What would you do with 3000-5000$ ?
potatomasher
We want something more contemporary, but are on a limited budget (3k-5k$). Should we replace the cabinet panels with real wooden doors (and relaminate the rest) ? Change the counter & backsplash only ? What about the floor tiles ? Thanks in advance !
suzanne_m
I would start with floor then paint cabinets then knobs then backsplash and would do counter top if there is money left.
June 18, 2013 at 7:02pm   
Stanton Designs-online design services
Well let's start with what don't you like about your kitchen?
June 18, 2013 at 7:03pm     
Dawn Chamberlain
Focus on replacing the countertops, backsplash, floor tile and cabinet hardware. You can paint the cabinets and the appliances are great. Start with a countertop you love and pull the new colors from the countertop.
June 18, 2013 at 7:05pm     
julielen
hmmm, I'd consider updating the back splash and maybe counter, I can't really see it, some new handles, and a new light fixture above table. Or, i'd live with it as is and get myself a nice watch or piece of jewelry.
June 18, 2013 at 7:05pm   
potatomasher
@Stanton Designs - Two problems with our kitchen. (1) The materials are kind of cheap (particle board cabinets, ceramic tile counter, etc) and (2) the color scheme gives it a rustic / countryside feel. I would rather have a modern / contemporary kitchen. Unfortunately, our budget means we are limited when dealing with the "cheapness" of the material, though given the small counter space (21pi^2) moving to granit / quartz counter-top would be feasible. The question then is... does it make sense to have a nice countertop with particle board cabinets ? Regarding the color scheme, I also feel constrained by the current brown / orange-ish tints. If I only change one or two components in the kitchen, I'm still tied to the original colors in some way.

As first time home-buyer and a non-artsy person, this feels like one big complicated puzzle !
June 18, 2013 at 7:15pm   
moresparkly
I would: paint cabinets, replace counter and pulls-i like the bachsplash and floor! Maybe incorporate some blue to offset it-rug? Shade?
June 18, 2013 at 7:22pm   
julielen
i think you should price out a few things you want. I know in my area, the floor alone would be about $3k, then the stone or solid surface counter easily another $1200, so not much left over. And figure, a new counter means paying a plumber to reset your sink and faucet. And if the backsplash tile doesn't come down easily, then you have to call someone and it's not a DIY project. Your cheapest option is paint on the cabinets, new knobs, hopefully a DIY backsplash and a counter top. I think if you might be redoing the entire thing down the road, don't spend $3-5k now. I think putting the same color as the yellowish walls above the window and cabinets and a simple window treatment would help a bit too.
June 18, 2013 at 7:23pm     
Carolyn C. Interior Decorator, Brampton, ON.
I think julielen has hit the nail on the head. If you paint the cabinets and use longer pulls and replace the backsplash with something more current it could look great. You could consider a shade of gray from the floor for the cabinets maybe a bit darker on the bottom cabinets and lighter for the full height cabinets and uppers. That would look really nice with the s/s appliances and make the kitchen seem larger. If you can't afford stone counters there are some great stone looking laminates out there that would really make a difference in the finished look.

Good luck.
June 18, 2013 at 7:35pm     
einportlandor
Use the money to start a kitchen remodel fund. A little paint, maybe some inexpensive hardware and a couple of accessories can get you through until you have the cash to have the kitchen you want. Don't spend money trying to doll up cheap finishes that you'll never really love. It will be worth the wait.
June 18, 2013 at 9:29pm     
nwduck
How long do you plan to stay? What are customary finishes in your home's neighborhood? You don't necessarily want to over-improve. If appropriate, keep saving and do what you like later. If you hate hate hate it, you could easily re-do the countertops in an interesting laminate (there are great ones out there now) and replace the tile backsplash. Simple removal and tiling is possible on a DIY basis. Sign up for a class at your local home improvement store to see if this is something you feel you could do without it looking horrid, then decide.
June 18, 2013 at 11:01pm     
Jayme H.
Agree with nwduck on....how long r you planning to stay, and beware to not overimprove...The cabinets appear in good condition...Maybe repaint those..new counters/back splash and if enough..floors to match dining area? And how large is the sink? It looks small...I would put in a larger one. (And I would prob. not install granite counters in a kitchen with cheaper cabinets unless I felt I could recoup the investment).
June 18, 2013 at 11:24pm     
kathleen MK
It's a big puzzle even for us arty types. There are lots of on line resources for redoing those cabinets but it is lots of work to do right. Check better homes and garden website. Sleek white tile or glass backsplash and new countertops should fit in your budget if you DIY the tile. Those changes will make the biggest impact I think. Get countertop that goes with the floor and the backsplash tile.You could try deepening the cabinet's color with those minwax glazes that are stain and polyurethane. Do the inside of a door trying A color like your table. Check a habitat for Humanity ReStore or surplus store and you might find cabinets in your budget. Good luck.
June 18, 2013 at 11:32pm   
jamie0129
Definitely spend money on counters backsplash and floors
June 19, 2013 at 12:19am   
Fred S
"Our condo will be going on the market shortly so mass appeal is important here" You will never guess what other people want, so just clean it up and let the next owner decide for themselves.
June 19, 2013 at 12:55am   
Molika Oum
Check out http://www.xsstudio.net/
My vote is backsplash and cabinet knobs
June 19, 2013 at 1:01am     
Jane Fowler
Paint the cabinets, replace the pulls, replace sink, and if reasonable upgrade the countertops. Think "restore" options...not sure where you are, but look for the building salvage places, the Habitat for Humanity restore, etc. I redid our entire powder room, and used flooring and vanity/sink form the HFH restore!! Less than 100 bucks. Only the medicine chest and light fixtures, and faucets were new.
June 19, 2013 at 2:35am   
intoit
Paint the cabinets and update hardware. I have painted laminate cabinets and it worked well. The light fixture over the dinning table needs to be updated too. After that I would consider changing out the backsplash and putting in new countertops. I don't think a new floor is in the budget at this time.
June 19, 2013 at 3:44am   
If you do decide to paint your cabinets consider using Benjamin Moore Cabinet Coat or Aura. Try some test applications first to get the feel of the paint. I did a cabinet with Cabinet Coat and put the doors flat on a table and rolled the paint on. It floats beautifully into itself and give a very nice look and feel to the wood. A few coats should make your existing doors look more expensive. It will take a bit of time and effort but the end result could surprise you in a very good way. Make sure when filling the one hole your will need to fill on each door to allow you to put on nice long pulls that you sand the filler nice and flush with the door so it's not visible later.

Good luck.
June 19, 2013 at 6:50am     
What color should I paint this small bedroom?
Main floor is getting painted next week. Mostly SW...
French limestone fireplace
Hello everyone :) I need some help about the fireplace.......
Advice Needed! Smaller couch or 2 chairs?
I plan to replace the white couch because it is too...
advice on bathroom flooring
Is travertine okay to use on a bathroom floor? Can...