Front entry sitting room
Nick Judson
We just purchased a home. As you walk in there is a small sitting area. It has a small bay window. Neutral tan walls. Neutral tan carpet. I have an eggplant purple couch and a green chair I was hoping to somehow use together... But how?? This is a picture of the chair. It's much "greener" than it appears. There is also a picture of the room. I don't have a picture of the purple couch. I'm willing to do any paint jobs. I'm jut not design-savy to know how to put these pieces together, if they even CAN be together. I love the clean crisp white look that seems popular, BUT I have two children under 2.5.... My husband has vetoed white. I also love patterns and stenciled walls (too much for walking right into the house??).
Oh, I love purple and green together. Hard to tell without seeing the actual purple and green in the room, but here is some inspiration:
Modern is Modern Again in Portola Valley
living room
June 17, 2013 at 9:44PM     
chayasufrin
Purple and green def go together. As to your question if a stenciled wall is too much, not at all. Perhaps paint the wall behind the purple couch in a pale green and then stencil a design in the same color, but use a metallic paint, so it's subtle but still effective. You can tie the two together by adding in some throw pillows. And maybe use off white as your neutral.
June 17, 2013 at 10:41PM     
Royal design stencils has some great modern ones. i like the african ones, but you might like something more mid century. Purple and green definitely read modern - love the chartreuse chair accents above, but it can also be very soothing cottage. I think one trick is to find a great fabric that ties the two together and expresses your intent - even if only used for pillows, or drapery.

Look at this - http://calicohome.com/product/designer+fabrics+for+the+home/shop+fabrics+by+color/purple/oslo+amethyst.do
modern but with a nod to the cottage style of this room. Imagine a window seat cushion cut to fit the bay covered in this. Paint the walls the taupe background of the fabric which will help tie in the carpet tone and leave the ivory trim as contrast. Add a few chartreuse art and object elements - the chair will fit right in but it won't be a purple and green room.
June 17, 2013 at 11:33PM     
Diane Kremer, ASID CID
May I ask a question? What prevents you from calling a local design professional for a 3 hour visit to you home to help you make your space the best it can be?
June 23, 2013 at 8:37AM     
misawas156c
I agree with Diane Kremer. I cannot understand why most of the people who post on this site do not call in an expert instead of toiling over what to do, wasting a lot of time and then come up short.. There are so many options and designers have better access to products and knowledge of what works. Consulting a designer works!
June 23, 2013 at 9:14AM   
amhow
Maybe a lot of people don't have the money for a professional consult. That what this site is for. A very pale purple wall with some green accents would be nice. I would go with a paint that is "kid resistant". They make them now.
June 23, 2013 at 9:21AM   
collettec
The combo sounds great together. I would consider going with a neutral wall color, possibly more like a bisque color. Gold would be another color that would work well with those colors as an accent as well. I would add color through art, accents pieces and other decor.
Diane Kremer, an interesting question. I think you should consider posting it as a general "design dilemma" question - that way more people can see it and you can get a broader viewpoint from more people.
June 23, 2013 at 9:51AM   
Madeline
@Diane Kremer, @misawas156c. What prevents a lot of people could very well be the cost of the three-hour consult and the realization that no matter what the designer comes up with, they are out that money. (I have my own horror story along these lines but telling it is not necessary here). What would be the point of Houzz's Design Dilemma if everybody was able to phone up a designer and spring for three hours of their time? Besides which have you ever noticed that almost everyone who posts here states that their finances are already strained, that they are on a very tight budget, many because they just purchased their first home but sites like this and shows on HGTV make everyone feel they should start renovating immediately. I've read so many posts where the poster wishes to re-use or re-purpose in a new way the furniture, rugs etc. already in their possession and not have to purchase anything new "right now." I suppose you would say that a designer would help them do that. Maybe a designer would. But people on a tight budget don't have the money to gamble on this, I would think.
June 23, 2013 at 10:35AM     
Nick, the first pix is your new room. What are the next two pictures…I don't see a green chair?
June 23, 2013 at 10:39AM   
KShoa
Nick, any way you can replace the carpet with wood? I think once you do that, any color furniture will go well.
June 23, 2013 at 12:42PM     
Alex Judson
Thank you for all the comments! I am Nicks wife (who actually posted this) Alex. We have really appreciated all the input! To answer some questions:

Diane: I would LOVE if that was something we had the money and time for. My husband and I are both a first year teacher and police officer. We are young with two very young children. Money spent elsewhere is something we would prefer, especially adventures (and really everyday living) as a family. Doing things by ourselves, with the input of people willing to give it, allows us more finances to do so (and sometimes simply survive).

judyG: the green chair doesn't appear, from the picture to e very green. It's the chair you see closest to the picture taker.

KShoa: As much as we like wood, we probably will not be switching it just yet. I can see that as maybe a future change.

ColletteC: I LOVE gold! Good idea!

Thank you everyone else for your thoughts and advice. It's been great for getting our idea wheels churning.
June 23, 2013 at 4:39PM     
lntrcrts
If this is the front of the house as you walk into the door you want to make it inviting not startling. When you walk into your house or anyone's house you are suppose to wow them. Make sure everything flows together and not one piece is so overpowering.
June 23, 2013 at 4:46PM   
misawas156c
Design services are free at many furniture stores in my area.
June 24, 2013 at 5:39AM   
Keep it a front room or convert to kitchen/entry with sitting area?
This is the wall between the kitchen and front room....
Sitting Area above Front Entry
We have a space above our front entry, that is 6'x7'....
choosing a wall colour for a dark entry sitting room facing south east
The small dark room is the entry to the house. Has...
What to do with entry/ sitting room??
We have just moved into a new house. We are renting...
Prefab vs. Custom Quartz
Other than the price, is there a difference between...
Need help with curb appeal with a side facing house!!!
We need some ideas on how to improve the curb appeal...
Mirrors next to tv?
Hi, there was an empty space next to my tv but I found...
You spilled WHAT? WHERE?
I'm always horrified at the notion of spilling something...
Brick bungalow begging for a worthy colour scheme.
As you can see from my attached photo, I have a redish...