Fireplace in Living Room
ifywhitfill
I need help! We are building a house that is 815 sqft on the first floor. There is no formal entry way and the living room is fairly small (~15 x13) What make it even more difficult is that the living room is open to the dining/kitchen area. That being said, we would like a fireplace in the living room. Here is the dilemma...where would you recommend that we place our fireplace? (refer to floorplan). Thank you :) Any other suggestions about the floorplan (based on experience) is welcome.
jabber629
I would simply put it along the wall it shares with the powder room, as you are capable of putting a fireplace abutting a garage, my neighbors did. However, it would have to be a gas fireplace, which is probably what you were planning on doing anyway. Hope this helped!
    Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 9:47AM
ifywhitfill
Yes it will be a vent-free gas fireplace, but then there is the problem of where to place furniture? Thanks for your input.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 10:17AM
jabber629
I would put two chairs on either side of the window directly across from the couch and with a coffee table in between. That way, the fireplace would be your focal point.
    Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 10:19AM
jabber629
And then possibly a buffet table or low table of some sort against the staircase directly across the fireplace. As for the fireplace, I would flank it with bookcases if there is enough room.
    Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 10:21AM
ifywhitfill
Thank you so much, this is really helpful. The real problem is my builder wants to put the fireplace against the staircase. His argument is that it is already a walkway for traffic flow. I think that's crazy to put it there, but want to see what others think?
1 Like    Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 10:23AM
jabber629
I think he's crazy...The only place I could really see a fireplace work in that space is on the wall opposite the stairs.
    Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 10:30AM
4lynn
What about if you moved the powder room further into the garage space and put a FP wall where the opening between the DR and LR is, with room to walk on either side. Then all three rooms would have a view of FP and the eating/food preparation area would be partially open to LR but still be partially private as well. Put TV on garage wall and furniture on window wall and stair wall. I would move front door a little to the right as well so it doesn't open directly into the staircase and MB.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 10:40AM
jabber629
That sounds like a great plan! I think moving the powder room would give the house much better sight lines and improve flow
    Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 10:43AM
ifywhitfill
@4Lynn, they actually refused to move the Powder room more into the garage so we removed it completely, from the 1st floor, in hopes of added one later ourselves that we can push more into the garage (sorry, I should have stated that earlier). I like the idea of putting the FP between the DR and LR. We can't move the front door though because of the symmetry of the windows in the rest of the house, plus everything is already framed :(
    Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 10:49AM
Shannon Taylor Scarlett, Architects
I agree that moving the powder room is key if you plan to locate a fireplace on the same wall. (You don't want the door into the toilet as part of the focal point!) If you put the powder room along the back of the garage, at least partially into garage, you could add a small pantry where the powder room sink currently is shown. Then you create a little vestibule from the garage, and hide the powder room door from view.
I am also noticing there are no windows on the master bedroom side wall, or in the master bath. Natural light can do a lot to open up small rooms. I'd consider adding windows.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 10:53AM
felixgrantham
What do you mean "they refused"? You're paying them, so unless the slab has been poured, your opinion should rule.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 11:05AM
Merry McMahon
You could put the fireplace on the back wall where the window is and put windows on each side of it letting in more light and still a focal point when you walk in. Should be an easy change.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 11:38AM
Fireplace and living room need help
We just moved and are happy to finally have a fireplace,...
brynnakins
Need help with angled fireplace in living room
New house has an angled fireplace in the living room....
richbr
Fireplace in Living Room redo
Living Room Fireplace - want to change the tile that...
dorothyrogers
corner fireplace in living room
I would like to arrange the furniture in such a way...
Emily Watson Bertsch
TV placement with fireplace in living room
I recently purchased my townhome and am looking to...
Jeff Lockhart
Kitchen Cabinets
Want design for corner cabinet
Nancy Towne
My living room
I need help with colors. We are in the process of baseboard...
kboxall
bedding
Is it ok to use a matching bedding collection or is...
janewegener
Behr to BM paint colors?
My friend is a designer and is helping me with paint...
Heather
Choosing Living Room Carpet
I am purchasing wall to wall carpet for my great room...
Maria