Dark grey floors, blue butterfly granite, maple cabinets- ideas for paint and backsplash colors/types?
Cil Bullard
I am redoing on a strict budget, and already have my tile and granite(due to deals from going-out-of-business companies). The granite is blue butterfly, which is like verde butterfly only with grey/blue flashes instead of dark green. The tile is a mid to dark grey porcelain. I will attach a pic(please excuse the crappiness of the photographer-me!) of one side of my kitchen to show you the countertop(slab on top), and cabinets. I have mixed stainless and white appliances/sink.
This room extends from my dining room, and any paint color will need to be carried thru just like the floor will be. I have been picturing backpainted glass backsplashes in pale watery blue/green, with red accents(vintage mixer, phone, etc)....
Change cabinet knobs to brushed nickel. No gold anywhere. Backsplash a combo of color in granite and white. Appl should match . So slowly replace with stainless. For walls a blue gray. I like pewter by Ben Moore. I would stay in blue tones even colbolt in accessories .
June 19, 2013 at 10:51am   
Flooring slate in darker colors with very dark grout. There are some beautiful ones in greens gray black orange mix. Home Depot good place to buy not expensive.
June 19, 2013 at 10:53am   
JDM Countertops, Inc.
I definitely like the idea of glass back splash to add some depth, and tie all your colors together. Glass tile has come way down in price by comparison to when it first became popular in the industry. You should be able to find some reasonably priced and beautiful glass tile. I think even adding a touch of warmth in the mosaic would help to bring in the cabinets.

]
June 19, 2013 at 11:04am     
Cil Bullard
I will post a couple of photoshop trials- one of a stacked slate, and one of a pale watery mosaic.
June 19, 2013 at 11:56am     
Cil Bullard
I already have my stainless pulls, apron sink, and faucet picked out...
June 19, 2013 at 11:57am     
13lesley
I did the glass tile backsplash and love it. Put in Silestone and got a deal because it was a discontinued color!!
June 19, 2013 at 12:39pm   
houseatthelake
I am not sure what color your countertop is. Does it have some blue in it? If it were my kitchen I would paint the cabinets white and add dark knobs like oil rubbed bronze. I would do a backsplash with white subway tile possibly with grey grout. If the main parts of your kitchen are neutral in color you can easily change other things like wall paint, curtains, etc. I would also get rid of your valance and buy some woven blinds.
June 19, 2013 at 12:50pm   
drsaginaw
PLEASE avoid glass back splash, every investor and his sister is using it to flip homes. It will really date your kitchen. I agree, though, you need to paint the cabinets white. Stay away from red also, its fine for a mixer or an accent piece you can change easily or hide away. Neutral paints on walls can be your pallet for art, just use a the same color in a washable semi-gloss for the backs plash/other areas in the kitchen.
June 19, 2013 at 3:54pm   
Valerie Turnell
I like the idea of painting the cabinets too! Will open up the dark kitchen. Use a light stone backsplash....glass will go out soon!!Tumbled marble is nice.
June 19, 2013 at 4:10pm   
JDM Countertops, Inc.
I have been in the stone and tile industry for almost 20 years and glass tile has been around for 15 of those. There are definite trends, and perhaps the way people use it will change, but I don't think glass tile will go out of style soon. Manufacturers do a good job of keeping the lines up-to-date. It's like saying porcelain tile will go out of style, which came onto the scene about the same time as glass (before that it was ceramic). Things do come and go, but in the end it's your space and I would do what you like.
June 19, 2013 at 4:42pm     
Valerie Turnell
I agree!
June 19, 2013 at 4:48pm   
sstarr
Here's the look with your cabinets painted white:
June 19, 2013 at 5:21pm     
sstarr
Then with dark grey flooring and pale blue/green wall:
June 19, 2013 at 5:40pm     
Dorita Chretien
Nice work. Even the old white dishwasher looks good. Like your taste of style. D
June 19, 2013 at 6:55pm     
elec
Love sstarr93 idea for dark floors and grout and white cabinets but i think White walls no question!
June 20, 2013 at 4:38am   
Cil Bullard
on the left side of the counter is a pillar that replaced a load-bearing wall. It runs from floor to ceiling, and the countertop will fit around it. If I go with a white cabinet, or a white glaze on my maple, should I do the pillar too?
June 20, 2013 at 5:47am   
sstarr
Yes, I think you should also paint the pillar. I should have done it in photoshop..
June 20, 2013 at 5:59am   
sstarr
Here's the pillar, painted:
June 20, 2013 at 6:07am     
Cil Bullard
played around with those- not sure I like whte cabinets with the rest of the house, including the dining room just past the pillar. How about a white antiqued tin ceiling tile backsplash?
June 20, 2013 at 6:08am   
Cil Bullard
this house. although 60 years old, has pretty custom woodwork throughout. The maple kitchen cabinets were made to match the rest of the woodwork before we bought it. We are installing under-cabinet lighting, to help pick up all the blue iridescence in the granite. A mixed marble/glass/stone sparkly backsplash would look great also...
June 20, 2013 at 6:12am     
Cil Bullard
I think I am sold on white cabinets. I will have to paint a couple of doors and the baseboard in the adjoining room, but I like it so much I am pretty set on it. Thanks, sstarr93!
June 20, 2013 at 6:19am     
sstarr
You're welcome, Cil Bullard! Post photos when you're done!
June 20, 2013 at 9:18am   
Is it possible to get a four piece bathroom in this space?
Hi, at the moment we have a situation where we want...
Great room is dark - should I paint ceiling?
My great room is large 15 X 20 but dark. My husband...
Round Foyer--Please Help! :)
The foyer in our home-to-be is round. The flooring,...
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
Cedar Vaulted Ceilings - need flooring advice!
We have a beautiful vaulted ceiling (stained cedar)...