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 7:04AM
handymam
We saw it online, but it was for a place that was fairly local. They built it, and will just drop it onto the site. It is 14x14 foot.

Bobbi, I like yellows and creams that are yellow. Potterybarn had a Hawthorne yellow, is that BM color? I think so. look that up. It's not really bright.
3 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 7:06AM
STK, it is simple, you were not born a sucker; you became one when you fell in love :>) And we gals know a good thing when we have it. :>)

We were BORN operators. A Chromosome thing.
2 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 7:06AM
mefor
Good morning ladies, and mr. stk.
3 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 7:07AM
mefor
Hawthorne yellow is lovely
3 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 7:07AM
handymam
STK, you have it all wrong! HE wanted the gazebo! Wanted one for years. Finally got it. I just want the flower beds, and that is all me. Actually not a lot of digging because it is going on a base of shale that was trucked in to fill our backyard years ago... Added crusher run to the top and to a slope he had to fill. Compacted and added more. Over and over, lol.
4 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 7:09AM
S. Thomas Kutch
yeah bobbi.......we're weak like that too.........about your accent wall, not so sure that wrapping it a foot or two around the corner is a good thing. Accents wall need something to define the element, like a corner, column, or element break........something that says "this is where it starts and this is where it ends...".......otherwise it just looks kind of lost and an after thought...........just my opinion though.
2 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 7:10AM
Morning, mforr.
2 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 7:10AM
handymam
mforr, thought we lost you over here. Hadn't seen you on OLLDs for a while. Glad you are still here!
4 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 7:12AM
S. Thomas Kutch
Judyg.........you are sooooo right........As Lisa says when I start wondering about such things and entering the forbidden territory......." I have the breast, I have the curves and everything else a man wants.......you have the muscles, knowledge and skills........it's a perfect match..........now get busy!"
5 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 7:14AM
Robin W
Good morning all!

Gorgeous day here in Edmonton, and looks like instead of doing the landscaping I want to be doing, I'll be doing the maintenance I wanted to leave till later. Oh well, it has to be done and seeing as how I'm the only one to do it...
2 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 7:14AM
bobbi, an idea for you…let's say your wall is 10' long and it is Revere Pewter. Instead of painting the entire wall an accent color, paint the center of it, floor to ceiling, 6' wide or so and add a piece of art or one of those great big wall clocks. It becomes a frame.

I did it on a wall and it looks great.
4 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 7:15AM
handymam
judyg, bobbi painting a wall Revere Pewter...You are so funny!
3 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 7:21AM
Oh Lordy, it is Revere Pewter! The fireplace is in the center of the wall, and the inner section (not the firebox) is painted charcoal. The wrap around effect would be like a headboard with side walls.

STK, your Lisa sounds brilliant! I'd love to meet her sometime. Now get busy!
3 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 7:25AM
Jayme H.
Hi everyone!! Good morning.
-Handymam...congrats on your new gazebo, cannot wait to see pics!
3 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 7:26AM
handymam
Will try to get my daughter to put some up sometime when she is here. :)
4 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 7:27AM
Jayme H.
Wonder how Robin is doing with the basement? Hope it's o.k.
2 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 7:44AM
The BM Hawthorne yellow is pretty and almost what I'm thinking of. Of course, I don't have a room in mind to paint it in, just a thought that's forming in my head!
2 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 7:45AM
Yep, I'm worried about Robin too.
3 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 7:45AM
Judy M
Judyg, I am in RI until July 20, then back to CT.
2 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 7:47AM
mefor
Been busy with garden at beach, hooray, that the deer can't eat, because I won't drive them over to shore
4 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 7:55AM
handymam
The gazebo arrived a bit early and is now in place!
3 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 8:03AM
mefor
Can't wait to see :)
3 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 8:07AM
kimdee24
Good morning, everyone! So nice to see blue skies this morning, at least for a little while today. My grass is so long, they haven't cut it because it's been so darned wet, and I'm pretty sure I could lose my little dog out there if I let her out!

Having a bit of a knee flare-up over the last couple of days. Hoping that settles down and it's just because of all the wet weather we've had. Fingers crossed!
5 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 8:08AM
Handy, we can't SEE it!

Kimdee, fingers and toes crossed for your knee!
3 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 8:25AM
handymam
Now bobbi, I told you, I am too dumb to post pics on my own, lol! Maybe in two weeks when my daughter is here she can do it for me. I will put pics of the pool and garden too.
4 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 8:29AM
Judy M
I should vacuum,( quick someone talk me out of it) but I am putting warm pack on my knee, little sore after morning walk.
4 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 8:29AM
bobbi, I don't think you would be happy with a yellow on the R P.
1 Like   June 17, 2013 at 8:30AM
Handy, oooookay. Maybe!

Judy M, the dust will be there tomorrow, take care of your knee today!
2 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 8:30AM
Funny, judyg, not my plan!
1 Like   June 17, 2013 at 8:31AM
Okay, those with knee problems…Aleve, twice a day, for seven consecutive days. Ice for 10 minutes every 2 hours.
2 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 8:31AM
Jayme H.
Judy M ...You need a robovac!
-Where is orangecamera?
1 Like   June 17, 2013 at 8:35AM
pattyannb
Morning all!
Nothing really exciting for me today... Just work... Should probably clean my office...
That's one thing I miss when I worked outside of the home... Someone else does the cleaning...
Oh well guess the pro's outweigh the con's...
Handymam.. can't wait to see the gazebo!
1 Like   June 17, 2013 at 8:40AM
Judy M
I've done the Aleve thing and it works until I stop taking it.

Surprisingly, I found heat better than ice.
3 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 8:40AM
kimdee24
Yes, ice not heat for sore knees. Best painkiller ever. Well, not ever. But it helps.
3 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 8:41AM
Jayme H.
sometimes alternating heat and ice works too. Ibuprofen works better for me. Sometimes I cannot tolerate heat at all for my back...for that ice works best for me.
1 Like   June 17, 2013 at 8:42AM
Jayme H.
I need to go down into the pit of hell and clean carpet where our dog messed...Need to get that area in order badly....company may soon be coming. We r giving my old car to Father in law and he is coming up from Idaho to get it.

Happy Joy JOY....Saw Sir David posted yesterday!
5 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 8:44AM
Judy M
Yes, dust and knee pain will both be here tomorrow.

Had a torn meniscus repaired years ago and had a recent x-ray, need to see orthopedic when I get back to CT for options.

My primary doc said once they go in and do repairs, knee deteriorates after time. Well "time" has come.

BIL just had double knee replacement in Feb. My husband had one knee replaced two years ago.
NOT looking forward to that option.
2 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 8:45AM
kimdee24
Uck. I've had three surgeries on my left knee -- two ACL reconstructions, torn meniscus and then a scoping to cleanup. It's been good for almost two years now despite having almost no cartilage remaining to speak of. The right donated some material for the left and had another issue. And yeah, every time they go in...

I call them my "Frankenknees..." so many scars... I predict a knee replacement in my future, but hopefully not for a long, long time.... I'm only 44... would like to put that off as long as I can.

@Jayme -- it always makes me smile too, to see Mr. Ironwood post something. Anything! Just so I know he's okay.
3 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 8:49AM
Jayme H.
@kimdee..that sucks..I am lucky with knees..just my bad disks!!
-my poor girlfriend has had both hips and knees replaced...she has fragile bones. Started in 8th grade with her and hasn't ended. She is my age (47) and basically going to retire, she likely could have been on disability most of her adult life, but muddled thru somehow.
1 Like   June 17, 2013 at 8:57AM
Here's a question to ponder while we're nursing sore knees/backs etc. You are given $10,000 to spend on your house or yard, and only your house or yard. What would you do with the money? And you can't save any of it! I would get new sod for the backyard and new LR furniture.
2 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 9:06AM
mefor
New driveway and a retaining wall for a parking area, that's probably not enough to cover them, though. Grrrrrr, everything is soooooo expensive. :)
3 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 9:12AM
I hear ya!
1 Like   June 17, 2013 at 9:13AM
handymam
I have no idea how much either cost, but reface my fireplace in stacked stone, and tile my kitchen and hall floors. (I could do the floors myself, but really would rather someone else do it!)
2 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 9:15AM
Judy M
I would spend it on re-do of patio and add a pergola over it at RI house.
OR add central air
OR add a new front sidewalk
OR a portico over front steps.

Since this is hypothetical , let's make it $50k and I'll do all the above.
4 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 9:16AM
I'm thinking new sod and LR furniture, but I'd probably put a bunch of things in a hat, and draw!!!
3 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 9:16AM
$50K IT IS!!! Ok, forget the hat :))
3 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 9:17AM
handymam
Great, now we just need to win powerball!
3 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 9:17AM
handymam
Okay, adding new countertops onto my list then!
3 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 9:18AM
YES!!! And share, of course....
3 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 9:18AM
Robin W
Oh... To have $10000 to spend on the house and yard... Where on the list would you like me to start?

Thanks for thinking of me gals. Basement is ok... I'm just overwhelmed with all of what needs to be done and I'm the only person to do it. Doesn't help when the bloody weather won't cooperate. Supposed to be mostly nice today and tomorrow, so going to try to get a bunch done outside, in hopes of deterring the rain from coming inside anymore.
2 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 9:19AM
handymam
OLLDs powerball ticket, lol!
2 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 9:19AM
handymam
Robin, it's 50k now, so just hire someone to help you!
2 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 9:20AM
Handy, we should totally do that! Each OLLD pick a number, and then whoever wants to buy a $2.00 ticket could! I pick number 6.
2 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 9:21AM
Robin W
Even better!

K... It's almost 10:30 and I've done nothing yet other than shower. I'm off to buy new downspout extensions and possibly retaining wall stone. Wish me (and the bank account) luck!!!
4 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 9:23AM
Jayme H.
I would revamp our kitchen/expand it into dining area...get new appliances, countertops and have hubby paint and/or stain darker: cabinets.
2 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 9:24AM
Jayme H.
How is it going Robin?
1 Like   June 17, 2013 at 9:25AM
Luck Robin!
0 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 9:25AM
mpoulsom
New driveway for sure would be first on the list.....it's looking more ratty by the day compared to all the work we've been doing outside. :( and it's pretty long because it goes from one street to the other street all around the back of the house! yikes! Oh yea....all new windows!

Morning everyone!

Enjoyed my deck yesterday and the weather was perfect! Then late afternoon J and I took Dali for her first hike! Did the short 2 mile trail at Tablerock. Very pretty. Then walked to a nearby seafood restaurant for dinner last night. Great Sunday!

Congrats on the Gazebo Handymam! Can't wait to see it! Exciting!!!

Glad someone spotted Dave yesterday. That's good news.
3 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 10:08AM
mpoulsom
My number for the ollds lotto is .......................... um ............um ................ sixteen!

Don't ask me why, I have no idea where that came from!
2 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 10:10AM
Robin W
New downspouts purchased and starting to put them on right away. Also priced out landscape blocks from a place by my house. It might actually be doable!!!
4 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 10:35AM
Hmmmmm, $10,000.00 would not go far in MA. First, I'd have to pay the taxes on it…now it is down to 7 +. I guess I would do new custom bedding and window treatments. That's about all I could get. Sad, or what? My first gorgeous GTO convertible cost $4200.00.
3 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 11:16AM
astraea
Cicadas are very loud; when I was driving home on the highway last night, it would be quiet .. and all of a sudden you’d hear this loud noise coming from a tree or group of trees; I can’t imagine what that’s like if they’re outside your house!!

Bobbi – Saw your “buddy” this morning!! Governor Christie visited Long Branch (on the ocean), and there was a press conference for the mayor (a Democrat) to endorse Christie’s re-election. Christie must have spent an hour mingling with the crowd, talking, shaking hands and hugging people, with the media photogs snapping away. I wore my “Christie for Governor” t-shirt, and hope I get a copy of the photo taken of us together!
All that fresh air & sunshine did me in; I came home & took an hour’s nap!!
3 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 11:25AM
mpoulsom
oh lordy...bobbi's gonna be jealous of that photo op!
4 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 11:28AM
astraea
Promise I'll post it, if I get it!
3 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 11:30AM
Robin W
Well that was fun. Downspout was 100% blocked. Had to disassemble the whole thing to get it to flow again. Now I smell like decomposing wet leaves. Yum.
2 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 11:39AM
Ok, we have Power Ball numbers 6 and 16. Anyone else?

Astraea, I hope you remembered to tell him the California offer is still on the table!

MP, what ever happened to your friend's hubby that fell under the slab of granite?
0 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 11:41AM
I'm in….84
0 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 11:49AM
I don't buy lottery tickets, but I will. How do we do it? Doesn't each state have different games?
0 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 11:50AM
mpoulsom
Funny you should ask bob.....he just came home from the hospital 2 days ago. My friend is losing her mind basically. She doesn't know what to do for him. because there is NOTHING she can do really, but be there.
He is very social and his life has revolved around work basically....so she is trying to come up with things to entertain him while he lies there in the bed all day and night! He doesn't like to read, so she's begging for suggestions to help pass the time away while he is healing! If anyone has any great ideas, please let me know so that I can pass the info on.
0 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 11:50AM
mpoulsom
Judyg..i don't think 84 is on there.... (?)
48 is though... :)

Can I change mine to 17?
That was my first thought and then I changed it last second. I should stick to my first thought!
1 Like   June 17, 2013 at 11:51AM
6, 16 and 84! I don't think it goes as high as 84, Judy, but I'm not sure. Anyone know? Just take the #'s and play your own states' game!

MP, video games? The handheld type? Knit? Crochet? Just kidding. Is he paralyzed or is this a temporary thing? If I remember right it was pretty serious, his injuries and all. Crossword puzzle? Jigsaw puzzle?
0 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 11:53AM
Ok, 6 and 17, Judy do you want 48?
0 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 11:53AM
mpoulsom
Now that WOULD be funny if he would knit or something! It is a temporary thing, but the recovery will take months and more surgery in the future I'm sure. He is not paralyzed believe it or not....but will never be the same for sure. I'm not even sure if he'll be able to return to work except in a supervisory way??? Haven't been by there yet, but will have to go soon.
1 Like   June 17, 2013 at 12:07PM
mpoulsom
Well we just had a big parade of motorcycle riders coming through town escorting some marines on their way to some R & R in a nearby resort community! It always makes me cry seeing the soldiers and very humble as well.
And a few minutes ago it started raining like cats and dogs....I hope they did not hit it going through the next couple of towns to their destination!

that reminds me...had no idea it was going to rain in the middle of the night last night either....did not pull my car into the carport, left EVERY window down in the car, my radio out by the deck and my pillow on the chaise, (that is not an outdoor pillow)....oopsy
2 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 12:10PM
bobbi, you are correct…powerball only goes to 59. I'll take 48.
1 Like   June 17, 2013 at 12:10PM
MP it's amazing it's not a permanent injury. Does he own the company or is he an employee?

I have a question! Does anyone know how Houzz got started? Or when? Or who started it or why? I was just thinking about this the other day. I sent an email to E but she didn't answer, is it a big secret or something?
1 Like   June 17, 2013 at 12:12PM
mp, he may not read but some who do not do love books on tape and it makes the time fly.

Just have her ask him if he will just give it a try. What books do guys like to read? My cutie like James Patterson. Although right now he is into the Whitey Bulger book.

Everyone at dinner last night was talking about this book. http://www.behindthebeautifulforevers.com/
2 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 12:13PM
Six, seventeen and forty-eight. Need three more! EZ, where are you? Are you a gambling woman?
0 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 12:13PM
mefor
I'll throw out 21. Astraea, did it rain there yesterday? I left earlier and drove through a little weather, hoping a little came by m house, just mostly finished big landscaping projects. Need some watering, but only in the middle of the night, don't wan it to ruin anyone's day :)
1 Like   June 17, 2013 at 12:14PM
kimdee24
24!
1 Like   June 17, 2013 at 12:15PM
handymam
56 for me.
1 Like   June 17, 2013 at 12:17PM
OMG, I feel billions coming on. Now ask me what I will do to my home !!!!!

Har-tru tennis court in the yard with fencing like this:
2 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 12:18PM
Jayme H.
7 for me
-just got the dog mess cleaned up in basement...Neighbors have a big rug doctor unit...it's the bomb!!
2 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 12:19PM
6, 17, 48, 21, 24, 56 and 7. Almost enough for two ticket! We need five more numbers for two tickets, at least in California. Six numbers per ticket, I think.
0 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 12:21PM
mpoulsom
There is an article about how houzz got sytarted because I've read it...2 people started it in the bay area. See if I can find it!

Yes, he actually was part-owner of one construction company and did his own stuff singularly as well, bob.

judyg, good idea....
2 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 12:22PM
Great if you can find it MP! Does he at least get workers comp for this? Being part owner, I don't know.....
1 Like   June 17, 2013 at 12:23PM
Jayme H.
In our state if there is more than one employee, u have to pay into Work Comp.
1 Like   June 17, 2013 at 12:26PM
Jayme H.
@MP...can she get a group of friends to take turns coming over to see him? Play cards, chat, watch movies...push him outside in a wheelchair? Maybe he needs to start participating in Houzz like David and STK...it could keep his mind busy!! Poor fellow!! Glad he is alive.
1 Like   June 17, 2013 at 12:30PM
pattyannb
I'll kick in #27.... :-)
1 Like   June 17, 2013 at 12:31PM
mpoulsom
bob, i had to share the "houzz" thingy with you on facehooker....sorry, the article wouldn't let me email or copy and paste it. It was weird. It's an article from The New York Times, Home & Garden section called "Houzz Proud" from March 21, 2012.....you could look it up that way as well.
2 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 12:31PM
DIAspoton
#33 for me please
0 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 12:39PM
Ok! 6, 17, 48, 21, 24, 56, and 27! Good deal!

Thanks MP, I'll check it out, good of you to remember!
0 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 12:39PM
Um, where do I look on fb? I found your page but I don't see anything about Houzz. I'm not fb savvy, too much!
0 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 12:42PM
Ok! 6, 17, 48, 21, 24, 56, 27 and 33! Keep 'em coming!
1 Like   June 17, 2013 at 12:44PM
mpoulsom
Why haven't we done this before? the lotto thingy? Great idea! Even though I don't usually do it, it will be fun with you guys! :)
2 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 12:47PM
mpoulsom
bob, I posted it on your page...I hope! I shared it on your timeline, so look on your page first.
1 Like   June 17, 2013 at 12:48PM
mpoulsom
yes kimdee, that's it! I'm not to great with sharing links. But this was kind of weird. Maybe I needed to be a subscriber or something to share it. I have no clue. But I clicked on the fb option. looked like it worked, but who in the helz knows?
2 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 12:53PM
handymam
kimdee, thanks for posting that. I loved the "house porn" comment! My husband joking asked me the other day if I was looking at porn when I was on the houzz site. Wish I had known to say, "yeah, house porn!"
0 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 12:54PM
MP, didn't get the fb post, thanks for trying, but Kimdee, got it thanks! So Houzz was founded in 2009 by a couple from Israel. Only four years old! I think I've been on here only about 18 months. See? I'm just a babe in the woods!

We still need four more numbers to buy two tickets!!! Anybody who hasn't already picked a number?
1 Like   June 17, 2013 at 12:55PM
Robin W
Boo. Had to get a different color of stackstone for my wall. If I wanted the charcoal, I would have had to drive clear across the city. Thanks no. My truck is a gas pig as it is!!!

Do we have 49 yet?
1 Like   June 17, 2013 at 12:59PM
kimdee24
Mp-- NYT is funny sometimes. Sometimes it wants a log-in, sometimes not.
1 Like   June 17, 2013 at 1:01PM
armygirl1987
25 for me. Done with work and on my way to the library, have a fifteen page paper due
3 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 1:58PM
armygirl1987
Hope everybody having a good day
3 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 1:59PM
Robin W
Maybe in over my head? Gonna plow through anyways.
4 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 2:01PM
Ok! 6, 17, 48, 21, 24, 56, 27, 25,33 and 49! In order - 6, 17. 21, 24, 25, 27, 33, 48, 49 and 56! Two more for two tickets!
0 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 2:27PM
pattyannb
#12
0 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 2:28PM
mefor
16
0 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 2:30PM
Perfect! That's it! 6, 12, 16, 17. 21, 24, 25, 27, 33, 48, 49 and 56!
3 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 2:33PM
Robin W
Sweet!!!
2 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 2:42PM
mefor
Sounds like winning tickets to me!!
3 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 2:46PM
Jayme H.
I just ate a chili hotdog..prob about a million calories, and there is no one to blame but me
3 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 3:35PM
Jayme, sometimes it's.....required.
3 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 3:40PM
S. Thomas Kutch
Calories are highly over rated........go for seconds, but this time add cheese and top it off with a big pile of sweet coleslaw.....
3 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 3:46PM
Jayme H.
I just commented on the cutest room...lady already has picked nice colors for her sofa/loveseat, great area rug...Now lamps, art, coffee table...You guys should check it out too...it starts "Please help me decorate my livingroom"...Thanks u all...
1 Like   June 17, 2013 at 3:48PM
Jayme H.
Good luck on that paper Angela!!!
1 Like   June 17, 2013 at 3:54PM
Add onion! Keeps the vampires away! Or is that garlic....Add garlic!!!
1 Like   June 17, 2013 at 3:54PM
Robin W
2.5 hours later... I have a small retaining wall.
9 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 4:28PM
You did that yourself? That's fabulous! Where did you learn to do that?
3 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 4:30PM
o k, now we have our numbers. What do I do with them? Is this a once a week thingy? Once you tell me what to do, I will be so loyal to the cause…:>)
1 Like   June 17, 2013 at 4:41PM
mefor
If we do it weekly, someone different can buy them each week :)
1 Like   June 17, 2013 at 4:43PM
mefor
Look who's just been allowed to visit my back door. Cute little garden eater baby
8 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 4:45PM
Any of you familiar with Christmas Tree Shops? I just got back. Bought my 3 candles for the house I am finishing…4" 6" and 8" heights, a jar of delicious deli dill pickles, 2 bottles of alcohol free tequila mix, a can of vinegar/salt almonds, paper cocktail napkins that tell my guests "I may be cheap, but I'm not free", Twining tea for the cutie pie. Grand total: $18.40.
5 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 4:47PM
mforr, is that a Kousa dogwood?

Watch out for deer ticks.
1 Like   June 17, 2013 at 4:49PM
pattyannb
That's so cute mforr.... We had a doe decide to prune my apple tree on Saturday... She did a little weeding for me, and when I went out later, she also pruned my wild geranium...
4 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 4:56PM
Robin W
I taught myself. It was a learn as you go process... It's not perfect, but I think I did a darned good job :)
5 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 5:00PM
Linda
For my own house, I need a new driveway - concrete but nothing ever easy at this place as I actually have a room underneath my driveway which was the original coal room for the house. So, replacing the driveway probably means digging up everything but that area and pouring new everywhere else and possibly putting a veneer over the "dungeon"
2 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 5:08PM
mefor
That's my Kousa, still going very strong, been over a month already. I have the property sprayed for ticks. My herd probably are the only tick free deer around. Love the Christmas Tree Shops, got the cutest little woven seagrass baskets to use for wastebaskets at the beach house. Found clear plastic ones at Walmart to fit inside them. I also got small bedside tables for my daughters room that I painted. Total deal :)
1 Like   June 17, 2013 at 5:18PM
handymam
Robin, you are a woman after my own heart! Sometimes, you just have to jump in and learn on the job! It looks great, what's next?
3 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 5:37PM
S. Thomas Kutch
Pouring here like a cow peeing on a flat rock.............can't even see the houses across the street.
1 Like   June 17, 2013 at 5:39PM
Robin W
I'm going to put up some fence boards to block out the view of the neighbour's truck. I think that should about finish up the night as its starting to cloud over here. Tomorrow if its nice I will be working on putting up better fence around the rest of the space.
3 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 5:45PM
Robin W
That's a pretty crazy downpour!!!
1 Like   June 17, 2013 at 5:45PM
DIAspoton
Linda, a recent issue of a 'greenie' type magazine had an interesting article on residential driveways.
they claim the correct driveways of the future will be gravel rather than concrete. it's more environmentally friendly, less expensive than concrete and certainly more attractive with a back to nature appeal.
i like the idea so long as there are some solid walking paths like bricks/pavers to protect heels from being chewed up by the stone.
1 Like   June 17, 2013 at 5:47PM
handymam
Tha's all well and good, but ever try to shovel snow out of a gravel driveway? The greenies can come shovel if they want me to use gravel, lol.
4 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 5:54PM
Jayme H.
Good job Robin...You did a great job leveling!! Well, think I'll go for a bike ride ...
4 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 5:58PM
Robin W
Nix that thought. Boards of the old fence are about 8" too short. Boo. I didn't want to sink any money into that side.
2 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 5:59PM
mefor
Wow, have you ever looked closely at some of the profile pics people have on here? Yikes!! Not sure what "business" they're in?
2 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 6:08PM
handymam
I haven't noticed, but now you are going to make me look!
1 Like   June 17, 2013 at 6:25PM
STK, you have a vivid way of describing things, it surely paints a picture.

Judy, take the numbers and buy lotto tickets any time you want, doesn't have to be on any kind of schedule, just do it!

Where is orangecamera? And I've noticed Antoinette hasn't done as much posting since that one Houzzer tore into her. What a shame, she always has great ideas.
3 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 6:55PM
olldroo
Morning all. Have a lay day today, DD has taken the kids for a public transport day - they just love it. Catch a bus and train to the CBD, wander the Opera House and anywhere else that takes their fancy, then take a ferry ride right across the harbour to Manly and catch 3 buses home. BH took off out early for the day so I went for a much overdue haircut and now I have totally stopped.

I am totally and utterly useless at the moment, I think I have been on automatic pilot for so long, I am now totally depleted of energy and too tired to even think straight.

Kutchie I think a blog would be excellent, with your sense of humour it would be a best seller.

Kd to answer your query from yesterday - roos are like any wild animal - unpredictable. The big reds which grow to a good 6ft in height are quite agressive, but the greys are a mixed bag. Once they are around people, they tame very quickly and easily and on the golf course pretty much mind their own business. There are laws against harming them and of course the Golf Clubs have to protect themselves from insurance claims if people get injured messing with them. Their main form of defence is to sit on their tails and kick out with their hind legs which are extremely powerful and can do a lot of damage.

Bobbi, glad you are finally liking yellow, it is a really pleasant colour and you can actually mix a lot of different shades of yellow. I have a feeling that Hawthorne yellow is a bit like my Cowardly Custard I love. It just sits nicely in the background while you decorate around it but adds a nice clean and cheery colour to the room. Should definitely give the Revere Pewter a boot in the butt. OMG!!!! I just realised Revere Pewter has the same inititials as your other half. Maybe that explains things.

AND on the subject of Rocky - check this out, maybe he isn't so bad after all.
http://lifestyle.ninemsn.com.au/viralvideo/311543/dog-repeatedly-shuts-shed-door-to-avoid-bath.glance
4 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 7:09PM
olldroo
Antoinette said she had a job up in the mountains and wasn't going to have much spare time for a while.
5 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 7:10PM
olldroo
Robin, do hope you can get things sorted in your basement. Nothing worse than water and the disgusting smell it leaves behind. We don't have basements here, and avoid excavating at all as Sydney sandstone is extremely porous and is a nightmare. A week of rain and water will seep for a month. If it is necessary to excavate to build a house you have to be absolutely anal about drainage and ensuring the house is not built up to a rockface.
1 Like   June 17, 2013 at 7:17PM
mefor
Night all, I'm exhausted. See you on the morrow :)
3 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 7:19PM
olldroo
Night, mforr, nice to see you again.
2 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 7:20PM
olldroo
Bobbi, this is one of my favourite rooms on house with the Hawthorne Yellow and it is very like my Cowardly Custard

]
3 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 7:20PM
Jayme H.
@bobbi..that's a shame about Antoinette. Boo to that bad behaviour that upset her and I hope she is soon bad more often!!
2 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 7:27PM
Roo, that dog is hilarious. One time Rocky accidentally opened the door to his kennel and it scared the hell out of him. He started barking at nothing, like he'd seen a ghost or something! It was purdy funny. Glad you're getting some rest. If you're not tired physically you're probably tired mentally and emotionally, it's been a whirlwind year for you so far! Have tons of fun with your family but get your share of the rest, ok?

That's too much yellow, so far, for now....but it is pretty, isn't it?
3 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 7:34PM
Jayme H.
Hi Roo!! I can understand why u r exhausted! Sounds like the kids are having a blast, and will have some wonderful memories! Agree with bobbi on the emotional exhaustion..so much worse than physical!
1 Like   June 17, 2013 at 7:34PM
olldroo
I think I can say it is a combination of all 3 - physical, emotional and mental. No wonder I am totally cactus!!! I was going to try to get to the gym today, my legs and feet (as well as my knees) are aching soooooo much, they wake me up at night - I almost feel like I have shin spints. It has suddenly turned very cold too although the sun is shining brilliantly, but I do get very cold when I am tired. I think the gym can wait - I can hear a few more old movies calling.....................
3 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 8:02PM
pattyannb
Hey Roo.... just enjoy your time with the family... Don't stress anymore OK? I know you wanted everything to be perfect for them, but really... I am sure it was all perfect to begin with... You just stressed out about it all... Get some rest... They love you for you... I am sure your house was the last thing they thought about coming to see you...

Bobbi... I love yellow! Don't really have any yellow in my home, but I am beginning to think I should...
It's just so happy...
1 Like   June 17, 2013 at 8:04PM
armygirl1987
Anyone watch ID channel, they doing an article on the three girls that were kidnapped in Cleveland for ten years.
2 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 8:05PM
pattyannb
No Angela... I am watching "The Voice"... :-)
1 Like   June 17, 2013 at 8:07PM
Robin W
Does anyone have any tips on how to keep hanging baskets alive? I keep killing them - and now my gorgeous one is on the verge... I really want to save it!!!
1 Like   June 17, 2013 at 8:12PM
armygirl1987
Ok
0 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 8:13PM
pattyannb
Robin... Water, food, water... If it's in the sun... What kind of plant is it? Maybe it's been too cold for it..
0 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 8:16PM
olldroo
I have my kitchen, family room, dining room, bedroom hallway and one bedroom walls all done in yellow, the dining room is slightly different to the rest and I love the peacefulness of it. Keeping to something like that Hawthorne too, means it doesn't scream YELLOW as in Canary, it is sort of an adult yellow.

Patty had a good stress wakeup call this morning, went to the hairdressers, my local one is just a walk in, no appointments for trims, and I had to wait a couple of minutes and promptly had a HUGE panic attack. I really had to talk myself down to convince myself I was not in a hurry, I had plenty of time to relax and wait. Recognising all the signs now fortunately.
5 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 8:17PM
Jayme H.
Old movies sound heavenly...wrap up toasty and warm and relax...try to pamper yourself for a change!
1 Like   June 17, 2013 at 8:18PM
olldroo
Robin, peat moss is supposed to be the way to preserve them and stop them drying out too quick. I just cheat with mine and use a self watering plastic pot.

The Voice finished here last night so you can have Ricky Martin and Joel Madden back. Did you know Joel was stupid enough to keep some grass in his hotel room? Maid found it and reported it to the police. He wasn't charged as it was only a very small amount but he got turfed out of his hotel room. Quite disappointing really as he has been absolutely hilarious on the show, I really got to like him.
2 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 8:20PM
Jayme H.
Robin...do u dead head off the dead flowers? I do, and it the stalks get too gangly I trim em up....make sure it's draining well and not rotting...if it's draining well...is it too dry? ..maybe add some plant food.
1 Like   June 17, 2013 at 8:20PM
pattyannb
Oh Roo... You can tell me who wins tomorrow.... LoL.... Naw... I want to see who is on tomorrow night..
Big line up! Cher is one of them... Love her...

Hang in there lady... like I said, they came to see YOU! Not your house!
1 Like   June 17, 2013 at 8:27PM
olldroo
Spread the word over there - you guys need a real wake up call with your sunlight. You have all been saying how hot it is when it is hot and that sun is v. dangerous as we have learned here the hard way.

Our schools all have school uniforms, unlike your schools, and a strict requirement, winter and summer is the kids have hats and not baseball caps either - full on big brimmed hats. They must wear them to and from school and are not allowed into the playground or do sport without them. DD just bought some new ones for the kids yesterday as she cannot even buy the type she wants in the US. Miss 7 was at a school outdoor activity last week, put her hat on as DD tell her to do and the teacher told her to take it off. DD was not backwards in telling him that she was to wear it and let him have it about skin cancer and how he should be insisting the kids wear hats, not take them off. Poor guy wondered what hit him but DD won. She has had a few emails about new things the PTA wants to implement in the school so told her she has to start to agitate for hats.

So with your kids and grands, do keep the SPF 50 handy, apply every few hours and don't let them out without a hat.
5 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 8:32PM
olldroo
Our Voice is different to yours - All Aussie.
0 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 8:35PM
Jayme H.
@roo...I agree..we use sunscreen...the poor soul I spoke of some time ago..the patient I was on my knees for, had metastatic melanoma, not a fun way to go.
0 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 8:37PM
olldroo
Our cicadas look different to yours too.
2 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 8:39PM
pattyannb
I think all schools should have uniforms... There is so much violence here because someone wanted another guys shoes... Or the rich kids that have "all the fad" clothing... It stinks...I think if everyone looks the same... Maybe, just maybe they would be treated the same...

Oh... You don't see the same Voice?... Sorry... this season has been awesome...
I really wasn't sure what you were talking about with "Ricky Martin"... And, I don't think I know who Joel Madden is...
0 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 8:41PM
olldroo
Jayme, we have kids dying in their 20s because of this and despite using the highest SPF cream available at the time.
0 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 8:41PM
pattyannb
Oh my... we have a storm starting here... thunder... lighting... gotta turn things off here... Night all...
Hugs..
2 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 8:44PM
olldroo
Joel Madden is the husband of Nicole Richie and lead singer for the band Good Charlotte. Looks a dead beat no hoper but was really funny on the show and very dedicated to the performers.

DD said there is quite a bit of momentum at the school for a uniform, but then the poorer families complain of cost. Schools here get very uppy about having school names and logos embroidered on the uniforms and have distinctive patterned dresses for the girls and ties for the boys but if they just keep them to white tops and navy bottoms for example, white shirts or polo tops can be bought across a range of stores and at a range of prices, as can navy shorts or trousers or a simple skirt. Here the girls' tunics can cost $60 or more and blazers go into hundreds of $$ but most schools have uniform pools where good second hand ones can be purchased if people can't pass them down to siblings. When you work out though that the kids usually live in 2 or 3 outfits for at least a year, it does even out in the long run.
2 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 8:51PM
Jayme H.
Ha! I was picturing the old football oops...baseball Joe Maddon...thought he would be pretty wild for his age if he were into the weed!
0 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 8:57PM
Linda
My kids had school uniforms a couple different times. Our local public school district is experimenting with uniforms for the elementary and middle school kids where the kids wear white, red, or navy polo shirts and tan or black trousers. The only problem is trying to find girls trousers that are plain...everything for girls seems to have embroidery, or some type of decoration. Some parents are complaining is that the district seems to only be requiring the uniforms for the low income schools and not for the schools in the richer neighborhoods.

Our favorite school uniforms were shirts with the school's logo on the front and the name on the back. The kids could choose navy or white and could have either regular tshirts or sweatshirts. The kids could get matching sweat pants but most just wore jeans with the school shirts.

I'm not really a fan of uniforms, except for field trips but I have no problems with a reasonable dress code. I would require solid color shirts without labels or logos - tshirts, polo shirts, sweatshirts, dress shirts;
0 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 9:27PM
olldroo
I wouldn't object to jeans at all, they are pretty much all kids wear anyway, stand up to wear and tear, and they can also be purchased from many different outlets for a variety of prices. The only problem is there are the IN brands that then become mandatory if you want to be accepted so it sort of defeats the purpose.

Actually dd was saying that they want more kids in the school so are looking at extending the feeder area but it would then take it into a poorer area where the parents may not be able to pay the fees and other problems associated with "poorer" areas and some quite heated discussions are ensuing. Honestly, what happened to kids just getting an education!!!! Here everything is set by the State and the State runs the schools. We have P & Cs that assist with fund raising and the like, but they are not as influential as your PTAs.
0 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 9:43PM
Robin W
Thunder storming here... Thankfully got the new downspout extensions on today so we'll see how they hold up tonight.

Thanks for the tips. I do deadhead it fairly regular, but I think I'm going to have to cut back a bit then feed it really well. It doesn't help all the wonky weather we've been having.
0 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 9:55PM
DIAspoton
robin, did you say what plants are in the baskets? alot of the tags say full sun but the plants really can't take hot afternoon sun. fuschias, geraniums, petunias like morning sun and afternoon shade. trailing lantana and verbena prefer to be on the dry side. suntunias may need water twice a day. be sure the self-watering basket isn't keeping the feet too wet.
1 Like   June 17, 2013 at 11:21PM
astraea
Sorry I’m just catching up now; 3 hours in the sun & fresh air led to an afternoon nap .. then going to sleep at 8:30 pm!!

Mforr – I love your “visitor”!! It didn’t rain Sunday morning, and I was up in Long Valley in Morris County the rest of the day. It got overcast & sprinkled maybe 15 minutes .. but that was it. If it rained Monday, it was after 8 pm .. I don’t think so. It was gorgeous all morning, when I was at Pier Village in Long Branch.

I went to a luncheon a couple of months ago, and one of the folks suggested buying Powerball tickets; I think 13 of us participated. That evening, he e-mailed us the numbers he’d gotten. A few days later he re-emailed with the winning numbers. We had fewer matches than you’d expect with a random selection. Oh well .. good luck to you guys!!

Roo – Hilarious video of the dog avoiding his bath!! Is there really a paint color “Cowardly Custard” .. or is that something you named, because you were thinking about getting something brighter .. but chickened out?
Doesn’t it seem strange to you, when young couples with little kids sign up for these TV shows that either keep them away from home for months on end, or having them “commuting” all the time? I’d hope that some of them would make a commitment not to do that as long as they have children < 5, to reduce the stress on their marriages!! As far as the “career opportunities lost”; does it really matter if between the 2 of them they bring in $2 million a year, instead of the possible $5 million?!
2 Likes   June 18, 2013 at 4:18AM
mefor
Hope you enjoyed your Christie time, Astraea. He's a great governor, love him. I'll post some pictures later of some of the garden at beach, it's so much better now! Glad you liked Bambi, that little leaf thief! There's about seven or eight in hiding right now, she's the first one that mommy let come near house.
0 Likes   June 18, 2013 at 4:28AM
handymam
mforr, you have a garden at the beach? How cool! Yes, do post.
1 Like   June 18, 2013 at 4:32AM
astraea
mforr - I miss my deer & turkeys from north Jersey!! Last year my raccoon had babies; wonder who'll show up this summer?!
1 Like   June 18, 2013 at 4:33AM
DIAspoton
that 'dirty' door closing dog video is GMA's 'play of the day' today.
0 Likes   June 18, 2013 at 4:49AM
mefor
I have the deer, same herd, I scare off any interlopers, there's enough already. Raccoons, possums, foxes, groundhogs, wild turkeys, owls, hawks and herons. There is a lot of action. And tons of babies right now. There are woods around the property and the birds sound like a sound effect tape from a movie. Also there's all the "peep" frogs announcing spring and a small fish pond in front of house that is a very green, murky home to at least 80-100 fan tailed goldfish in colors from white, gold, orange and black, with striped and spotted in all of those colors combined. Also home to about 10 frogs who love to talk to me and especially my husband and son who have very deep voices. It's a crazy menagerie! Some people who live about a quarter mile from here have those white domesticated ducks, I think a Muscovy and something else mix, that parade down the road or through the woods and visit my meadow and other bigger pond (that is more like a giant swampy mud puddle when there isn't a ton of rain) they are so funny and don't like each other very much but still hang out together. Also a big, old turtle lumbers up from the pond and lays eggs in the same spot every year, funny, I always seem to look out the window and catch her every year. What are the odds of that happening? It's not like I'm plastered up against the window waiting for it!
2 Likes   June 18, 2013 at 5:00AM
astraea
mforr - sigh .. I miss having/being surrounded by all that wooded area, that attracts more animals. I have possum & raccoon now (miss the skunks), lots of birds, squirrels & chipmunks. It was interesting on Sunday .. quiet all the way thru Morris County on 206/24, but once I hit the Somerville area on 287S, I began passing areas with cicadas making a racket!

I used to live a few minutes from the Celery Farm in Allendale, where I'd get my fill of lake-loving waterfowl, turtles & frogs.
0 Likes   June 18, 2013 at 5:30AM
mefor
We have friends in mahwah, love that area. Last year I looked out back and scared some skunk babies. They were so funny, they all touched noses and made a "skunk starfish shape" and staying in formation sidled away very slowly, it was the cutest thing I've ever seen. Maybe they were trying to appear like a giant skunk monster. :)
2 Likes   June 18, 2013 at 6:16AM
olldroo
Astraea - Cowardly Custard is the actual name of the paint - not one of my smart remarks for a change.

From what I heard, Joel Madden brought Nicole and the kids out here with him, but I don't know about Ricky Martin, there was no mention of his kids at all. I guess so many of them have Nannies that probably see more of the kids than the parents do anyway, they wouldn't even notice the parents missing for a few months. Of course with technology today, FaceTime and Skype make distance irrevelent.
0 Likes   June 18, 2013 at 7:07AM
mefor
It's like an old western movie, "cowardly custard is for yellow bellies, now draw!!!"
2 Likes   June 18, 2013 at 7:10AM
Linda
We spent a year and a half in London when my kids were in elementary school. One of my daughter's classmates was the youngest child of a very rich Arab family who was still too young for boarding school. This kid actually had two sets of nannies - one for the week and then another couple who stayed with him on the weekends. Plus, his own limo driver and bodyguard as well
1 Like   June 18, 2013 at 7:13AM
handymam
Hey mforr, how are you today?

Roo, my daughter was a big Good charlotte fan! Saw them with her dad when she was in middle school. Joel seems pretty sensible and family oriented.
2 Likes   June 18, 2013 at 7:13AM
mefor
I'm doing great, handymam! How are you? Did you get any of that rain? My mother lives in Clinton and it was rockin' and rollin'. I missed the worst of it. I'm going to post some pics of garden for you and I came across some pre renovation pics of beach house. The befores look like a hillbilly shack from an over the top tv show. When people tell me I have "vision" I now finally believe them. Or I'm totally insane and masochistic!! You'll love these, guaranteed. I can't stop laughing and I haven't even posted them yet. I'll have to switch to phone, that's where the pics are.
1 Like   June 18, 2013 at 7:23AM
handymam
I can't wait to see these pics now, lol!
0 Likes   June 18, 2013 at 7:24AM
mefor
This is the back corner of house where the outdoor shower was/is. Look what they found when they took the cementboard side wall of shower down!!! I can't stop laughing!!!! Anyway, it's much better now. And I designed and decided on every single change and refurbishment to that house. Builder just stood back, nodded and got to it. And then said he originally thought I was nuts to take this on. Afterwards, he said it was one of his favorite projects. Before he flaked out on me and didn't finish punch list, oh well, nobody is perfect. I'll post the garden pics after. There's a lot, but I could have gone on forever, I'm so happy with it. :)
3 Likes   June 18, 2013 at 7:38AM
mefor
Garden
4 Likes   June 18, 2013 at 7:40AM
mefor
Garden
3 Likes   June 18, 2013 at 7:41AM
mefor
Garden
2 Likes   June 18, 2013 at 7:42AM
mefor
Garden
1 Like   June 18, 2013 at 7:42AM
kimdee24
Beautiful, mforr!
2 Likes   June 18, 2013 at 7:43AM
mefor
Still more to plant, perennials and a few annuals. And some big blue ceramic pots to fill, so excited that no one will eat any of it.
1 Like   June 18, 2013 at 7:44AM
Jayme H.
mforr....Just Lovely!!!!!!!! LOVE!!
2 Likes   June 18, 2013 at 8:35AM
mefor
Thank you kim and jayme! What, no comment on toilet hanging out of wall??? :)))))
1 Like   June 18, 2013 at 8:40AM
kimdee24
LOL, I saw it -- I assume it's no longer there!
1 Like   June 18, 2013 at 9:05AM
Jayme H.
@mforr...the gardening/landscaping is just like what I love!!!
3 Likes   June 18, 2013 at 9:12AM
mefor
I can only imagine going in to use powder room and sitting down and leaning back a little too hard, and wham!!! You're outside. The little piece of cementboard was the only thing behind it. What a crazy house!! Oh, and yes, it's gone away to the place all bad toilets go.
2 Likes   June 18, 2013 at 9:16AM
mefor
Tried to make it lower maintenance, because I'm not always there. Even though, I love to go there almost year round, it's nice to be at shore off season, even off, off season.
2 Likes   June 18, 2013 at 9:18AM
Robin W
Love it mforr!!
1 Like   June 18, 2013 at 9:27AM
mefor
Thanks robin :)
0 Likes   June 18, 2013 at 9:31AM
astraea
Mforr – I was in Upper Saddle River; best friends live in Mahwah, and was up there a couple of weeks ago. Do you watch News12? My current town was on the news this morning .. but not in a good way. This is a very quiet town, so when there’s a shooting, it catches my attention!
0 Likes   June 18, 2013 at 9:32AM
Robin W
A shooting?!?! Holy!!!
0 Likes   June 18, 2013 at 9:34AM
mefor
Oh, didn't see that, what happened? It is a lovely, quiet, sleepy, family town. One of my favorites.
0 Likes   June 18, 2013 at 9:34AM
mefor
Hmmm, owner of the sand bar restaurant shot someone who worked for him, maybe a love connection? He's apparently holed up in his point pleasant home. Shocking for that quiet area, Astraea.
2 Likes   June 18, 2013 at 10:13AM
astraea
Robin - Well the self-defense theory (if used) won't work, since the victim was allegedly shot in the back! The latest update was that the victim is an employe at The Sandbar restaurant, and the shooter is the owner .. so as they say, "the plot thickens"!
1 Like   June 18, 2013 at 10:14AM
astraea
I looped past the restaurant, on the way home from the salon this morning, but everything's quiet again.
0 Likes   June 18, 2013 at 10:15AM
mefor
Thank goodness, the action has moved away from your area. How awful, is she still alive?
0 Likes   June 18, 2013 at 10:16AM
astraea
mforr - Critical but stable condition, and she identified who shot her. Now the state police are involved; they evacuated the area around where the Sandbar owner lives in Point Pleasant.
1 Like   June 18, 2013 at 10:50AM
mefor
They got him, what a terrible thing for the woman and awful for all the people who had to be evacuated until about 1:20
1 Like   June 18, 2013 at 11:20AM
astraea
mforr - I think they said that the police came around his neighborhood around 4 am, telling people to evacuate. I'm not sure I'd even go to the door, if the bell rang at that hour .. I'd rather stay locked up in my house, but they worry about "stray bullets"!
0 Likes   June 18, 2013 at 11:33AM
mefor
I know, I thought about that too. I wouldn't trust anyone a door, unless I knew them already or I could see the actual police car, not just a flashing light either. Scary :(
0 Likes   June 18, 2013 at 11:38AM
mefor
Handymam, oh handymam!!! What happened to you? Where did you go?
0 Likes   June 18, 2013 at 2:52PM
handymam
mforr, oh, mforr, I am back from my real life! (The one I go to sometimes when I am not on here, lol!)

Your house and gardens are just gorgeous! So jealous, but I know you put a lot of yourself into what you did. You really have a great sense of style! That color on your house is perfect. No wonder you suggested it to someone the other day!

I am really going to kidnap you now and pick your brain for all my projects I am juggling, hehe!
1 Like   June 19, 2013 at 5:10AM
mefor
Thanks handymam, that means a lot to me, coming from you. Please tell me you enjoyed my hillbilly outhouse picture at the top of those posts. It's my favorite, favorite image and cracks me up every time I see it. I'm grinning like a lunatic even now, lol.
1 Like   June 19, 2013 at 5:19AM
handymam
Yes, I meant to say that I don't know how you were able to see past all of that to envision what you ended up with! Was thinking that bathroom must have been really cold with just that thin little wall between you and the outdoors! LOL.

How long did the transformation take?
0 Likes   June 19, 2013 at 5:34AM
mefor
Eight months. Whew!!
1 Like   June 19, 2013 at 5:51AM
handymam
That's all?? It took me 17 years to get my yard to having the look it does, lol.
1 Like   June 19, 2013 at 5:53AM
mefor
It was freezing, there was no insulation in house and some really nasty old baseboard heat. Put in a combination ac and gas heat furnace in attic , lost the yucky baseboard, gained hot water on demand and room for a laundry room in what was the utility room with gigantic furnace and crappy giant water heater. Love the Navian hot water on demand system. Works really well. Great project, soooooo glad it's done, except for bits and pieces :)
1 Like   June 19, 2013 at 5:57AM
mefor
The garden was separate project, we had someone to do the stonework, no way we were doing that!!! Also had some of the bushes and three trees done by them. We planted a bunch of bushes, perennials, roses, grasses and one tree. It took them 8 days to do their part and we've been doing it for three weekends now. Still need some more planting done, but it's really looking great already. Not that I want to rush the years, but I wish I could see the mature garden now!! Patience is not really my greatest virtue. If I have any virtues, lol :)
1 Like   June 19, 2013 at 6:01AM
handymam
So this was a very recent house purchase then?

Don't rush the plantings to grow! Then there will be trimming involved and less time on houzz!
1 Like   June 19, 2013 at 6:05AM
mefor
Nooooo!!!! Don't take my houzz time away. I won't rush it, but my mom is a genius at hedge trimming. We used to tease her that she must go over everything with manicure scissors because it was soooo perfect. She is the true green thumb in our family. I'm the house interior and exterior wizard and my husband and two kids get a lot of work to do. Ok, maybe it's mostly just my husband.
1 Like   June 19, 2013 at 6:14AM
handymam
I am the brains of decorating and repairs in my housse, but my husband has the wallet and the braun, lol.
1 Like   June 19, 2013 at 6:25AM
mefor
Sounds like you and I are a team!! Exactly the same here, lol
1 Like   June 19, 2013 at 6:37AM
OLLD - 5/17
TGIF - Does it feel that way for you too?
OLLD 3/17
Good St. Patrick's Day morning! That was some discussion...
OLLD 10/17
Leaves are falling all around. Autumn is taking hold...
OLLD 11/17
Happy Sunday all, do you spend your Sunday at church,...
OLLD 7/17
Morning! No one started today's discussion? Or did...
I need help with my kitchen!
Hello. I am a new homeowner and need help with ideas...
need help with my bathroom
This is a small bathroom in the playroom downstairs....
I am redoing my bathroom in contemporary style and have a grout questi
I am using white subway tiles on the floor and shower...
Help balancing living room please.
So we moved into our rental on Sept 1 and I kinda just...
Kitchen cabinets next to white shutters
I have white shutters in my kitchen and they are right...