33' x 11' reception (kitchen and living) layout ideas needed
Paul Scrivens
June 20, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hi,

Buying a house with a potential long open plan reception. I'm struggling to work out how I will layout the kitchen and living area. One must is a long kitchen table for about 8 people.

Appreciate any suggestions.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
ANNEKEN, Inc.
The best way to handle a room of these proportions is to create visual divisions between spaces without 'closing in the space or making it look even longer. Decide how you want to room to function, i.e.., dining, conversation and reading areas or dining, TV watching and reading or any combination you want. Once you determine that, it will be easier to configure the room. Sectionals with a chaise to make it easier for people to feel a part of the activities or swivel chairs will help. And choose a table with a bench that can be used in other areas.
Anne Anderson, ANNEKEN,Inc.
June 20, 2013 at 1:05AM   
PRO
Dytecture
A floor plan is useful in space planning.
June 20, 2013 at 4:40AM   
Paul Scrivens
We've actually got two options:
1. Long open plan (33' x 11') with two fire places along the length and a bay window one end and two large windows the other.

2. Square open plan (20' x 18') but with a stair case (up and down) in one corner. We'll lose the bay window with this option and still have two fire places (Victorian house).
June 20, 2013 at 7:53AM   
PRO
ANNEKEN, Inc.
Posting some pics would help....
June 20, 2013 at 8:49AM   
Paul Scrivens
Great idea. Floor plan attached.

As I said, Option 1 - 33' Long Reception (Remove the wall between the Living Room and Kitchen)

Option 2 - Square open plan ( Knock the wall between the Living Room and Bedroom + Remove the hall to open the stairs into the room + reduce the size of the kitchen and create a smaller bedroom with en-suite)

Hope this is clear
June 20, 2013 at 10:26AM   
Paul Scrivens
Floor plan
June 20, 2013 at 10:29AM   
PRO
ANNEKEN, Inc.
Is this on the main floor? Are there doors to the outside?
June 20, 2013 at 10:45AM   
Paul Scrivens
This is the main floor. Accessed via the stairs.
June 20, 2013 at 10:55AM   
PRO
ANNEKEN, Inc.
Sorry, I guess the question should have been is this the ground floor, but it probably is not, correct? The stairs could be a huge asset to the room, if handled properly. Two more questions for you....is the outside wall really not straight? And, as in option 2, are you moving the bedroom into the existing kitchen area, next to the existing bath? This would save money with plumbing costs. It would put the fireplace in the bedroom, which could be very cool. You would then close off the bath from the hall and make it part of the bedroom suite.
June 20, 2013 at 11:28AM   
Paul Scrivens
this is a Victorian house split into two flats (maisonette) and is on a curved terrace, hence the wall. We are purchasing the 1st and 2nd floors. Regarding the fireplace, there are 4 fireplaces, one in each of the current rooms. Our option two draws a line from the edge of the stairwell to the top of the bottom left fireplace - giving us a 21' x 18' reception area (living room and kitchen) with a stairwell.

We'd spend most of our time in the kitchen dining area, but also want to be sure we optimise the resale value.

Hope this is a bit clearer. I have drawn up a couple of ideas in magic plan, but using the free version so not sure i can share.
June 20, 2013 at 1:38PM   
More Discussions
How do I set this up? Area rug rules?
Trying to decide where to place the big end tables...
Curb appeal appeal
Hi all, We are finishing a renovation, and have come...
Need help with different size windows in same room
As a result of combining two small rooms into one large...
Rug for living room in open concept space
Suggestions for a rug to pull furniture together in...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2014 Houzz Inc.
Houzz® The new way to design your home™