Is this the right mirror for the mantle?
hnks
Will this work if I hang it above the mantle? The mantle is 80 inches in width and about 60 inches to the upper line. The mirror is sq 40 inhttp://www.homedecorators.com/P/Gunnar_Mirror/250/
chanteln
I think you have too many shapes with that mirror and you windows and mantle. I just saw something in a home show you might like:
June 20, 2013 at 7:14PM     
hnks
That does look great! Do you have more pictures? What is hanging behind the couch? And how costly is it to put stone like this above the mantle?
June 20, 2013 at 7:17PM   
chanteln
I don't know the cost, I just thought it was a great idea for such a large space without actually having a giant fireplace. You have a lovely house, good luck!
June 20, 2013 at 7:23PM   
hnks
Thank you! Those pictures are inspiring. I have a very similar layout and it is challenging to place furniture and decorate. Thanks for sharing!
June 20, 2013 at 7:30PM   
sstarr
I think you need it to be larger, more of a statement piece:
June 20, 2013 at 7:32PM   
Hnks- what will the mirror reflect? I would not put a mirror on this wall.
June 20, 2013 at 7:35PM        Thanked by hnks
hnks
Sstarr93,
Thank you! I see now that the mirror I was about to buy was not a good choice. Glad I posted this question here. Here is another picture of the place. I am just clueless when it comes to picking art and decor. :-( oh I took away that lamp.
June 20, 2013 at 7:54PM   
sstarr
What a terrific house! And, you have great furniture! It looks like you could use another large-format piece on the far wall past the sofa... Needs to be generally light in color.
June 20, 2013 at 8:00PM      Thanked by hnks
felixgrantham
I like the leVau. Please, get your pictures off the hearth & move elsewhere to another table top!

I liked your lamp, you just need a taller table between the chairs. And then put the lamp on top of a few books to "cheat it" a little taller.
July 1, 2013 at 3:06PM        Thanked by hnks
hnks- are yo sure you would not like to put your clock on the mantle and the mirror over the table where the clock is now?
July 1, 2013 at 3:12PM      Thanked by hnks
hnks
Felixgrantham,
You are right, I will move the pic. Just had them there during summer time. I removed the lamp now, I am finding it difficult to have a conversation with the person sitting on the other chair with that lamp being always on the way.
I like levau too. Do you think it is bold enough and big enough for that space?
July 1, 2013 at 3:22PM   
hnks
Margo,
The second set of pictures are not mine. Mine is in the original post.
July 1, 2013 at 3:22PM   
pitbulls
I think the first one from home decorators would be nice. You have to live with it and if you like it that's all that matters.
July 1, 2013 at 3:33PM      Thanked by hnks
Whispar Design
The LeVau is a nice mirror. This is a rough rendering of how it will fill the space. You could always get some cardboard or an old piece of fabric and cut it to the size of the mirror (63"H x 41"W) and "try" to get a visual on how it fills the space in person.
Also, another option to replace the table lamp, if you decide not to get a taller accent table, is to source a floor lamp. The seating area you have seems an ideal place to read so task lighting is important there. Just food for thought.
July 1, 2013 at 3:48PM        Thanked by hnks
hnks
Thanks for the picture whispar. I feel I can do better with another mirror. But the idea of cardboard would be certainly helpful.
I agree, I do use that space myself to read. I thought about having a small side table and a lamp next to one chair, close to the window, rather than in between the chairs.
I really want to have a wow yet cosy and warm feel when someone walks into my house.
July 1, 2013 at 4:13PM   
hnks
would love to have this mirror..
Mediterranean Living Room by Other Metro Architects & Designers Martin Architect, Inc.
or
Traditional Family Room by Grimsby Interior Designers & Decorators gobbato//mourtos inc.
Traditional Living Room by New York Architects & Designers Laura Bohn Design Associates
July 1, 2013 at 4:18PM   
July 1, 2013 at 4:19PM   
hnks
or this
]
July 1, 2013 at 4:20PM   
the essentials inside
Hi all! hnks - you have a beautiful home and lovely taste in mirrors. I just wanted to double check -- are the measurements correct - 80" wide & 60" tall? It looks like the other way around (but of course photos can be deceiving).

Lyvonne
July 1, 2013 at 8:23PM      Thanked by hnks
Nancy Walton
I like the majestic mirror and I think it would fill the space better.
July 1, 2013 at 10:36PM   
Nancy Walton
like this...
July 1, 2013 at 10:45PM        Thanked by hnks
hnks
The essentials inside, It is 80' wide. The ceiling is 20 feet. I measured from the top of the mantle to the upper rim of the window, not all the way to the top, 60'. How about these pics? I tried to adjust the size of the pictures of the mirrors based on their actual sizes. Or should I go vertical?
July 2, 2013 at 6:42AM     
pitbulls
Prisca mirror from Home Decorators Collection would look nice
July 2, 2013 at 6:44AM      Thanked by hnks
Nancy Walton
Go vertical.
July 2, 2013 at 7:28AM     
papillon2
You already have a lot of glass in the windows in this area. How about considering something different, like a large tapestry above the mantle, hung on a decorative rod, with tassels?
July 2, 2013 at 7:56AM     
the essentials inside
Thanks hnks! I wanted to try photoshopping some mirrors for you & wanted to make sure of the measurements.

pittbulls - that's funny, I was thinking the same thing about the Prisca mirror. Here is my favorite use of the Prisca from Yawn Design:
Tillinghast

www.essentialsinside.com: prisca distressed silver mirror large

The prisca is less silver than it appears in the product pic below.

Here are some more of the Prisca:
Residence
Light and Airy Blue Transitional Home

I also found some other pictures that might help you think:

two story living space
Living Room
Contemporary Living Room
Urban Chic
Oakton Residence
Two Story Family Room
Luxury Home Project 1

I'll be back later w/some other "photoshopped" mirror ideas! :)

Hope that helps!

Lyvonne
July 2, 2013 at 7:57AM     
hnks
Thank you! Those are great photos.
The prisca mirror is beautiful, not sure the color of the frame would work with my wall color. I will photoshop it and see how it looks.
I love the stone work above the mantles. I don't know the cost and I am not sure if I want to do this now. The reason why I thought horizontal might work is because of the height of the ceiling, it 20 feet and I don't want to make the place appear more taller.,the previous owner had a square mirror which I thought was beautiful.
July 2, 2013 at 8:12AM     
the essentials inside
hnks - is it possible for you to take a picture similar to the original one you posted but back up a bit so we can see the entire wall "straight on"?

So you're thinking something similar to the Luxury Home Project 1 picture (the last one I shared) & by that I mean something that keeps the eye down toward the fireplace rather than taking it up all the way up toward the ceiling?

Lyvonne
July 2, 2013 at 11:55AM      Thanked by hnks
hnks
Yes, I would like to bring the eye down.
Unfortunately, I am away from home and I only have these 2 pics.
July 3, 2013 at 1:08PM     
rmac62
The mirror is too small it should go as tall as the second mullion
July 3, 2013 at 3:45PM   
hnks
Hello!!
Hope you had an awesome trick or treating evening! We did!!
Here is an update on the mantle mess above. I purchased the LeVau mirror and was quite excited when I got it. It looks beautiful! So I hung it up (See first picture). But it became clear to me that the color of the frame was too dark and I needed some contrast. The frame has a lot of silver tone into it and the light coming from the huge windows on both sides of the mantle is making it hard to see the mirror. So I used a gold spray paint to lighten the color. But I did not use it the traditional way. I sprayed it on a sponge and dabbed it on the frame cause I did not want to transform the whole frame into gold one, I just wanted to add some golden highlight and keep the distressed effect of it. The second photo is taken after I played around the frame. Tell me you thoughts about this. What else can I do to make it pop in the space above the mantle? May be accessories on both sides of the mirror on the mantle? I like elegance and coziness but decorating does not come to me naturally.
October 31, 2013 at 8:30PM     
Nancy Walton
I think you should hang the mirror about four inches off the mantel, and tilt it a little out from the wall at the top, it will have more of a presence.
October 31, 2013 at 10:17PM      Thanked by hnks
lucyhomedecor
I too think the mirror should be off the mantel. 4 to 6 inches would do. Nancy had a good idea to tilt the mirror out a little on the top. With the mirror off the mantel, you can put garland on the mantel for the holidays. Bigger topiaries are needed for accessorizing.
October 31, 2013 at 10:32PM      Thanked by hnks
sbrustein
I do like that LeVau mirror. It does need to be higher, though.
October 31, 2013 at 10:38PM      Thanked by hnks
hnks
Thank you. I knew it was too low. Was hoping you would not say that. Now I have to drill a couple more holes in the wall.
November 1, 2013 at 8:06AM   
Savant Design Group
The correct height would be 3"-4" off the mantle. A mirror is best utilized in a space where it reflects something pretty like an outside garden. Or, in a hallway or entry where someone can take a quick peek at themselves. They look great over a fireplace in the right application, correct size, and style.
November 1, 2013 at 9:02AM        Thanked by hnks
tio2
My vote is for the Priscilla mirror. I was going to purchase it after I saw it in a showroom above a buffet on a tall wall. It is beautiful and goes with many decors. It is an aged silver and would be fine with what you have. It's a statement piece without being too ornate.
November 1, 2013 at 11:58AM      Thanked by hnks
Is this the mirror in your OP?

Can’t follow your link because you typed ‘in’ as part of the http address:

I like the mirror a lot, but I would rather see something much taller and more in keeping with the shape of your windows.

November 1, 2013 at 12:05PM      Thanked by hnks
tlchancellor
One thing I advise people a lot that are thinking of putting mirrors over their mantels, look where your ceiliing light fixtures are....will you be blinding your guests by mounting the mirror in this location and simply reflecting the glaring light from the ceiling down into their eyes? I held a mirror in place for a friend and had her sit in several locations and she realized that was NOT going to work at all. Since you do have that space of flat wall rising there in the middle, I would recommend art work that brings in some subtle color (not to fight with the outdoor views) and something that would bring in texture. Of course, it doesn't hurt to have a nice big canvas painting there to also help absorb some of the reflective noise as well, you have a lot of hard surfaces. If you plan on going with some drapes for that purpose and to bring in texture, then it opens up more possibilities of what to do over the mantel. Artwork does not necessarily need to be framed paintings, think outside the box with perhaps something abstract that can take advantage of that soaring height and bring focus to the whole fireplace/mantel area and unify it. If your aim in placing a mirror is to bring light to the space, perhaps think sconces....again, elongate and look for something out of the ordinary. You have a great room to play with, enjoy the process!!
November 1, 2013 at 12:19PM      Thanked by hnks
No. go tall 6 ft tall & wide and lean on mantel. Ikea carries. Wide dark frame. Perfect. You have very tall ceilings. Use them. Take the eye up. For a more dramatic effect.
November 1, 2013 at 2:11PM      Thanked by hnks
Add some color with accessories.
November 1, 2013 at 2:12PM      Thanked by hnks
Sorry didn't realize this was posted in June. Can you return mirror or use somewhere else. It's too small. For area.
November 1, 2013 at 2:14PM      Thanked by hnks
Nancy Walton
Nancy, she has already painted it, so it can't be returned. Any mirror, no matter what the size, that leans away from the front of the mantel will reflect the ceiling--not very interesting to y way of thinking.
November 1, 2013 at 2:19PM      Thanked by hnks
Didn't know she painted it. So put very tall 6 ft art in bold colors. The mirror would be for effect not to reflect. But still needs height.
November 1, 2013 at 2:22PM      Thanked by hnks
Nancy Walton
But the effect of reflecting the ceiling would be boring, is what I'm saying.
November 1, 2013 at 2:23PM      Thanked by hnks
Oh. I disagree, it is just for effect.
November 1, 2013 at 2:24PM   
Lorrie Etchemendy
I'm no designer, but I generally prefer to hang mirrors where they're low enough to see into....and hence reflect other areas of the room. To me, mirrors that are hung above eye level lose their effect.
November 3, 2013 at 1:03AM      Thanked by hnks
ceebee777
Yes, too many people hang mirrors & pictures too high, and then lose the effect altogether, if you are not able to see into it, hang a large print instead and find another spot for a large mirror which will make the room look bigger.
November 3, 2013 at 2:42AM      Thanked by hnks
hnks
Thanks all so much for your input. Yes, the mirror is not returnable now. Since I paid about $500 for it, I do not want to spend more money right now to buy another substantial piece.
The ceiling is 20 feet high so I feel that taking the eyes up by hanging something so tall would make it less cozy and less warm. The wall next to the mantle wall has nothing and is 20 feet tall too so I will be buying an art or may be a tall bookcase for that wall so I felt that a mirror above the mantle would brighten and enlighten the space. I have a picture of the wall next to the mantle here.
Nancy, I like your idea. I am not sure how to do it. The instructions that came with the mirror advised not to hang it from the center since it is really heavy. Is there I can do that safely?
November 3, 2013 at 7:06AM   
Nancy Walton
You will need two 50 lb. picture hangers, and use a heavy-duty picture wire attached to both sides of the frame. Then attach a foam block to the top back of the frame where it won't show, so when the mirror is hanging it pushes the top out from the wall.
November 3, 2013 at 9:57AM   
Suzanne Powers
Hnks, your living room is stunning with the brown walls and bright white trim accents and furniture and the new mirror fits perfectly over the fireplace. Well done!

I suggest the following triptych in brown and white from my art gallery for your wall, it can be placed over low shelving, a crendza or stand alone. It comes in many sizes up to 65"L x 25"W framed in addition to stretched canvas, acrylic and metal and is reasonably priced.

Should you desire a different color combination, larger than stated size or any other request please contact me by clicking my icon and website.
November 5, 2013 at 8:12AM   
Suzanne Powers
Star Pattern Triptych in Brown and White
November 5, 2013 at 8:13AM   
Outdoor. Door mats
We have concrete steps at the front door and a concrete...
Tile: staggered or straight
I have selected a tile that is 12x24 for the bathrooms...
Living Room Help
I would like advice on color to paint the walls behind...
Granite slab for large island
I picked this slab for my kitchen island and another...
Choosing paint color for year-round sunroom
Seeking suggestions for paint colors for a sunroom,...