Too dark fondo
ruthkaufmanJune 18, 2013
I have dark floors open concept condo and tall windows with very little sunlight. My cupboards are cream, my furniture walnut and off whites. It he furniture is expensive but it looks dull and boring. Depressing. I hoped it would have been my dream. It's not. Suggestions
A bright colored area rug? Mirrored tables to throw the light around? Plenty of lamps/floor lamps? Please post some pictures!
3 Likes    Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 4:49AM
ruthkaufman
I
    Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 5:10AM
ruthkaufman
I need hall pieces.
    Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 5:15AM
Wow, I would LOVE to live here! Beautiful! I'm not sure what your budget is, but here are a few ideas. I would lose all the dark wood furniture - end tables, dining table/chairs, even the lamp bases are dark. Consider a glass top dining table with light wood chairs, a floor lamp by the chair in front of the window, even lighter drapes would be great. Change the black shades on the buffet lamps to white or off-white; even a patterned shade would be great.

The art above your sofa is nice but seems a little less sophisticated than the rest of your décor, when you have the budget you might want to either replace or even frame the art.
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 5:17AM
ruthkaufman
I would love to Chang the furniture but its really expensive. Lamps art revovering(was just done) are an option. I need a hall piece and mirror. It's 5 ft wide. The drapes are bronze silk. I keep them open. I can frame the tulips, I love them or put them somewhere else. I made huge costly mistakes.
    Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 5:24AM
ruthkaufman
I have very little plugs. Suggestions for hall piece and lamps. Maybe brighter fixture
    Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 5:35AM
architects fulton + salomon
So American!! Put everything on e-bay, leave the floor dark, paint all the surfaces grey-white (not cream white), then spend a day at IKEA, buy anything that appeals, and you will have a great and different well designed home. Some amazing ideas on www.containerarchitecure.co (not com)_
    Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 5:40AM
ruthkaufman
My furniture is very expensive not an option.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 5:43AM
architects fulton etc. - I can see that you are new to Houzz so I will be kind. It's rarely a good idea to start your post by insulting American's or anyone for that matter. I've read the comments you've left on other dilemmas, and while you may be trying to be funny the written word has no tone, and your comments are coming across as rude and sarcastic.
5 Likes    Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 5:47AM
ruthkaufman
Thanks anymore suggestions? How about a beautiful mirror over piece. Would bright pillows work?
    Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 6:02AM
nasmijati
Do any of the hall pieces or mirrors in the above posts by mforr look like possibilities for you?
    Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 6:05AM
ruthkaufman
I don't mind spending for a new pieces that could make a difference. Accessories etc. I wasted so much money. Hope I can pull it together
    Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 6:05AM
ruthkaufman
No they don't
    Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 6:06AM
nasmijati
@ruthkaufman. Please tell me more about what you mean when you say mirror over piece.
    Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 6:06AM
ruthkaufman
I thought a beautiful console and mirror above. I have a linen light fixture perhaps I need a brighter one. These I can change. Getting rid of dining room stuff not an option. Open to everything else. I would recover add carpets etc. it's quite sophisticated. But boring and dark
    Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 6:13AM
nasmijati
@ruthkaufman. I looked at the photos you posted of your lovely furnishings. To ME, they seem Traditional. Some people would probably say Transitional.

Have you looked in Houzz Products for mirrors or hall pieces? Click on Houzz Products. Scroll down to the item category you are wanting. At the top of the screen will be a selection box that says "Style." Click. Scroll down to Traditional or Transitional. Click. You can save your favorite photos in your own Ideabook. Just click on the photo, and there will be information across the bottom of the screen. You can make an Ideabook for mirrors and another for hall pieces. After you have collected about twenty photos in each category, you will notice a trend. Then you can refine your choices based on the furnishings you already have.

IMPORTANT. Save ALL photos that catch your eye/attention. It is impossible to find a specific photo on Houzz unless you have the photo number. It is easy to delete a photo from an Ideabook.
    Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 6:16AM
ruthkaufman
Thanks. Anyone have dark floors and very little sunlight
    Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 6:20AM
nasmijati
@ruthkaufman. You have mentioned "boring" more than once.

I suggest that you get a piece of paper and something to write with. As fast as you can, write down every exciting thing you can think of. Perhaps it is a sport, a parade or festival, a meteor shower.... On another piece of paper, write down things you are passionate about. It could be gardening, saving wild animal habitat, anything. This exercise will give you a starting point when thinking about colors for accessories and art pieces based on what YOU think is exciting and interesting.
    Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 6:27AM
ruthkaufman
I don't need it to be economical as I want something's that are new and beautiful. Not ridiculous but too match the rest of the space. Although dark I want to make the place happy to walk into. I probably won't move did a major Reno and needed lots of help.
    Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 6:30AM
Linda
Yes, this dilemma is "Very American" yep, recognize a problem, know that there are many Americans who have wonderful ideas and generous with their efforts to help a person in need of a new perspective. How American it is to want to work with existing high quality furnishings and not replace everything with mass produced, cheap enough to buy two, items made from wood scraps and particle board in some low cost third world country.
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 7:00AM
Lisa Studio Interior Design
Add plenty of recess light, table lamps and floor lamp. wall sconces are a lovely way to decorate your wall and add a different layer of light in your room. Your décor need more color too! You could change your pillows, rug, paint your walls. Try to bring some warm earth ton with enough yellow in it to bring some life and sun into the room. since you have red artwork and chair in the kitchen area it will be a good match. The kitchen wall should have a different color with more contrast with your white cabinet. Whatever color you will select don t use a pastel since having contrast with the white cabinet will be a good idea. If you have plenty of light in kitchen it will be fine. Whatever color you choose, have it somewhere else (pillows, kitchen towels and area rugs, accessories...) if you do a earth ton with a yellow ton on it and since you already have some redish ton in your décor; you could now play with a green ton. The same green could be splash on a accent wall elsewhere in the LR or DR. or you could have a cool wallpaper with green in it. Make sure your rugs are with a light background to bring contrast with your dark floor and stay in your palette. I will change your artwork above the sofa and find something more appropriate with your interior. You could maybe display the artworks with the tulips somewhere else?
    Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 7:10AM
ruthkaufman
The carpet is a light Persian carpet also an expensive mistake. The kitchen cabinets are cream. The backsplash is caramel glass tiles. I'm open to change them. How about entry table mirror lamps fixture? Thank you
    Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 7:19AM
sstarr93
I would love to see the over-the-sofa art in the kitchen if there is space; it's so bright and cheery!
You have some great pieces, I particularly like your sofa with its matching chair. If you work with a local designer, I believe you could take what you have, rearrange it, perhaps add a few smaller touches, and have a terrific result!
    Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 7:29AM
I don't think your Persian carpet is a mistake! On my monitor it looks like it goes well with your sofa and chair. If anything, I would replace the coffee table with one that has more substantial wooden legs. [houzz=
]
1 Like    Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 7:31AM
Lisa Studio Interior Design
I agree with having the artwork over the sofa in the kitchen for example. Furniture is fine and yes...have a designer!
    Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 7:31AM
ruthkaufman
Hope so! I love those tulips. No room in kitchen. Maybe stacked only existing wall separating living room and dining room.
    Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 7:32AM
Lisa Studio Interior Design
Cocktail table with a glass top is fine but the style is wrong. I will update it with a more transitional piece. About the rug it is not bad but does not had anything to the room.
    Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 7:34AM
ruthkaufman
I don't think I need more dark wood for coffee table. I would recover the bergere chairs they were wrong but expensive as well. What was I thinking? Big job guess I thought it was beautiful. So I was told.
    Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 7:35AM
ruthkaufman
I have been sick and spend a lot of time home. Everything was redone. I will get help for this hopefully
    Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 7:38AM
Judy M
I don't know what you are seeing but I see so many nice things about your space.

I would explore having recessed lights added to living room ceiling.
I see no need to change your furniture, if it feels dark adding overhead lighting can make a big difference.

As mentioned, your tulip art (while very pretty) is too casual for the room. One large piece of art above the sofa would be better, as another poster suggested in photo.
A small table between the 2 chairs would be nice.

Beautiful kitchen, you've made very nice choices.
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 7:49AM
Still need photos of the condo.
    Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 7:50AM
Judy M
I don't know your condo rules, but a LITTLE pruning to the tree outside the window, will let in more light.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 7:51AM
olldroo
Bobbi/Linda - I've seen that comment on other posts - must have shares in Ikea.

ruthkaufman - I'm having problems picturing just why your rooms are boring, they don't look ill lit, and you have certainly chosen beautiful furnishings. However, if the rooms are not gettting sunlight, then this could be the cause of your boring and depressing feelings, and the best way around that is with colour. Greys, creams and whites can look extremely boring and depressing in a room devoid of sunshine, so I would be looking at warmer colours or ones that can cheer your rooms. .

Given your furniture is new and expensive, then replacing that is out of the question but accessorising or repainting isn't. I can't see all the walls in your condo, but would you consider something like these photos. A softer shade to your lounge flower pictures should look great, and leave the pictures as they are. I would also add some lime green to the cushions you already have. I love the white urns you have in the kitchen, but do you have somewhere else to use them and add some lime green touches there too and an indoor plant in lieu of the flowers. In your dining room, an ornate wallpaper on the wall shown would give your room a dramatic lift.

ruthkaufman
Very nice. Can't cut trees although when you walk in the big windows show gorgeous colours of flowers and trees.
    Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 7:59AM
sstarr93
You could have your coffee table repainted in a light tone that would harmonize with your very nice rug and sofa, which would lighten the space and make it more current:
    Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 8:02AM
Your home is very nice. I am seeing what Judy M is seeing…the art. Too casual and putting too much color in one spot. The rug is stunningly traditional. Compliment it more with different pillows.

The one accessory I think does not "go" is the Venetian mirror over the side board with the lamps.
    Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 8:05AM
ruthkaufman
I love the mirror and lamps. I guess I need a designer
    Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 8:10AM
Lisa Studio Interior Design
Your mirror is fine. I think just a wall accent painted a different color like the kitchen area as we talk about will be great. What you condo is missing is energy that can be bring with better color palette and light! If you feel it needs something that s what it is, The furniture are fine. The rug could stay too....work with a color consultant if needed.
    Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 8:11AM
Lisa Studio Interior Design
I am a color expert and it is easy to select when you are with the client in their space and understanding client s lifestyle, taste and needs but also personality. Certain colors could be delight with the décor but not with your personality. I strongly believe that all you really need is change your colors on the walls, add different pillows on your sofa and new artwork that will work with the new palette you choose. It will be perfect! New energy will fill the room.
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 8:15AM
I, too, love the mirror and the lamps…just not together.

I , too, think that a designer may be your best solution. Despite your photos, we are not really seeing your home as you do.
    Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 8:19AM
sstarr93
Your Bergere chairs are beautiful, but the covering should be updated. Here's the look in a strong taupe, which would complement your rug and sofa:
    Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 8:22AM
michigammemom
ruthkaufman, your elegant traditional furnishings look to be of high quality. I agree with several comments that the art canvases seem too casual for your space. I particularly enjoy the the colors shown in your plaid slipper chair. You might consider a red lacquer hall table to add the drama you are looking for.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 8:26AM
ruthkaufman
That's a nice idea. I still love the lamps.
    Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 8:36AM
ruthkaufman
I have brass on the pulls on the sideboard.
    Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 8:37AM
ruthkaufman
I agree with Lisa I need colour. I never had a house that was so dull. I tried to play it safe. I guess my tulips really are me! I came from a 3000 sq ft home to a 1500 sq ft condo. I tried
    Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 8:41AM
Lisa Studio Interior Design
If the tulip are you, great...it show you need something else than boring tons! Go for more colors...could possibly help with more pic and phone call one on one. Good luck. I guess we came to a conclusion.
    Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 8:45AM
ruthkaufman
Thanks. I really love colour. I had a gorgeous home with reds and golds but tried to as I said play it safe. Hopefully I can revive it. Everyone that comes in says its gorgeous. I think it looks like a model suite. I hate it.
    Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 8:48AM
Judy M
Downsizing is not easy, we tend to bring all the things we love and finding room in new place can be challenging. How long have you been in this condo? You might need more time to adjust to different space.

All these comments are made without seeing the space as a whole, so take them with that in mind.

Keep the lamps and tulips you love, make small changes and sit back and re-evaluate.

If you had more color previously, maybe you thought a change from color would be a good thing and now you miss the color, ok, you can add that. No need to rush.

Re-read all the helpful comments and take time to think about them and use the ones that feel right for you, it's your home.
    Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 8:48AM
olldroo
ruthkaufman - reading your replies here - and it is nice to find a poster who does make comments on suggestions - I can't help but wonder if you have decorated your condo for YOU and what YOU want, YOU enjoy and YOU like or have you tried to put your rooms together according to photos you have seen that you think are designer correct and will impress. I'm sorry if that sounds a little harsh, but I just get a feeling you have not been true to YOU and this is why you are so out of sync with your decisions. Of course if you haven't been well, and I am sorry to hear that, that can cloud your judgement too.

When you have invested so much money in this project, maybe a professional designer would be the way to go, to help you pull everything together, but before you do that, please take time to really think just what you want to achieve and what in your heart you want to live with, otherwise even a designer won't satisfy you.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 8:50AM
ruthkaufman
Been Hereford 3 years. It has been a difficult 3 years as I said home a lot. Papered my powder room coral love it.
    Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 8:51AM
armygirl1987
I think everyone has been nice and going around in circle trying to help you and granted that you respond, but I have yet to see you take any of the ideas or suggestions that is coming your way. As Eztia said, do you really know what you want and until you know that you will be going around in circles. If you cannot make the decision then take the time and ask for help. If you can afford an update and looking at the furniture, it is of my opinion that you can probably afford a consultation.
3 Likes    Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 9:00AM
ruthkaufman
I will call a designer. Thanks. I will get colour and do things that will make i me happy. Well said
3 Likes    Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 9:03AM
michigammemom
Make some small inexpensive changes to add some color and life to your condo. Simply switching out your throw pillows would make a world of difference. Also would you consider hanging the art with the two urns in place of the dining room mirror? The painting would add color to the room and I like the bronze frame with the finish on your buffet lamps.
    Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 9:08AM
ruthkaufman
Great idea. Maybe hanging mirror in hallway?
    Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 9:11AM
olldroo
Ruth, I think you just hit the nail on the head - you love your Coral power room, you obviously need more colour in your life and cheerful colour at that, especially when you have been ill. Nothing like greens, oranges and yellows to cheer. Go for it and good luck.
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 9:19AM
armygirl1987
You have a beautiful kitchen, house and you just need cohesion so that it all come together. My favorite color is orange so my house is designed around that color.
    Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 9:29AM
Sigrid
What struck me is that you have very neutral furniture with neutral walls of similar tones. I'd recommend making the walls either a few shades darker (and maybe less neutral ,go with coral, it you love it). Or maybe doing one saturated accent wall. I think against the right wall, your furniture would be great.

Here's a white sofa in a neutral room that shows what I mean. [houzz=
]
    Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 9:59AM
ruthkaufman
Thanks so much.
    Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 7:45PM
ruthkaufman
Here's my powder room
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 7:52PM
Merry McMahon
It looks like a beautiful place and I think you have great pieces. I think what you may not be liking is all the neutrals. I LOVE the red print chair. If you bring in some beautiful coordinating fabrics for pillows, covering dining room chairs, colorful accessories in the kitchen, etc I believe you might accomplish your goal. Don't go to matchy matchy with the fabrics as it makes more of a high-end impact if they compliment each other but not match.
    Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 8:10PM
ruthkaufman
I have called designer. I think I have some great ideas.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 8:39PM
olldroo
Do post the after photos won't you.
    Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 9:46PM
armygirl1987
Good for you, let us see the end results.
    Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 9:46PM
ruthkaufman
I hope the de orator will help me put it all together with my taste. I usually I'm the type to listen. I will think first and if it doesn't feel right wait!
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 5:00AM
ruthkaufman
Lisa just looked at your site I don't think we live in the same city.?
1 Like    Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 5:10AM
Patsy Martin
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but you sound depressed. Have you recently had a loss that has nothing to do with decorating?
    Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 8:40AM
ruthkaufman
Been very sick. It is depressing. So home a lot you are very intuitive. Beyond that I still need colour in my life. Always like a pretty home.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 9:02AM
ruthkaufman
How do I get off this discussion please
1 Like    Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 11:04AM
michigammemom
ruthkaufman, these discussion threads can take on a life of there own and become overwhelming. Just click the green "switch off notifications" message at the very bottom of this page. You also need not continue to respond. Good luck.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 11:20AM
Patsy Martin
Ruth, I'm so very sorry. I am an old psych nurse and have had sorrows of my own. You just have such a lovely home and are so unsatisfied with it. I meant you no harm.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 1:28PM
What would you hang over this fireplace? How to arrange furniture?
I haven't been to the furniture store yet because I...
Julie Smith
How did I do?
How did I do on this bathroom design? I am not a professional,...
cyclegal1
Entryway table needs pizazz
Recently purchased a lovely entryway table. Looking...
washjanet1
side table advice
Hi there! I'm looking for side tables that would blend...
Sarah
How do I decorate this wall?
I need help decorating the wall in our TV room. Any...
ahunt09