Paint wood panelling or not?!
golfbroad
Should I paint this wall? It is a cathedral wall, covered in real maple wood strips. I prefer a lighter "New England" look. All other walls are painted in yellow/burgundy. I attached the family room photo where the wall goes up to the mezzanine. I was thinking of also bead-boarding the ceiling and not sure what to do with the fake wood beams. Your suggestions would be really appreciated!
jabber629
I'd paint it white for sure. It's just to overwhelming and dated looking otherwise.
June 17, 2013 at 3:05pm   
grannythedecorator
We've a 168 yr. old home that we spent two years restoring. The wdwk. had many years of white paint on it and we spent agonizing hours stripping all the white paint off down to the natural look of the wood....well, a few years ago, I started painting all that wood out back to white once again and it is honestly the thing that made the biggest difference in the house for the positive....it made everything seem so much brighter and bigger and cleaner looking even though the house is already big. I think the look of wood is more a "guy" thing then a "girl" thing. I understand how agonizing making a decision like that can be because once it's painted it's painted until you or the next person decides to strip it down....have you ever considered whitewashing it instead. This is a very popular and up-to-date way bringing a brand new look to your home that looks so clean, fresh and larger.....if you go to HGTV and look for Sarah Richardson's site there, you can view many of the homes that she has done. I personally love her work...not the best pics but it gives you the idea of the before and after...
June 17, 2013 at 3:07pm   
Vastyan, LLC
Definitely paint it. Maybe even the brick too
June 17, 2013 at 3:21pm     
felixgrantham
Agree, paint wood & the brick. Or at least a whitewash for a cottage-y look.

Beams are too small, but I like the look of beams on a vaulted ceiling. Any good carpenter can "beef" them out for you relativity cheaply. I would not spring for beadboard - it would look nice, but I think it would be overkill with the rest of the wood, and frankly, people just don't pay that much attention to ceilings!
June 17, 2013 at 3:28pm   
Suzanne Kosic
Paint the panels a light mist gray and the fireplace a deep granite. That won't really mark your red wall pop. Add a couple of red decorative statues or brick a brak on your mantel and in couch pillows or a red chair.
June 17, 2013 at 3:48pm   
Suzanne Kosic
Also paint the spindles on the upper level or close it in. Good luck! Suzanne
June 17, 2013 at 3:50pm   
I would keep the brick, and gray wash it if you need a more cottage-y look after painting the panelling. The vertical wall details in the paneling are still going to give you a lot of texture. The burgundy wall really is not a good color with the brick, but if you like a new england look, you should key off those tones. For the look you want, I believe a wash will do the best for you rather than painting it all out. Let's allow the red to pop in accents and wreaths -

so I would wash the paneling (paint, watered down by 1/3, put on in one thin coat, to allow the grain and tannins to read through - like antiqued wood). If you will use a taupe paint like http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW7024-functional-gray/
and wash all the wood, then use the next lighter shade - requisite gray - for all the other walls, you will really get a great result. This neutral will really set a light and calm backdrop for your style. The shape of the chimney brick are so darling, but if you decide you want to paint them, you can wash them too - using watered down masonry paint - use the lighter alpaca shade. I think the color of the brick are so nice and neutral that you will be happiest to keep them, but if they feel dark to you when the wall is washed, then try that first.

The trim at the windows and the spindles can then remain white because the contrast is not so high. Wood trim like the wall cap would then be painted out white / consistent throughout space.

At the ceiling, don't add beadboard since you have so much texture at the wall - they will compete. Do keep and paint the fake beams with the deeper tone Griffin - so all the neutrals support your vision.
June 17, 2013 at 4:31pm   
annavic
I would say dont touch the brick but paint he paneling white
June 17, 2013 at 4:48pm   
tennisanyone
I am in the minority here but I would not paint the panelling. I love the space. I love the texture and the lines but what I don't like is the paint color. it is not enhancing the wood or the fireplace. It is jarring. I would paint over the red in a warmer beige/green tone, which I think I see a hint of in the pillow on the couch and bring the cottage /new england accents around the room. I would even beef up the beams on the ceiling or not and paint the ceiling too. I would also remove the valences which are closing in the windows and do panels. Why is everything on one side of the room? Can you take a picture of the entire space. You can still do New England without painting the panelling.
June 17, 2013 at 5:23pm     
Fred S
Do not paint the wood.
June 17, 2013 at 5:46pm     
I agree with tennisanyone. I think the broken up panels make it interesting, but the red is killing your space.
June 17, 2013 at 5:57pm     
ee42479
Paint white.
June 17, 2013 at 6:36pm   
shilpisharmapatel
I would suggest creating a white washed french riviera look. For ideas type in white washed wood on houzz. This will also contrast well with your red brick. Its a clean, modern look with a timeless feel to it. It will also bring out te natural beauty of the wood. Good luck!!
June 17, 2013 at 6:45pm   
dfransko
You have amazing architectural details with the wood paneling and brick fireplace... Painting it would be a crime. That room could look amazing, you just cant see it. Hire a designer to help with this. You will not regret the expense.
June 17, 2013 at 6:53pm   
Natalie
Love the wood! FP is ok, could paint it. All the walls should be the same color---perhaps Accessible Beige by Sherwin Williams... Pale blue ceiling. Slipcovers for the leather furniture... Fun colorful pillows. Good Luck!
[houzz=pillows][houzz=Buckhead Colonial Farmhouse][houzz=Southern Living Idea House]
June 17, 2013 at 7:04pm     
To paint/not to paint wood panel wall around fireplace and what color(s)?
We just purchased this house and would like some opinion...
Dark Wood Paneling (not smooth) How would you brighten?
I would like to paint the paneling - all furniture...
Help Needed - staging house for sale - paint paneling or not?
I would appreciate input. Our house is on the market....
Paneled walls ...paint or not?
About to Reno this room. The walls are real wood paneled...
Panelling - Do I paint it or not?
I'd like to make the room look larger. It also has...
Silestone Lagoon or Caesarstone Frosty Carina?
I had been struggling b/t Silestone Lyra and Lagoon...
can you use different fabrics on a sofa and love seat in the same room
I have a white slipcovered sofa and love seat. I am...
Cannot figure out this space
Our foyer opens out into the "Great Room". There is...
How would you separate the bed from the rest of the room?
The photos are of the same area but taken from different...
Let's play with my living room...
Hello,any suggestions for my living , choice of colour,all...