Front landscape needs refreshing
Rachael
I don't like pruning the tall shrubs, but I don't know what else to put there. Also, the entire front is blah looking. Suggestions, please.
fscarlett
How about some shade loving annuals to bring in some color now while you research shade perennials to plant either now or in the fall? Some ground cover like ajuga or sweet woodruff would add color in the spring and eliminate the need for weeding. A variety of hostas, astilbe, bleeding heart, jacob's ladder work well in shade. You didn't say your zone.
June 18, 2013 at 7:04pm     
Ginkgo Leaf Studio
Rachael, I agree that knowing where you live would help with plant suggestions. Also which direction does this side of your house face and how much, if any, sun does it get?
June 18, 2013 at 7:09pm     
I would take out (relocate) all the bushes by the front door, add porch rails and stain the concrete.
June 18, 2013 at 7:14pm     
Judith Taylor Designs
I would like to see you fill in with some perennials in front of those leggy tall shrubs. It looks too thin there and will appear more lush. I don't know your climate but would rhododendrons work for your site? The look would be classic.
June 18, 2013 at 7:14pm     
Rachael
I'm in the mixed-humid zone. I'm northern Georgia.
June 18, 2013 at 7:33pm   
Rachael
My house faces the North. It gets sun in the late afternoon.
June 18, 2013 at 7:35pm   
HI -- Take out all the foliage that is up and over the windows . Leave the tall tree .Check with your local garden center for perennials that will stay below the windows and fill in some spaces with annuals . Add some wrought iron rails to the stairs .You need a decorative pediment over the front door with some pilaster side trim on each side of the entrance . Also the front windows would look better with some molding headers . And some larger hanging wrought iron lantern light fixtures on each side of the entrance . Put in some landscape lighting and an up light for the big tree . I think this will make the house the best one on the block !
June 18, 2013 at 7:52pm     
mcbriec
Shrubs should be removed since they simply cover up the architecture of your home. I would not waste time trying to relocate them as the time and effort are not worth the result of stressed, slow-to-recover plants.

Late afternoon sun areas are a garden designer's worst nightmare as there is not enough sun for full sun plants and part shade plants hate the heat from late afternoon sun. I would strongly recommend a professional to assist you in plant choices for your climate and in that sun situation.

The steps would be much more charming with railings and shrubs to cover the sides of the steps.
June 18, 2013 at 7:58pm     
kathleen MK
We had our windows covered by over grown yaupon hollies like that and ripped them out with great effort. Then I replaced them with lower growing azaleas. The Encore everblooming ones bloom fall and spring. They work in my north facing Texas yard so they will do in Georgia too. You can add bulbs to bloom in early spring before the trees are fully leafed out.
June 18, 2013 at 8:07pm     
If you decide not to relocate them in your yard, you could offer them free on Craigslist, the recipient could remove them. You- free labor, them- free plants. Some ot the best growing plants in my yard were stressed, slow -to- recover found on Craigslist. My home is a refuge for unwanted perenials lol
June 18, 2013 at 8:07pm   
mcbriec
Hey Margo. Love your recycling ethic! Perennials are much better bets for recycling than shrubs which typically languish in large and ugly splendor for oodles of time. I rescue tons of animals but am a total plant Nazi!
June 18, 2013 at 8:44pm     
indoorimages
Hello
Put some new self watering modern planters.
June 20, 2013 at 10:51am   
Schultz Ornamental Iron
A nice iron railing would defiantly dress up the front steps. We make custom railings with any design you want inside it. Also all our railings are powder coated. Powder coat not only lasts a lot longer before rusting, but it also gives you any color to pick from. Just a tip for you. Hope it helps. You can get some ideas maybe off our page if you want to check it out. Or feel free to ask any questions
June 23, 2013 at 9:04am   
Red Berm
I would suggest adding a water feature to the front to add some interest and remove the straight line of the planter. It would be a more graceful transition if the planter started at the corner of the walk and arced around the house.
June 23, 2013 at 5:45pm   
Home needs a refresh! paint, materials, landscaping advice
I like the craftsman style look.. but am wanting suggestions....
Florida Coastal Ranch - needs fun accent paint front door refresh
We are buying this 1963 home and want to create a fun,...
Need Help: Add Curb Appeal, Refresh the Front Yard
We just moved into a cute brick house that needs some...
Need Help with Front Yard Landscaping or Front Porch Design
How can I increase curb appeal? Do I need to alter...
Need help with updating landscaping in front and side of house.
We would like to update the front of our house without...
Need Help! Cabinet help!
Hello. We are currently customizing a house we bought....
Boxing in waste pipe
Here is my new en suite, all ready for sanitary ware...
Need help with this guest room
This room is very small. I had the head board made...
Hue suggestion?
When we choose our stone we thought we'd do our hardy...
How do I hide these ugly speakers?!
These speakers ruin the aesthetics of the room, how...