Kitchen backsplash - Beadboard or Tile???
kristenmeek
So I have been wanting a backsplash for some time now in my kitchen. I love beadboard. I have seen many kitchens with white and cream colored cabinets with it. Unfortunately, my cabinets are cherry. Do you think I can still get by with using beadboard? I wanted to paint it a cream and glaze it to make it look distressed.... What do you think?
houssaon
I think it would be lovely! I think the way you want to finish it will tie in with the counter top.

This isn't the look you're going for, but you can see beadboard looks great with wood tone cabinets: Stephen Szabo, New kitchen and Craftsman Kitchen

Good luck.
June 17, 2013 at 8:33PM   
Dura Supreme Cabinetry
Tile :)
June 18, 2013 at 10:58AM   
jabber629
I think a diamond travertine tile would look best
June 18, 2013 at 11:07AM     
Mark
I think you should do the bead board because it sounds like you have a vision of what you want it to look like and bead board can look very nice. You can always tile it down the road should you grow tired of how the bead board looks. Good luck !
June 18, 2013 at 11:14AM     
Daniel Dionne Designs llc
I feel like either is a good option and would look great. I would recommend that you base the decision on function. How much is this area used for food prep and how messy are the cooks.....? Bead board will not have as much longevity in most cases because it will be varnished or polyurethaned and these surfaces will eventually become gummy and break down with the repeated cleaning you would expect in a kitchen. Some bead boards will have a vinyl outer layer, making them ideal for regular wipe downs. Obviously, tile is a much more durable and more permanently sealed material. Form FOLLOWS function, always. Good luck!
June 19, 2013 at 7:19AM     
I agree with Mark, but should you sway to tile, don't overlook the white subway tile (my personal fav) :)
June 19, 2013 at 7:22AM     
cotchett
Here's my sister's kitchen...it's gorgeous. Agree the countertops are a big component in the design.
June 19, 2013 at 7:27AM   
berginalexandra
I think you have a great color palette to work with and either will be great :) What is the theme of your kitchen accessories/decor? I think that will help narrow down your design decision. I can see the beadboard being more traditional or country/chic, while a neutral tile could work in a traditional way or something like a subway or bright penny tile will read modern. Oh the possibilities!
June 19, 2013 at 7:30AM     
hadrahana
the practical issues relating to keeping beadboard clean have already been mentioned and should not be underrated :) depends on how busy you are with other stuff...
June 19, 2013 at 7:52AM     
sumer65
Here is mine
June 19, 2013 at 8:36AM     
Glass Tile Store
I agree with hadrahana about the upkeep for the beadboard. It would look nice but will also be quite high maintainance. The travertine suggestion works for me. Alternatively, I also think this would look great on your kitchen http://www.glasstilestore.com/collection/stone-mosaics/glass-slate-tiles/geological-diamond-multicolor-slate-bronze-glass-tiles-2x3.html
June 20, 2013 at 10:38AM     
Easily cleanable tiny narrow dark corridor
Hi any ideas on colours to lighten up this very narrow...
Need help with the color of our sectional
Hi Fellow Houzzers!!! We decided that a sectional...
Is this "art" ok for a Bathroom wall for selling a house?
I have a picture I'm thinking of hanging in my bathroom,...
Curtain problems
Having problem choosing a curtain color... Don't want...