Need ideas for uncovered deck area
jansgotaplan
we have a 12' X 18' uncovered deck that we want to cover, thinking about a pergola but not sure how to mount it to the house. Have 7ft7in from under the under hang to the deck floor. Any suggestions would be great. Thank you
jiangmeidesign
Won't it make your house too dark inside and in the basement if you cover the whole porch?
June 20, 2013 at 9:56am     
jansgotaplan
I don't think it would. A pergola could have slats that are wide to allow some light to flow thru. We have a pretty big window that we have to leave the blinds closed all summer because too much light shines thru and it gets very hot in our great room.
June 20, 2013 at 10:05am   
DMH DESIGN
Work with a designer in your area. Structurally, if verified in the field, there may be a possibility to use the soffit support beam of the roof structure to attach one end of the trellis rafters, and run them at 16" o.c. parallel to the house. Your problem is that you don't have a lot of height, so likely, 2x8's (7.25") would be the absolute deepest your rafters can be, and frankly, 12' is pushing the span for that, if you plan to run any cross members over the rafters for shading purposes. Your corner post at the outside top of stair would need to be retrofitted (cut out and made taller, in one continuous piece) to support a cross beam that would run parallel to the support beam of the deck roof at the outside end, and hang off the frieze board running above the windows, below the house roof overhang at the inside. The question is, can you live with a 7' height under the trellis? (I think it is rather low, actually). If not, you always have the option of raising the trellis up higher, but all the rafter attachment points will be on the adjacent roof surfaces, in order to get more head height underneath. This can be a moisture issue, unless detailed thoroughly. Yet a third option is to build your trellis just above the side rail by the stair only, so head height and funky detailing are not an issue. You would need the same post, and the same cross beam(s) as before, and the construction is greatly simplified. Ignore the color, but here is a pic of what the third option can look like, that I built on my own home--The cross beams are 2x8's blocked in the middle and at each end (I would suggest that yours be 2x10s (see attached detail, verify with struct. engr that the end that fits under the overhang could be modified) and they are bolted thru the top of the full length posts; I used 24" long 2x2 cross pieces, I suggest you use 3' lengths. I hope that this helps you in your visualization process.
June 20, 2013 at 11:24am   
jansgotaplan
thank you for your in depth knowledge on the situation. More complicated than I anticipated.
June 20, 2013 at 8:48pm   
DMH DESIGN
Jan, no problem. I want your efforts to yield satisfactory results.
June 21, 2013 at 9:33am   
need help with uncovered deck
Bought new house there is deck but nothing else
Need ideas for a decking area
We have an open decking area but would like to create...
Fiberglass decking for uncovered balcony
Anyone have any experiences, good or bad? Have heard...
Do I need a backsplash on my bathroom sink?
I'm updating my master bath. I'll be putting in new...
What would you do?
Trying to bring down the bold tone of red leather....
Silestone Lagoon or Caesarstone Frosty Carina?
I had been struggling b/t Silestone Lyra and Lagoon...
Out-dated kitchen shelf needs a fresh look and creative ideas!
I need help thinking of a better way to use this self....