Any opinions on laminate or concrete countertops?
Kelsey
I am trying to renovate a kitchen on a very tight budget, so while I would love to have granite or quartz or something else that's equally gorgeous for my countertops, my budget says I can't. Champagne tastes on a PBR budget :) The countertop will be about 45 sq ft and will have a peninsula that extends out so there will be a countertop height bar on the otherside. Standard laminate countertops are out because they don't offer that flexibility for an island/peninsula, but I've been looking at the Formica 180fx line which comes in wide sheets, and it's actually pretty impressive looking. I've also been looking into concrete countertops. There's a ton of information out there about both but I wanted to see if any of you had experience with either. What are the pros/cons? What was the cost (if you don't mind sharing)? Did you DIY, have a contractor or bring in a specialist? Any other cost-effective options you think I may be overlooking?
Casey Tomlinson
I saw my friend's kitchen uses laminated countertops and it's pretty just like granite. He said that he asked some help to install it so combined the labor fee, it is still much cheaper than the granite countertop, See my pic it's kinda the same installed in my friend's house.
June 17, 2013 at 2:00pm     
Fred S
Creativity is key when working with laminate. This is the only seam in the whole kitchen. The screw is pointing at it.
June 17, 2013 at 2:33pm   
Fred S
Try again.
June 17, 2013 at 2:36pm   
roosterdavis
I'll tell you this: Formica is back in the game. I used them to replicate an early 60's boomerang pattern that they started remaking. They have a breadth of color options and they wear really well. I used to fabricate and install countertops and would strongly argue against wood edges of any kind. The look is dated and it doesn't wear well, day to day. Concrete is expensive and requires your cabinets to be built like Alcatraz.
June 17, 2013 at 10:18pm     
sheryl N
don't go with the laminate, we did it and i am so unhappy, wish i had gone with formica or even just tiled the tops. I hate the look of the laminate and it has chipped at bit in places. Better to wait a bit longer, spend just a little more and get a better quality, Good luck. :-)
June 18, 2013 at 5:00am   
Fred S
Formica is a brand of laminate. It comes in all different looks and quality.
June 18, 2013 at 5:23am   
0825sam
June 18, 2013 at 5:23am   
chesternester
You can do concrete counter tops yourself. There is a lot of info out there on how to do it. Quikcrete actually makes a concrete counter top mix now that can be ordered at Home Depot or other home improvement stores. I'm going to be doing it later this summer for my basement bar. I think the biggest thing is realizing that they may not come out perfect, and embracing that imperfection. Also, if you want the high gloss look of granite, with concrete, that increases the necessary tools and thus the cost, cause they are very specific tools.
June 18, 2013 at 6:02am   
Need help with wall art
Need help finding wall art that goes with my furniture....
Which benchtop should i pick ? Please help
Which is better stone or timber bench tops , I'm completely...
Recessed Toilet Paper Holder or No?
We are remodeling our original master bath from the...
Dark grout and subway tiles.
I am wondering if anyone has any advice regarding using...