Any inexpensive ideas to spiff up this house?

ttinglumJune 20, 2013
I like this boxy house, but don't know what to do to spiff it up a little without losing the boxy feel. Any and all suggestions Thank you for your help.
14thstreet
I would play up the boxy architecture with a new paint color scheme. Everything looks so marshmallow right now. What color is the roof?
1 Like    Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 1:35PM
LB Interiors
Red door. Flowering vine on left front by wide window. Low white picket fences along front on both sides of bushes. Remove a few bushes and plant varied foliage for more interest. Bedding plants.
    Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 1:37PM
andreayoungc
Pull out the shrubs and replace. I would redo the bed , coming out from the house with some curving design.Don't know where you live or which way your house faces to make recommendation on plants. Paint your front door and garage door. Maybe window boxes with flowers.. If you could do a flagstone curving walkway from the front porch to the driveway , it would add interest. These things can be done with a fairly low budget. Good luck.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 1:44PM
Christine Gerlander
Two flower boxes would be nice and then the flowers and plants would add color. Also ceramic colored pots are nice to plant flowers or plants in and can be brought in during winter.
    Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 1:48PM
Would you paint it?

Love this house for a change and I think your cutie would look great with a dark paint.

Dark body, creamy white trim and then your like gray outline around the windows.
Hudson Valley Retreat · More Info
    Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 1:48PM
HI -- I would extend the full front roof line out maybe 8 to 10 feet with a deck also along the whole front of the house with posts and rails. Then have a side walk from the deck down going between the trees .Paint the house a slat blue with a red front door and for some fun you could have trim around the windows in a yellow or an apple green . Or I don't mind the white siding with a color on the door and a black trim around the windows. Also a real pretty yellow siding with lots of white and black window trims and white deck/porch etc. with a cherry red door .
    Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 1:57PM
ttinglum
Thank you everyone! This is so neat. These are great suggestions. Btw, the roof is flat so you can't see it.
    Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 1:57PM
LB Interiors
How about something like this? Yellow trim. Red door, terra cotta steps, re-plant.
Before - Boxy Home · More Info

After - Boxy Home · More Info
    Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 2:03PM
14thstreet
Oh I like the blue house/red door idea...here's a color example.
Clyde Hill Home · More Info
]

apple green is a fun idea...
Street view with restored porch · More Info
]
    Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 2:04PM
motownmom
You have some good ideas. I'd also paint the fence that faces the street to match either the color you choose (if any), or simply white. Unless you need it for privacy, or have a large dog, I'd also probably cut it shorter.

I love bright pots with annuals in the spring & summer. I have a garden in front of my house as well, but the tulips, lillies, rhododendron all blossom for such a short time I need "season long" color. Your porch isn't wide enough to put pots on the porch, but you could have them at the foot of the stairs on either side for framing.

The large trees on the front lawn are nice. I might put up a tree swing for the sake of character, or actual use, LOL. If you don't do that, I'd consider putting a ring of garden around the tree bases with some nice annuals, with a rock or paver edge to extend some color out farther away from your home. My husband and son actually built a paver tree ring for sitting around our tree in the yard with flat caps on the top. Adds nice detail and with the proper shade-loving annuals there is color all spring & summer.
    Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 2:12PM
Can someone help with inexpensive ideas for my kitchen?
I want to set up this breakfast area without breaking...
springgg
Need ideas for interesting and inexpensive drop ceiling.
We are (finally) finishing the basement at our lake...
elklaker
Brighten up a dark kitchen? Inexpensively?
My house I'd great, but it was a "flip" and, while...
wildflower74
Any ideas on how to perk up this room?
Any ideas on how to perk up this room? Also, I have...
bcl12
Need ideas for an inexpensive kitchen update
We cannot afford a complete remodel, but new countertops...
Gabrielle Goodwin
Waterproof hanging heating panels
Are you aware of hanging heating panels (ceramic?)...
doug0328
Drapes
Master bedroom help what to do. Window looks off centered....
gdulcich
Need suggestions for flooring, please!
We have replaced our countertops and have installed...
sherryfish12
My Kitchen Idea Board
What do you think of the finishes together? Which island...
Terri
Gap in long wall
Need advice on what to put on this wall. It's a long...
Tara Elliott