Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimberly_hillegas

I've come a long way, but still need some fine tuning. Please help with wall behind sofa and tables!

K Hill
10 years ago
I appreciate all of your help and suggestions so much! I originally sought help trying to lighten up this dark family room without replacing my oddly colored sofas (they are tan with red and green threads -crate and barrel 'tussah jewel' - which were looking olive green)

I hired a color consultant and went with BM Putnam Ivory on family room walls, Grey Cashmere on the coffered ceiling and Mannequin Cream in the kitchen. We did find a new kitchen table, which I love and I recently repurposed and painted a large mirror for over that table.

I'd still like it to look a little more "pulled together", and I'm also considering some white bookshelves or built-ins on the wall behind the couch - I have a serious lack of storage space. Currently, the couch is about 20" off the wall.

I'm willing to replace any/all tables, and even hubby's recliner (but he'd want another...and it must face tv). Someday, I'll probably switch out sofa, ottoman and chair-and-a half for two matching linen slipcover-look couches, but I am not quite ready to let go of these yet.

Thank you again, in advance, for all your wonderful ideas!

Comments (14)

• Chenai Maguwah
    10 years ago
    This is very put together. I did not see the before pictures but great wall color. I wouldnt change a thing or add anything new. Be careful not to over decorate, thats when great work goes awry. Beside, the atmosphere with the mismatching couches creates a warm whimsical feel. Its not too Hotel glossy and it looks and feels like a home, especially with your husbands recliner.
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Looking very nice. Have you considered hanging the mirror vertically? It is not competing very well with the tall windows and height of the FP/TV unit visually. What are your thoughts on drapery or fabric roman shades? The window and French door are the only areas that look like they've been left out of the overall plan. Have you tried the floor lamp on the opposite side so it helps illuminate hubby's recliner for reading the paper? There is already plenty of light from the buffet lamps and window in the corner where it is.
  • felixgrantham
    10 years ago
    NIce room. Please raise the mirror to eye level. I like the twisty leg wood table. I'd replace the more modern side table with something in wood (even painted wood if you like). Have a glass topper cut to fit so it doesn't get ruined by wet glasses.

I'd get a plain fabric (maybe brown) to cover the lavender dog-bed pillow which sort of screams out from the corner.

One final picky observation - lampshades. I suggest for shades you go all white, all cream, or black & white or black & cream - but I"m not digging the combo of white & cream between the floor lamp and the candlestick lamps on the console.
  • Peter P.
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Very nice room! Please note that I am not a professional...

I would move the mirror and replace with something else, not just functionally but also visually mirrors are more appealing with a nice area of free space in front of it. It also brings attention to that area of the room especially with the two lights next to it. I think the same applies to shelves as far as spacing, though shelves have more leeway and might not attract the initial glance into the room.

Normally for living rooms, i like the idea of centralizing the attention towards the table, so putting a repurposed mirror over the table might be a grand idea if the color schemes blend... love the feel of the tree on the left side it mixes well with the wall colors.. agree with lamp shades matching light color

love your room and design!
  • Warren Mullins
    10 years ago
    nice observation you got there Felix. I guess you might need to replace your ceiling paint to something cream or that similar shade.
  • Rebecca Pando
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Great room. The ceiling is fabulous. I'd soften the room with roman shades (woven wood is my favorite) and inoperable panels for the window and door. Woven wood needn't be brown!
    K Hill thanked Rebecca Pando
  • K Hill
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I'm not sure why only this one image was posted, but here are a few others. I have all the lights on, because the colors don't photograph well. The buffet lamps have white shades and the arc lamp has rattan. The dog bed is brown. I'll try raising/rotating the mirror - its been bugging me. I thought maybe the frame is too dark. Rebecca, what do you mean by roman shades with inoperable panels? I was't going to cover the window or door because privacy is not an issue and they both open to a screened porch which blocks a lot of natural light. Hubby did get a little ikea jansjo reading light -I'm glad it blends in so that it's not noticable. Margo, I go back and forth with the pillows. I want the color and texture, but i want it to be inviting. Good suggestion. Thank you all for the positive feedback.
  • sherriewink
    10 years ago
    You need a bigger or taller piece above the couch. The room doesn't have a good point of interest, boring. Add a fun piece of artwork and build off of that. Pillows accessories etc.
    K Hill thanked sherriewink
  • K Hill
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    pamlally, it's crema marfil marble. Kind of boring, but the builder's options were limited.
  • PRO
    Whispar Design
    10 years ago
    You have done a beautiful job with your space! An accent cornice may be an option to consider for the stationary panels Rebecca mentioned to soften architectural windows. Here is a photo that illustrates this. Hope this helps.
    Accent Cornice Window Treatments · More Info
    K Hill thanked Whispar Design
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    You seem hesitant about the "inoperable/stationary" panel idea, but they won't reduce the light if done correctly. Decorative rod to put them at ceiling level, they should kiss the floor and actually hang so they just cover the side window frame, not the glass. A fabric or fiber roman shade under them can be raised or lowered, or you can actually just install a faux shade that is also stationary. It becomes window dressing, not light or privacy control. They'll actually cover more of the wall than the window, but will add a new level of visual completeness and will soften that side of your space, which is full of squares and rectangles.
    K Hill thanked decoenthusiaste
  • K Hill
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Got it on the panels! I was thinking you meant panels made of roman shades (???) Would something like this work? Pic from my dining room- they are high and just outside the window frame- the light wouldn't let me get the whole window. since the window and the door is not as tall, would I use the shade/cornice just above them? do I need to continue the panels into the breakfast nook? Thanks!

Margo, I took the rear couch pillows off so now there's plenty of room to sit with back support and still have the color and texture from the throw pillows. Good suggestion- now I'm not throwing them on the floor!
  • User
    9 years ago
    Can you push the large chair away from the rug some and rotate it toward the fireplace so the ottoman can be placed in front of it?
Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm