Kitchen Island Size
jross726
Hi - does anyone have a suggestion on the right size for an island in the kitchen you see here? It's a large space, so we don't want the island too small, but as it is, it is too big. If people are sitting on both sides, they won't be able to reach into the center to grab food as it is. However, I also don't want an island to be lost in the kitchen and then look out of place. What are your thoughts?

Thanks so much!
illig1
I think the size of the island looks perfect.
0 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 8:16AM
Best Tile & Wood
It is large for sure. What material are you planning on using? Also, what is the base? Take some masking tape and tape the area out on the floor. It looks like you are planning to use it as a table. May want to think about bringing it down in size a bit and possibly getting some storage out of it.
0 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 8:36AM
Joanne Jakab Interior Design
Since kitchens have become larger we have started creating Zones instead of relying strictly on the Triangle method for design. Snack zones, prep zone, cooking zone. The Triangle method of Prep area, Cook area and Clean area is ideal at a total of 21 - 24 total feet. Pretend you are cooking - now draw lines along the walking route from your fridge, to your stove, to your sink - 4 or 5 times per meal.....
I would turn the island 90 degrees per se - same as breakfast table direction. I would make the island 5 feet wide (instead of 9 feet) by 7 feet long (instead of 6 feet) . I would place seating on the far right side - 3 to 4 stools will fit depending on the size and style. Now the walk from each area will also have the benefit of a 7 foot long prep counter and an easy 5 foot reach - 3 foot prep counter and 2 foot eating overhang. Plus the area behind the stove will be increased which will allow safer movement for everyone and still leaves ample space behind the fridge and sinks. I suggest the placement of the island within the Kitchen area to change from 5'-91/2" off of the stove wall to approx 7'. This will allow adequate room behind the stools for traffic flow. I feel that when you make your "travelling" preparation walks on paper you will see a big improvement.
2 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 8:40AM
jross726
Thank you all for your thoughts! They are great. I wanted to attach another picture, just to give you a sense of the other side of the kitchen. While this is in the works, hopefully it will help show the rest of the kitchen layout generally and how the island fits in with it. Please let me know your thoughts! Thank you again!
0 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 9:16AM
QMA Architects & Planners
I agree with the previous comment about turning the island 90 degrees to provide more clearance at the stove. However I also try to not have seating within the primary work areas in the kitchen. This would be across from the sink and Range. If you need to seat 6 at your island you may want to consider moving 3 seats from the sink side of the island to the dining room side.
0 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 9:48AM
OnePlan
Hi ! So the ideal amount of stools at the breakfast bar would be...? I have never seen an island quite like this before ?! I think with a bit of tweaking it could improve somewhat !!
0 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 12:28PM
jross726
@OnePlan - what changes are you thinking of? When we go to our friends' houses, we spend most of the time in the kitchen and around islands where just a few people are sitting. Everyone else is uncomfortably standing, so we thought it would be great to get as much seating around the island as possible. We were thinking 6 stools.
0 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 1:00PM
illig1
Upon looking at your layout pic more closely, I agree with Joanne that you need more clearance on the end of the island by the range. Perhaps you could make the island less bulky by reducing its length near the range and making it five feet wide rather than six feet wide. That would give you nice large corridors around it, thus reducing congestion problems at the sink, range and oven.
0 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 1:10PM
chairmansgirl
I like the size you have drawn out; don't over think it too much (i.e. can't reach across, etc.). Although perhaps not by a designer's standards I had my island built the width of base cabinets, back to back. There is a small overhang but is enough to sit at from any direction. The countertop is soapstone; my sink & dishwasher are located in the island & I was certain to make sure there were electrical outlets on each end.
0 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 1:20PM
Fred S
Most people join around an island because they are conversing with the person doing the cooking. I seems that you have taken the person working in the kitchen and forced them to have their back to the conversation. That is where all the work areas are. Perhaps try a U shaped seating area around a work center.
2 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 1:30PM
Don vonAhlefeld, Hayes Cabinets Inc.
I think the best islands put the kitchen visitors out on a bulb on one corner of the island. Where they are close by for conversations but not in the cooks way. I do variations of this island shape all the time. It is a very friendly feeling to be sitting in the round rather than in a row. I call it a comma shape. This one has a cooktop on the corner opposite the seating for 6. I apologize for the quality of this drawing. It's one I did 10 years ago.
0 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 2:13PM
Fred S
@ Don not seeing drawing.
0 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 2:22PM
OnePlan
as it's more of a social hub by the sound of it - to include the cook - why not consider this .... swap the oversized island for a stand size or even just a large chopping block with out any seating - add an oversized table and chairs - say 8' table with 6 chairs - so lots of space for sitting - add a coupe of table top grills (bodum do a nice one ) and give each of you guests something to grill (meat /fish / halumi etc) while they chat !
0 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 11:39PM
Fred S
teppanyaki , and you could charge them for the show.
1 Like   June 18, 2013 at 12:05AM
carolins
I don't know at which stage you are with building or planning this kitchen, but it seems to me that the layout isn't very practical. Joanne Jakab's suggestion of imagining that you're cooking and seeing how you move through your kitchen... you'll be walking miles in this one and the proposed island will be very much in the way I think.

So... since this is a very social space to you, why not make it more like a real bar. Either moving the sink or the cooker to the bar side of the kitchen. Something like this; not your style, but the shape could be good for what you'd want from your kitchen:
My Houzz: Aptos
Bloomfield Renovation
Woodrow Kitchen
Traditional Kitchen
0 Likes   June 18, 2013 at 12:07AM
OnePlan
Hi Carolina !! Love those pics ! I have designed rooms like those , though its really difficult to hold a large conversation on a straight run bar like that ... Which is a shame as they look so pretty! Can work if you have one person 'holding court' to the others in a row - so for example mum at the back and a row of children all eating their breakfast ! Could be funny if they treated their guests like that !! Tee hee !!!
1 Like   June 18, 2013 at 12:29AM
carolins
LOL Karen. I can so see that happening :-) Imagine having 6 kids though... I know a family who have 10 kids. I kid you not.
I have a bar area in my kitchen for people to sit and talk to me when I'm cooking. For some reason however, some people always end up sitting on the counter. Ah well, next time I want a kitchen like in the above pics. Easier to keep them all under control. And if they don't behave and move towards the counter tops I just hit them with a wooden spoon.
2 Likes   June 18, 2013 at 4:19AM
sashik
I like the island, perhaps the idea of having people a bit closer would also work instead of facing each other.
Just one small remark (i know this was not your question, sorry!) but isnt the fridge a bit too far way from sink and cooking area? You will need to walk forth and back a lot it seems. I am better with metric system (cm, meters) so perhaps I am wrong?
0 Likes   June 18, 2013 at 6:24AM
Need help with kitchen island color
Help! Cabinets are getting painted alabaster white,...
klekas65
Paint color help!
We just bought a house that we love...however our style...
wseignious
Single or double sink
We are renovating our main upper bathroom. There is...
wopnford5
help for my dining and living room
hi, this is my living and dining room. something bothers...
filiozep
Too Many Doors in Bedroom
Here is a floorplan of the room, not exactly to scale,...
mrsclark