Need ideas - second story fireplace
paramax55
We're in the middle of a complete gut and remodel. We have an area of thr house that was an adddition 25 years ago. It is basically 16' x 22' with an addition on the end of that (yes, a third addition) that is 11 1/2' x 16. All of this is two-story with the upstairs footprint mirroring the downstairs. The downstairs will be more formal entryway/livingroom area and the upstairs will be master bedroom. We have a small, wood burning fireplace that we would like to install in the 11 1/2' x 16' area upstairs, but we're not looking to match it with another one downstairs. What would be a good way to do this without it looking like an "oops?" We could frame the whole thing outside, cover it with stone veneer, make it look like a first story fireplace, and just install the second story. But then what do we do with the inside on the first story? Make a bookcase? Maybe put the fireplace on the inside so only the last two feet of chimney show from the outside?

It is a key-west style, wood-framed house on the river in Florida. We will be in the master bedroom to enjoy the fire frequently (both days of winter), but we'll almost never be in the formal area unless entertaining family for the holidays. Does anybody have any good ideas?
Jeannie Nguyen
Hello! Do you have a photo of your current space to show what you're working with?
June 20, 2013 at 3:46PM   
paramax55
Worked on the house all day... actual pictures won't do much good. This place doesn't look a lot like the finished product. It'll probably be best for me to attach a clip of the floorplan. I'll try to get that up tomorrow.
June 20, 2013 at 8:57PM   
kitasei
I have a second story fireplace in a master bed room. The chimney rises from the ground. There are two flues inside. one of which could be used by the room below the bedroom. We're not using it, but it's nice to know we could, for a wood burning stove. So consider leaving room for that possibility, which will give your home two fireplaces. Both flues will have to use the same fuel (eg. either wood or propane), at least according to our local code.
June 20, 2013 at 9:15PM   
paramax55
Thanks. I've thought of something like that, but I'd like to avoid having the unused space that a first story fireplace would normally take up. I can picture the questions as well - asking "Where is the fireplace?" We could try to get another fireplace to put in place... the wall that this fireplace is going on will be rebuilt anyway, so now is the time to frame up anything that we do. My "fallback plan" is the empty space downstairs I think.
June 20, 2013 at 9:26PM   
kitasei
It doesn't take up space downstairs at all; it's a stone accent wall that gives the room character. there is a hole to vent a future stove should one want it; it is covered. It just makes sense to allow for the possibliity.
June 20, 2013 at 10:11PM   
paramax55
I agree with allowing for the possibility. I might be thinking of this wrong... I picture a stone covered "box," that is big enough to hold a fireplace, attached to the outside of the house. It would go straight up the side of the house, then taper halfway up the second story for the chimney. Upstairs, of course, there would be a normal fireplace on the inside. Downstairs, there would be a wall on the inside with no access to the "box" that's attached to the outside of the house. If that's correct, the wasted space I was referring to is the area inside the "box" that you can't get to... We'd like to make use of the area downstairs - like having a bay window under the fireplace, but that would definitely look like an "oops."
June 21, 2013 at 1:41AM   
Need ideas for getting rid of 2 story brick fireplace
We just bought a house built in the 80's and it has...
Second story addition ideas
I have a 70's ranch that the previous owners added...
Want To Add Second Story! Design Ideas?
I want to add a second story to this home and have...
Looking for ideas to add a second story to existing ranch style bungalow
We are looking at adding a 2nd story to our ranch style...
Fireplace Remodel: ugly lava rock with raised hearth to second story
Need to tear out ugly lava rock style 1983 stone with...
Please help with window treatment
I started sewing these curtains but I hate the fabric...
Kitchen
This is a pic of my kitchen floor plan. I want to put...
What color should I be?
I found this free Armoire and I am considering painting...
Help for a long master bath
We're remodeling our 1977 contemporary but following...