Where to end kitchen backsplash
happymaddie
We just put in new counters in our kitchen and are trying to figure out where to end the backsplash, in line with where the upper cabinets end or where the counter ends?
jmgbaker
I'd take it to the end of the counter
5 Likes   June 20, 2013 at 6:29PM
pmarch39
I agree, bring it to the end of the counter.
2 Likes   June 20, 2013 at 6:31PM
happymaddie
Thanks guys. I want it to go to the edge of the counter. My husband says cabinet lol. Anymore thoughts and why would be appreciated!
2 Likes   June 20, 2013 at 7:32PM
mkmort
I saw one the other day that was staggered from the cabinet down to the counter. I'll see if I can find the pic
1 Like   June 20, 2013 at 7:47PM
Joseph F. Yencho, Design/Builder
How tall is`the back splash?
1 Like   June 20, 2013 at 7:53PM
bradmorrison
I would listen to your husband...
4 Likes   June 20, 2013 at 7:53PM
Joseph F. Yencho, Design/Builder
If it extends up to the cabinet, drop it straight down in line with the cabinet edge.
1 Like   June 20, 2013 at 7:54PM
happymaddie
The backsplash goes all the way up to the base of the cabinet
0 Likes   June 20, 2013 at 8:04PM
mkmort
Here is one. Not what I was thinking but it might work depending on your tile.

1 Like   June 20, 2013 at 8:11PM
mkmort
Look on the left - it might depend on the tile

1 Like   June 20, 2013 at 8:13PM
Joseph F. Yencho, Design/Builder
@ mary-- is that 3x6 true white glass subways?
0 Likes   June 20, 2013 at 8:17PM
mcbriec
Since the cabinet is the "measuring point" for the backsplash, i would stop at the edge of the cabinet.
2 Likes   June 20, 2013 at 8:24PM
Wyland Interior Design Center
It is my professional opinion to bring the tile over to the at end of counter, other wise it will look unfinished. Have the tile come up to the height as the rest of the back splash and then come straight across to that level. You will need to have a finished edge like a bull nose or pencil tile.

BETTER YET! Why not add another upper cabinet on the end of the run. Line the cabinet up with the counter. Then lengthen the soffit above the cabinet to cover the cabinet. You have the space to do this and is easy to do. Then tile will go straight up and meet the cabinet. This really wouldn't cost much to do and it would look like it was meant to be.
7 Likes   June 20, 2013 at 8:40PM
suzanne_m
I agree with Wyland. What you can do with the small extension of the upper cabinets is something like the image below. It would not be between 2 walls but you can use a narrow cabinet to put wine bottles. IMO, if lengthen the soffit is too much trouble, I think you can leave it and you won't notice it since it is not at eye level.
1 Like   June 20, 2013 at 9:08PM
Joseph F. Yencho, Design/Builder
What is the backsplash material?
0 Likes   June 21, 2013 at 5:45AM
0825sam
I agree to the end of the counter. If a doorway comes after you could do something like this photo. Or like wyland suggested trim it out. I was just at a friends house who trimmed hers out but brought it down to the floor like in the photo.

1 Like   June 21, 2013 at 5:52AM
CDR Design
I have succesfully done a staggered from end of cabinets to end of counter. It is stair-stepped. You need to repeat it in other areas, so that the theme is repeated. It looks awesome....as if you did it on purpose.

Can you show other areas where cabinets end where we could repeat the theme?

The other possibility would be to bring it all the way up the wall in this section (to the ceiling). So, it would go past the soffit. You would need a piece of tile molding here.

Need photos of the rest of the kitchen to see opportunities where themes could be repeated.

Please do not bring the tile straight down to end at end of counter or end of cabinet. Will look unfinished!
2 Likes   June 21, 2013 at 5:53AM
Granite Max Inc
Hello, backsplash is a "splash" for the back of the counter so definitely you need to match the back splash for the length of the top in stead of the cabinet- but great question for the design dilemma! I think people do wonder often about that.
2 Likes   June 21, 2013 at 6:18AM
happymaddie
Thanks for the comments. We definitely will not be adding another cupboard. Our house is tiny and the kitchen takes up most of the main floor. We are using white glass subway tile with a grey glass and frosted glass trim through the middle.
There isn't another area to match with staggering either.
0 Likes   June 21, 2013 at 6:30AM
CDR Design
Thanks.....can't quite see the right side. Do the cabinets butt up against something....or is there space?

On the left side, the soffit, cabinet and countertop all end at different spots. Am I correct in that?

The reason I am asking......those three separate endings on the left side are making the area look very choppy. We need to correct that or it will forever look hodgepodge. We will find a solution.....just need a full look at everything.
0 Likes   June 21, 2013 at 7:00AM
happymaddie
On the right side everything lines up and ends at our fridge.
There is phone jack under the cabinet that is being removed and covered up so we will be left with nothing there thank goodness.
0 Likes   June 21, 2013 at 7:16AM
happymaddie
Yes the bulkhead does end past the cabinets. Unfortunately we will not be changing or removing the bulkhead. Too much money and work!
0 Likes   June 21, 2013 at 7:19AM
happymaddie
This isn't our forever home we hope to move back to where we grew up in a year or so. We just wanted to update everything to make for an easy sell in the near future with out doing crazy huge full blown renovations.
0 Likes   June 21, 2013 at 7:21AM
CDR Design
Since no other stepping opportunity, I agree with what Wyland said above:

Anything else you do will not look right. You could get a price on getting this done and then decide.
1 Like   June 21, 2013 at 7:40AM
Victoria
Just to be different I would bring the tile backsplash to the end of the counter but run it to the ceiling, around the (?)ducting. It will make it look really finished off and you won't have that odd bit of isolated backsplash sticking out. Will cost more but look more luxurious.
2 Likes   June 21, 2013 at 7:40AM
Joseph F. Yencho, Design/Builder
Hey happymaddie. Guess I'm the contrarian here. I'm sticking with my original advice to have the tile stop in-line with the upper cabinets. Those tiles do not have any kind of decorative finished edge pieces ( think like a bullnosed end ) that would be used to give the " finished end " look once it gets past that cabinet. Essentially, your going to let the grout " hide " the upper and side edges. Kept in line with the cabinets, that verticle grout edge becomes less appearent, looks more deliberate. It becomes a unit as a whole with the counter and cabinets.If you jog it out, your eye will want to "see' it , your going to notice it trails off into space with no defined edge, and it will want to stand alone in the visual. it will look unfinished. Want to test my "theory" ? take about 2 ft of your tile pattern, attach ( hang) the tiles with 6p finish nails off a piece of sheetrock ( this way you can just "push pin" the nails) , and slide it to different spotson the counter. See what your eye 'picks up" . Good luck
5 Likes   June 21, 2013 at 8:10AM
angela428
The tile stops with the cabinets and a piece of trim.
If the trim is stainless you could bring it to the soffit, but the word itself tells you what it is back splash. Not side trim or oops.
0 Likes   June 21, 2013 at 8:19AM
angela428
PS if you want to be really simple and elegant just do white subway the area is too small for more.
Enjoy.
2 Likes   June 21, 2013 at 8:21AM
Wyland Interior Design Center
If you are going with a glass subway tile, every other row will need to be cut whether you stop it at the cabinets or take to the end of the cabinets. This means you will have a raw edge to deal with. There are numerous glass pencil tiles in todays market. I have about 12 or more of them in my showroom on tile display boards now. There are honed ones, iridescent ones, clear glass ones, rope design ones, etc.........not to mention natural stone ones. Check with the sales person that you purchase the white glass subway from, they should be able to find you one that matches your tile. If not, then go with a white natural stone pencil. Here are some examples. The last photo shows where I used a natural stone pencil with a porcelain tile that didn't come with a matching bullnose. Please note the one in the photo is not white but is available in white, this is just an example.
3 Likes   June 21, 2013 at 4:01PM
Aggie dba Aggie Designs
I agree with posters, who want to end the back splash with the upper cabinet straight down, no staggering.
2 Likes   June 21, 2013 at 4:06PM
1 Like   June 21, 2013 at 4:53PM
Wyland Interior Design Center
Both of these photos are my projects and are showing the two different senarios that we are discussing in this thread.

The first photo shows the tile going to to the end of the cabinet and up 18" high to match the rest of the backsplash.

The second photo shows it coming down from the cabinet. I pleaded with my clients to take the tile across to the end of the counter, but it was there home and their decision. In the end as a professional kitchen /interior designer, you can only make recommendations to your clients to what will the look best. After all, they have hired me for my expertise, education, knowledge and experience. They can chose to do what it right for them. At least I was able to convince them to run a bullnose tile from there over to the end of the countertop, this was to cover a gap where the countertop was not tight to the wall.

Since then, they wished they would have taken the tile across to the end of the countertop. Several of the friends have said that they love their kitchen, but have mentioned that is the only thing they didn't like. We have placed artwork above that area so it doesn't look quite as funny.
0 Likes   June 21, 2013 at 5:19PM
Dominique Savard
At the end of the counter top
0 Likes   June 21, 2013 at 5:36PM
Fred S
Do a black glass subway tile to ground that stripe and match the back of the stove. Run that short section only all the way to the end of the counter. Keep the rest of the splash in line with the upper cabinet.
0 Likes   June 21, 2013 at 5:55PM
On The Inside Design
I would go full backsplash in either glass or granite. It's easy to clean. With granite, you clean off the dirt of the countertop and add a little olive oil to a paper towel and rub I it the granite. It brings back the shine and luster.
you can add led tape lighting to underneath the front par of your cabinet with a lip of wood in front of it so you don't see the tape but it comes in various shades of white- go to WAC lighting. For cleaning the glass, use what you already use for cleaning glass.
0 Likes   June 21, 2013 at 6:49PM
lntrcrts
To the end of the cabinet.
1 Like   June 21, 2013 at 6:56PM
Amy Wax
I wrote a book called Can't Fail Color Schemes: Kitchens and Baths. Even though it is a small book there are hundreds of great photos of kitchens & bathrooms. I am sure there are photos with kitchens that have resolved this exact issue. I would look for it, Can't Fail Color Schemes: Kitchens and Baths by Amy Wax.
0 Likes   June 21, 2013 at 6:57PM
sstarr
To the end of the cabinet only. Ask yourself,what is it out there on the far end of the extended counter that is going to splash, warranting an odd-looking backsplash projection? Lasagna mass-production? Other?
1 Like   June 21, 2013 at 6:58PM
Lori_Tartaglia Volpatti
End of the counter...we did our kitchen last year, and we didn't remove our bulkhead either.
1 Like   June 21, 2013 at 7:12PM
2 Likes   June 21, 2013 at 7:31PM
noiwh8
I vote for the end of the upper cabinet. Ending at the counter edge just doesn't look right to me.
2 Likes   June 21, 2013 at 7:47PM
hparks74
Cabinet.
2 Likes   June 21, 2013 at 8:03PM
hparks74
Add a small open shelf to the end of cabinet so it extends to edge of counter top.
1 Like   June 21, 2013 at 8:05PM
Victoria
A backsplash is to prevent marking the wall when cooking on the counter, not to stop splashing when you take things out of the cabinet. It should at least run to the end of the counter.
2 Likes   June 21, 2013 at 11:38PM
Lucy
Happiemaddie: Can you tell me what you decided to do and if you are happy with your decision. I have the EXACT situation with my kitchen reno and am looking for how to end the backsplash - specifically, did you end at counter OR did you end at upper cabinet. Your reply would be greatly appreciated!
0 Likes   February 9, 2014 at 4:26PM
happymaddie
We choose to do it to the end of the Counter top, we thought it looked unfinished otherwise. We like it a lot and wouldn't change it but to each their own. Our contractor for the counter top said that's where they usually end it and our general contractor said he usually does it to the counter top end. I'll try and take a pic of it for you.
0 Likes   February 9, 2014 at 8:00PM
Lucy
I would love a picture!
1 Like   February 9, 2014 at 8:04PM
Lucy
p.s. you are right about "to each their own" It appears that this is a heated topic on-line. Some feel very strongly that the backsplash should follow the counter. Others feel very strongly that it should end at the upper cabinet otherwise it looks like there is a missing cabinet. We can't add another cabinet because, like you, we have a bulkhead. We are using glass tile as well. Just wondering - How did you end the tile at the wall
0 Likes   February 9, 2014 at 8:12PM
happymaddie
It's just a little metal strip along the edge of the tiles, it looks fine. Not the greatest but couldn't find anything that went with the glass tiles.
0 Likes   February 9, 2014 at 9:04PM
Lucy
Thanks so much for sharing. Will be using the same metal strip. Funny...we have the same cabinets, same hardware : )
1 Like   Thanked by happymaddie    February 10, 2014 at 5:58PM
suzanne_m
This is beautiful happymaddie. I do like the metal stripe especially its pattern.
1 Like   Thanked by happymaddie    February 10, 2014 at 6:25PM
jtbino
End of the cabinet or it looks like it is just floating nowhere out on the wall.
1 Like   February 12, 2014 at 9:29AM
happymaddie
Well we have already finished it, so you can keep your opinion to yourself jtbino, I was answering someones specific question to what I did. For your house can choose what you wish, but now your are just being insulting to the situation.
Also I have splashed water all the way over there lol.
0 Likes   February 12, 2014 at 5:32PM
kpappal
I vote for the end of the kitchen cabinet to end the tile. We recently had a similar situation in a kitchen. We had the tiles professionally installed and our installer, who does tile work only, stopped the tile in line with the top cabinets. Even though our tiles are black, and the cabinets are white, it does not look odd. Your eye will follow the edge of the top cabinet and follow it down to the countertop. Ours looks great.
2 Likes   February 12, 2014 at 5:46PM
Lucy
After researching this issuing to resolve our own situation it is absolutely clear that there is no right or wrong way. There are many variables to be considered in each case and the HOMEOWNER should decide what is best for them and their family. If happymaddie chose to extend the backsplsh to the end of her counter and is happy with the result than that is the right decision for her.
1 Like   February 12, 2014 at 5:56PM
happymaddie
I agree with Lucy - to each their own and no way is right or wrong. We use that extra counter as a breakfast bar, so for us it works!
Good Luck with your backsplash Lucy, it is a ton of fun all the difference it will make to your kitchen!
0 Likes   February 12, 2014 at 6:02PM
7768
Your kitchen is going to be beautiful! What do you think it would look like if you brought the tiles all the way up the wall to meet flush with the soffit? I know it would be a little off, but probably not that noticeable. If you wanted the edge of the counter ant wall tiles going up to soffit to be all in line you could add wood trim or tile trim.
0 Likes   February 12, 2014 at 6:55PM
7768
Oops, I just saw your photo of it finished- it turned out great!
0 Likes   February 12, 2014 at 6:57PM
Keitha
Maybe use some of those oil metal letters just above the tile that spells out your favorite kitchen term...EAT, COOK, etc. it would take your eye away from that stark transition.
1 Like   February 12, 2014 at 7:43PM
debbierx2
happymaddie, that looks great! Can I ask you what color paint you have on your walls? It's beautiful!
1 Like   February 13, 2014 at 6:18AM
Kass Carrell
It's should stop at the end of the cabinets. It would look weird going out past them even if it is to the end if the counter.
0 Likes   February 13, 2014 at 5:27PM
FinelyBuilt LLC
Compromise and just go half way, that can look good to!
0 Likes   February 13, 2014 at 5:33PM
janethumphreys
End of the cabinet. Absolutely! And finish off the exposed tile edge with metal tile edging or a finishing tile. Good luck!
0 Likes   February 13, 2014 at 6:53PM
happymaddie
Debbierz2 the paint is vintage pewter by Benjamin Moore. Thanks we like it!
0 Likes   February 14, 2014 at 5:01AM
GN Builders L.L.C
You can do something like this, we did a few jobs, but it was a granite back-splash, and it looked great.
0 Likes   February 14, 2014 at 5:05AM
whirlwyn
Using some logic, lol, the back splash is backing the counter - hence back the whole counter.
1 Like   February 14, 2014 at 7:06AM
I know your dilemma is already resolved. But here's one more example I ran across today that reminded me of this discussion and confirms your choice:

0 Likes   February 14, 2014 at 11:50AM
Lisa OBrien Interior Designs
For a more cohesive look; I'd take your back splash to the end to meet the edge of your counter top. Hope it turns out well for you!
1 Like   February 14, 2014 at 11:55AM
dreacorator
Add a wine rack cabinet to the end cabinet. Would give you the length you need to make it look even.
1 Like   February 14, 2014 at 11:56AM
whirlwyn
Happy mad die - what's important is that u like it, so this just a pix that fully supports my response to you much earlier. In chatting abt your dilemma I realized I misunderstood you question, so I Ck'd my kitchen to see if I followed my advice to you.....yea. Here's a clear pix of my solution. Enjoy
0 Likes   June 5, 2014 at 10:11AM
A Direct Cabinet Distributor Corp
Another option... you can angle it down, so it doesn't abruptly stop. (see below)
2 Likes   June 5, 2014 at 10:50AM
adivra
Where the counter ends and finish with pencil molding.
0 Likes   June 5, 2014 at 9:59PM
Where to end the kitchen backsplash!
My husband and I are in debate of where to end our...
spartan25
Where to extend (end) kitchen backsplash?
I need opinions on whether to extend backsplash to...
blatson
Where do we end the kitchen backsplash tile on awkward wall?
Four score and seven years ago we started a kitchen...
natandalex
Where to end my kitchen backsplash
I'm looking for advice on how to place my backsplash...
tippy22
White Macaubas? Can you please share your pics?
The photos I've seen online appear to be white/ grey....
Brenna Pearce
need help with my living room
Hi! I was hoping to get some input re: my living room....
alsad
rredpenn
Best Homemade Gift?
As more people try to simplify their holiday giving...
Bathroom fixer upper on a budget
Please help! This is my master bath and it DESPERATELY...
TahiaLore