How To Arrange Room Around Built In Shelving
alcompton
We will be moving into this house next month that has a family room in the basement. It is a long rectangular room with two doors opposite each other on the short walls with a built in shelf that sticks halfway out into the room between the two doors. One door goes to a hallway and the other door goes outside. The outside door will probably be used often to enter and exit the house. As you are looking towards the outside door there is a double closet to the right. The first picture is looking into the room from the hallway door towards the outside door. The 2nd photo is looking at the shelf as you come in from the hallway. I hope these descriptions make sense. These are the only 2 photos I have of the room. I am wondering how to arrange the furniture in this room around the shelving unit and doors. The shelving unit cannot be removed because it covers pipes and other things. This will be our sitting room where we watch TV so it will be a casual space. At this time the only item we have that HAS to go in this room is a 60 inch TV which can not be hung on the wall because it is not completely flat. Then you can assume we would have your typical family room type furniture. (possibly new) The furniture in the photos is not ours. If there is anything I can do to help clarify the layout of the room please let me know. Thanks for your help!
alcompton
I found a third photo that is looking towards the shelf as you come in from the outside door.
June 17, 2013 at 6:15PM   
Almost impossible to suggest furniture arrangements without knowing the dimension or a floor plan of the room.
June 17, 2013 at 6:22PM   
alcompton
According to the listing sheet it is 16 x 13. Each short side has a door in the corner. The doors are opposite of each other. Next to one door is a double closet on the long wall. On the long wall that has the double closet there is a built in shelving unit that sticks out into the room about 2/3 of the way into the room. On the opposite wall there is a large window which can be seen in one of the photos. It is centered nicely on the wall and about twice as big as what can be seen in the photo.
June 17, 2013 at 6:36PM   
alcompton
OK, I tried to make a little map of the layout. Maybe this will help.
June 17, 2013 at 6:55PM   
alcompton
There has to be someone out there with a great idea!
June 18, 2013 at 12:05PM   
LB Interiors
I'm not sure if this can work for you. TV is placed in the closet space. Angled two seater sofa. Tall plant. Floor lamp. Two small stool/tables. Bookcase under window. Two chairs with a table and lamp, Plants.
Not to scale.
Before - Floor Plan for a narrow room divided by bookcase shelving unit. After - Floor Plan for a narrow room divided by bookcase shelving unit.
June 18, 2013 at 11:57PM     
alcompton
That is a nice idea! I'm not sure if we can afford to give up the closet space but definitely something to consider.
June 19, 2013 at 12:36AM     
KShoa
You'll have a lot more flexibility if you remove the shelving unit.
June 19, 2013 at 12:44AM   
alcompton
It can not be moved. It has some pipes and things inside of it. I think one of them is the sewer clean out or something like that.
June 19, 2013 at 10:14AM   
alcompton
I like the shelve. I just don't like where it is. I love built ins usually.
June 19, 2013 at 10:15AM   
Please help with my recessed lighting layout for my kitchen/dining
Hello all, this is my first time posting, and I would...
need help lighting gally kitchen, diennet
opening wall bet den & diennet to give an open feeling...
Has anyone installed LG Viatera Rococo?
I am thinking about using LG Viatera Rococo in my kitchen,...
Large, new, stone castle type house w/tower. Window type?
Stone will be lighter in color, old world feel. Slate...
Now I need help with comforter.
I like these 2 rugs that were suggested, leaning towards...