Whitewashing brick
jack1260
After much thought and pretty much scouring the Internet for reasons NOT to paint our brick, I decided to "just do it"! I am so happy with the results, we are finishing up some details but wanted to share some photos of before and after!!
sharleeg
way to be brave! It looks fantastic! Great job! I love all the new colors as well, including the red door!
June 20, 2013 at 7:06PM     
Looks great, I am glad to hear when people go with their gut feeling;)
June 20, 2013 at 7:12PM     
rosemarie1220
It looks much better than before. Nice job. Did you have it professionally done?
June 20, 2013 at 7:12PM     
chanteln
This looks sooo great! I have a red brick monster fireplace that I am so tired of. I should do the same thing!! Tell me please what product and process you used?!?
June 20, 2013 at 7:17PM     
jack1260
I had my painter do it!! I over complicated this and obsessed for months/year but hated the brick so much I bit the bullet and did it!! Okay so you water down latex paint and I will check with my painter but I think we decided on 1 part water to 1 part paint. I used Benjamin Moore White as it had some gray in it and thought it was a good choice!! You take a brush and make sure you mix enough to get through process...better too much than not enough!! Then you brush this mixture on and follow up with a rag to wipe off this thin wash mixture. Be careful to not get sloppy and get drips going, the key is brush then wipe the area. It goes a long way. You can power wash to remove it or maybe lighten but I think I'm leaving mine alone. My husband thinks it should have been lighter but I don't so it's staying, LOL!! You don't need any special products just patience!!
June 20, 2013 at 7:50PM     
jack1260
@chantein- Go for it!! There is a woman on a blog that I read through and she was doing her fireplace!! Let me see if I can find it for you!!
June 20, 2013 at 8:04PM   
jack1260
@sharleeg-I used Benjamin Moore Platinum Gray/white trim/deep Forest green shutters and BM color for the door is Poppy!! Very happy red!!
June 20, 2013 at 8:10PM   
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
Good job! Looks great, "Congrats" and thanks for sharing your success and techniques.
June 20, 2013 at 10:02PM     
jack1260
@chantein we used 60%water 40% dove white Benjamin Moore latex paint!!
June 21, 2013 at 9:20AM     
jkomisarek
Hi, my home looks very similar to your "before" picture and this is exactly what I have in mind to update as well! Love seeing your end result, it looks absolutely wonderful!!!!! Can you confirm your BM color choices for siding, brick and trim? I would love to use the same. Thank you!
March 25, 2014 at 1:35PM        Thanked by jack1260
ralamantia
That is Beaver Cleaver's house! Wow!
March 25, 2014 at 3:42PM        Thanked by jack1260
laurakdesigns
Very pretty!
March 25, 2014 at 4:13PM        Thanked by jack1260
jack1260
@jkomisarek -Thank you and I would be more than happy to share with you!! I would love to see your before pictures! I did add some bulk in trim to dormers but whitewashing the brick made all the difference in the world!! You need to make sure you use a color that will look good with more of a white base brick look! I did a search and looked at many whitewash brick projects on Houzz and toured many websites some in The South and homes in Georgetown!! I was going for a more classic look, this gray was on two homes that I always admired and knocked on one door and was given the color!! This is the perfect gray, very classic, not too dark and muddy but not so light that it doesn't give much depth to the white woodwork. The colors are Benjamin Moore Platinum Gray, an exterior color, the trim was white not sure what white but it was pure white. I think he used the Benjamin Moore standard White, the shutters were Black Forest Green, the door was painted the poppy #1315! The white wash mixture is stated above, again paying attention to drips and working small areas at a time, start in area that won't be seen to start! I obsessed over this and actually went in my house when I gave the go ahead and didn't come out until the painter told me to come out!! I love it and there is absolutely no regrets! My house has a nice classic look and all landscaping which I'm working on this year looks great with the gray and white! I was going for a Nantucket/Georegtown classic look with a friendly appeal, hence the cheery poppy door!! I love that as well!! My absolute favorite change I did not post yet was my new garage doors with new trim giving the house a much richer look, not to mention my house is all garage in its design. We were heading in the direction of shingling the house for the look I wanted but realized that changing this 60/70's brick could do the trick and SAVE us ALOT of money!! We added a great copper lantern and will continue with our walkway this year!! I will post some more pictures or please inbox me if you have any other questions!! Good luck, these colors do not doubt, I have had tons of people complimenting the colors and they transformed my house!! Keep me posted!! Don't be afraid!!
March 26, 2014 at 6:16PM     
jack1260
More pictures-we also added beadboard to the entry ceiling, which gave it a better more updated look for little money and it gave it a more up to date look! You can see it in this picture!
March 26, 2014 at 6:25PM     
Paula Crook Reality Inc
Love how this came out. After seeing your photos I'm ready to give it a try on mine. Thank you for sharing along with instructions.
March 26, 2014 at 6:32PM      Thanked by jack1260
Denita
jack1260, your home is stunning! I love your entire transformation - the colors are so fresh and clean looking :)
Edit to add that the dormer build out is a detail that truly stands out - it is so well done. It makes your home look more substantial.
March 26, 2014 at 6:37PM      Thanked by jack1260
jack1260
The first picture shows the dormer build out and the garage pictures show how no trim around doors and added in a thicker width can dramatically change the look! Too often people use a thin trim and just getting a little chunkier look gives it a more custom look, a little trick of the trade, even though I'm just a home owner who has learned as I've gone along!! Anything I can pass on I'm more than happy to!!
March 26, 2014 at 6:54PM     
lovebugsmom
Beautiful transformation. Enjoy!
March 26, 2014 at 7:17PM        Thanked by jack1260
quatorze
Love it. My Dad used regular whitewash, which is a bit more complicated to apply but worth it. Watered down latex should let the brick "breathe" the way whitewash does, since the water weakens the plastic nature of the latex. If you have to re-apply down the road, check out real whitewash. It is caustic when wet, but dries to a safe, powdery finish that ages beautifully, wearing away very slowly over the years, exposing the brick very gradually. It always looks good and the whitewash itself is dirt cheap.
March 27, 2014 at 9:03AM      Thanked by jack1260
Trim Color Help!
We are painting all walls in our home Ben Moore Bleeker...
bedhead
I want to create a nice colourfull chepe but looks...
Backsplash drama
I just changed the counter top but not crazy about...
Design help to connect garage and house
Hi all. Can't find my first post. Hope this isn't a...