Needs lots of advice - lights, window covers
hanazair
Hi, we have a new house that we really like. We moved here from an apartment, so don't have a lot of furniture yet. We are slow with buying it, as everything I like is very expensive, so we buy a little bit at a time.

Here are my idea books to show the colors and style I like - http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/users/hanazair

Here are the area I'm trying to figure out next:

a) Kitchen breakfast area - I need to get something to cover the windows as afternoon sun is very strong and I'm concerned it will discolor the hardwood floor eventually. I like shutters, and I LOVE have panels and trims on the wall, but it is out of the budget for this year. What would you recommend to get in the meantime?

b) Breakfast area - I was trying to get the farm-style table in white, but couldn't find it anywhere. So I bought this one with the idea that eventually I will strip and repaint it white. I haven't gotten around to repainting it and right now this area is so blend. I need to make it less blend.

For the chair cushions - I was going to get white. Good idea or no?

Then I was thinking to put some art on the wall between the 2 narrow windows. I have some very beautiful botanical prints I found on the internet. I thought those will give me a splash of color on the walls so that the breakfast area doesn't look so blend. I like a lot of PotteryBarn frames, but I can't decide on the right style and size. I think these frames are great http://www.potterybarn.com/products/lee-gallery-frames/?pkey=cpicture-frames& , but not sure it'd go... I like that it has very nice modern, simple, but classic look. So I thought it might look really nice as it will add a bit of shiny surface to my otherwise very natural-looking and blend corner.

I just don't want it to look blend. Please let me know if you have any other thoughts or suggestions.

2) Kitchen island and breakfast lights. Right now I have these generic lights, which I am planning to replace.

I originally wanted to do bell-lights over the kitchen island, like you can see on one of the attached photos of a very expensive-looking kitchen. But I think those will be too big for my area. My other idea was to do these lights - 1512 Dolphin Terrace (night shots) - but my husband dislikes them as they look too-70-s for him.

What would you recommend? Also what finish should the lights have? And what about coordinating the style between the island lights and the one above the breakfast table (it is actually in a weird spot, not exactly above).

Btw, the height of the room is 10 feet.

Thank you! :)

lightrep
As far as lighting goes, check out this website. www.tjferrie.com the artist makes custom lighting and could create a fixture that would fit your space exactly. The attached could work nicely over your kitchen island.
0 Likes   June 19, 2013 at 4:31PM
Need advice for window covering for a very large bedroom window
I have a bedroom window that measures 138" width x...
Deb Aldred
Need advice about covering the light bulbs in a foyer light fixture
Seen from above, the light bulbs in the foyer chandelier...
skipperjack
Need advice for window coverings
Hi....we are moving into a new home and I would like...
sue6939
Need advice on wainscoting and window coverings
We are near the end of a major Reno of our little 60...
bpanich1
need advice on window coverings and kitchen table please
Hello, My living room and kitchen are connected and...
knoxnews
Should I do marble on the bottom of the floor?
This is master bedroom, the floor is hard wood, the...
sushigirl06
Please help me pair this throw pillow!
I am looking for a pair of pillows to go with this...
loveasunnybeachday
New Home, Old House - Master Bedroom Decorating Help Needed!
We just purchased a ranch-style house built in 1958....
ahunt09
kitchen help
We just remodeled out kitchen. Put in a black marble...
Liz Woodward
rredpenn