cooz
September 12, 2011 in Photo Questions
Help!!! I have a traditional red brick home with white trim. I want to paint the door and shutters a fun color. I am not a traditional gal and am looking for a way to modernize it a bit, without getting a letter from the homeowner's assocation :)
motherbear
You could change to dark trim & shutters & add a punch of color to the door.
0 Likes   September 12, 2011 at 9:32AM
mmonika
I love the black and dark greys against the red brick. Very modern.

I would probably avoid any red tones, since they are so present in the brick. It would be an overload!

Blues are definitely an option (don't think baby blues!). Moody, grey blues would be lovely with an accent of pale yellow or even a vibrant lemony yellow as your front door.

Maybe more traditional would be cream trim and shutters with a rich blue front door.

More traditional then that, using sagey greens.

I would probably paint your shutters and window trim the same, keeping the accent only on the door. Get some planters for your porch that repeat your accent color too!
3 Likes   September 12, 2011 at 9:44AM
Lohr Homes
I would change the dark trim & shutters to a pink/orange soft color. That would give it a great punch!
0 Likes   September 12, 2011 at 2:22PM
smorgan865
I agree, I love the black and grays.
To the other elements: I would paint/stain the wood a darker color, square off the column, and change up the landscaping to maybe some tall grasses.
0 Likes   September 12, 2011 at 2:31PM
marybennett
I love it...just ditch the rose bush and add something else
0 Likes   September 12, 2011 at 2:36PM
Stephanie Halen
I agree with mother bear. I would buy some fiberglass plant containers that have alot of color and design. www.frontgate com. I would keep it simple to with a shade of grey or black for a pop. I would spruce up the landscaping it does wonders. I would call in a landscape designer...
0 Likes   September 12, 2011 at 2:36PM
Alison
Is there an inside trim to those windows? I can't really tell by the photo... if so what about keeping the outer trim dark (charcoal) and then do something fun an unexpected on the inner trim like a washed out wasabi green (although it might be hard to find one that didn't look festive with all that red brick) or you could do any bright colour that worked for you... The dark outer area really would allow for any punch...
0 Likes   September 12, 2011 at 2:36PM
Christine Hilton
I love it,just change out the roses to tall grasses.I would only add colour to the front door.
0 Likes   September 12, 2011 at 4:10PM
Maryann Vecchio
I think those colors, already modernize the space BUT I think if you take out the rose bush- add some really GIANT aloe vera or agave plants & some modern really GIANT vases or pottery like maybe in 3's at the corner of the steps and/or by the landing & a modern table & chairs outside or add a pop of color with the black chairs that are there with colored chair pads & something modern to the table- those things will definitely modernize the space WITHOUT having to be permanent & deal with the homeowners association!
0 Likes   September 12, 2011 at 4:16PM
myhouzzisyourhouzz
Periwinkle. Use it somewhere for a pop!
0 Likes   September 12, 2011 at 5:31PM
Joanne Shaw
Colors are great, I would remove spindles and add tempered glass instead.
Big bold size urns, but with simple planting, remove rose bush and add boxwood for a nice formal touch. Nice modern light fixtures on either side of the door would look good too!
0 Likes   September 12, 2011 at 5:50PM
inkwitch
There's a website which lists the "meaning" of various door colors. It's interesting reading. Benjamin Moor & Sherwin Williams offer online virtual painting although it's hard to find a house example close to your own. I use them as tools, and it helps hone in on which colors I really like and really dislike.

You have enough red (brick) and the gray is solid and grounding. If you want something fun, think of unexpected colors. A bright (but not taxi) yellow front door would be a great contrast to all that gray. There's also deep orange, but watch the tones on that one, and black.

Redoing your garden would add pizzaz -- if you do a yellow door, swamp the beds with yellow-blooming flowers. Orange - rusty daylillies. This will take some research because you don't want to have to do it more than once! And where you live will determine what will survive.

Decorating (inside or out) with grays tend to traditional combinatins such as reds, blues and whites. Not too original. If you really want to change the look, think about painting all that gray (!!!) a different color or even a lighter shade at some future point.
0 Likes   September 12, 2011 at 7:31PM
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
I'm confused - you said white trim? I don't see any. Love the look of your home, and yes - change out the roses to tall grasses. Paint your door a rich brick red, something with substance that will compliment the brick colour because if you go too wild you will get a letter from the Board! Good luck.
0 Likes   September 12, 2011 at 11:28PM
ccaines
Consider using a natural wood trim instead of paint. Perhaps an ipe, dark like a walnut, but weather resistant like teak. The brick and wood would have a more modern feel. Also perhaps add a metal (maybe nickel) streamline minimal railing for the porch and stairs. And yes, change out the garden. Think about using concrete trough planters.
0 Likes   September 13, 2011 at 10:01PM
tunrida
Difficult to say on one elevation but as an easy start you can just paint all the highlights charcoal black (a nice matt sheen) but I agree with the replies saying to change up with the garden. Something simple, maybe some round box along that planter in the middle distance and on the edge of the patio. Also some other structured plants on the near window and wall, but would need to see the front elevation. Some sexy garden furniture , maybe in a dark coloured sleek weave with white cushions and understair lighting.
0 Likes   September 14, 2011 at 2:00PM
redsez
Can you tell me what these paint color name or numbers are? I think it's stunning. Just bought a red brick house. thank you
2 Likes   March 23, 2012 at 10:43PM
bargnshopr
I love the color combo with this red brick. What color is on the porch/decking?
0 Likes   June 18, 2012 at 9:52AM
bargnshopr
Hi again - do you have a picture of the front of the home?
0 Likes   June 18, 2012 at 9:54AM
mynorriskitchen
Me too! did you find the color? jksimom@aol.com
0 Likes   July 8, 2012 at 3:34PM
87pears
Please what colour is the stucco?
0 Likes   October 15, 2012 at 1:28PM
meemltl
love this trim color...kendall charcoal? could this work on a red brick house if the grout is not dark grey but regular aging grout?
0 Likes   October 20, 2012 at 5:50PM
Monica Martin
I have a traditional red brick colonial as well. I recently painted the trim a dark taupe and the shutters and doors a medium gray/blue. I get ooohs and aaahs from all the neighbors. I picked a more modern color pallette for the outside to reflect the updated interior. Sherwin Williams has an application on their website where you can upload pictures from your house and try out new colors. I did 5 color combinations and had my friends help me with my selction on FB. FUN!
4 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 9:35PM
rsherma1
What color gray is used?
1 Like   March 31, 2014 at 7:29AM
Vida Shore Design
Could you please tell me what the 3 paint colors are for the exterior?
2 Likes   August 20, 2014 at 9:50PM
Need help updating living room
We are working on decorating our living room. Looking...
Big house, DARK interior trim & doors :(
We just closed on a beautiful house. The interior felt...
Honed or polished calacatta backsplash
We are doing a black honed granite countertop. Should...
big wall empty wall with a wall mounted tv
Hi i need some help i have a big wall in my living...
What wall do I paint
Just moved into a retirement community apartment and...