Entry way
vtag
June 19, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I had to add an extra rug to the bottom of my stairs so my dog wouldn't damage my wood floor, but I don't love the look. Any suggestions? Thank you
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Pomeroy House Interiors
How about putting a printed one at the base of the stairs and picking up the other two?
June 19, 2013 at 5:25pm     
txreynolds
Your floors too pretty to cover up with so many little rugs. How about a round or octagonal carpet at bottom of stairs, toss the three that you have and get a heavy duty mat for the outside of your front door?
June 19, 2013 at 5:29pm     
vtag
good ideas but still have the dog to contend with. she would run down the hallway and scratch that area. I have tried not having one at the front door but didn't make sense in rainy Oregon. Can't get rid of the dog...I'm in love:)
June 19, 2013 at 7:43pm     
Margo
Get the dog some booties;)
June 19, 2013 at 7:46pm   
vtag
haha, the booties are a good idea!
June 19, 2013 at 7:55pm     
Elizabeth Ho
You can get nail covers for the dog.
June 20, 2013 at 9:10pm      Thanked by vtag
txreynolds
How about training the dog not to run? Caesar Milan has some good books.
June 26, 2013 at 7:49am   
Southern Belle
You may try a semicircle rug for the stairs and front door with a pretty print leaving the runner in the hallway just not very close to the bottom of the steps. I know how pets and rain are... There's really not much you can do in that space keeping all three rugs. Also, the idea with the octagon rug at the stairs would be pretty in addition to the semicircle rug at the door.
June 26, 2013 at 7:57am      Thanked by vtag
Southern Belle
Keep the rugs smaller.... too much looks hideous and you DON'T want to take away from your floors. You may also try keeping the dog nails trimmed and filed smooth.
June 26, 2013 at 7:59am      Thanked by vtag
vtag
I do keep my dogs nails short but never thought about also filing them smooth:) Love all the rug size suggestions and I do agree that too much is hideous! Rug shopping is on my to-do list.
June 26, 2013 at 10:49am     
groveraxle
Life is too short to worry about floors. Dogs have had the run of my wood floors for 20 years and they still look pretty decent. If they get really bad, I'll just refinish. In any case, I think a scratched wood floor looks better than all those tiny rugs.
June 26, 2013 at 11:04am     
PRO
Toronto Designers
I like the idea of not worrying about how the floors look. Think back to the days when people put plastic on their sofas!! Not quite the same, but in essence it is. You are protecting something but in doing so it looks worse. Your dogs are family so let them run around, scuff up the floors and then refinish as you need. And I too don't mind the look of scuffed floors a little - it just looks like you live there!

One larger rug at the front door will look nice and keep it simpler. If 4' x 6' will fit, that will make the entry feel a little bigger too. Do get the same kind of colourful rug to hide the dirt.
June 26, 2013 at 11:11am