Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nasmijati

OLLD 6/21

nasmijati
10 years ago
A message from the OLLDS to Sir David of Ironwood Builders:
We are still sending healing thoughts your way. We want you back!

Comments (264)

• armygirl1987
    10 years ago
    Ana- I am there
  • armygirl1987
    10 years ago
    Get some rest Robin, no yard work
  • kimdee24
    10 years ago
    Today was golf practice day for me. I must have hit 100 balls on the range for the hour I was there, and then down to the practice facility for short game work for another 45 minutes. Never did get to putting. Went in for a bite to eat and then called it a day. We were going to play 9 holes but I'm glad we didn't. Practice is hard work!
  • Anna Cabo
    10 years ago
    Olldbobbi... That is my new rule, no more unnecessary stuff. If I haven't used it in 1+ other than decorations, then I don't need it.
  • Anna Cabo
    10 years ago
    Angela.. Will let you know when i move to broward.
  • PRO
    Linda
    10 years ago
    Ok, when I win the lottery, I'll have to bring in Bobbi and Anna to get rid of my extra belongings and then organize my house....If I'm going to dream about my beautifully organized house, you can bet that I'm going to have the fancy containers from the container store or one of the trendy home stores. Who wants to dream small?

I didn't get much done today because Mother Nature thought I needed a second shower today. The weather was really unusual today because the weather service had a thunderstorm watch starting at 9:00 am and the storms rolled through about 11:00 am. I was wearing shorts as predicted high was upper 80s but it really cooled down after the rain so I really didn't need shorts after all. Fortunately I did some gardening last night although my front yard is still looking like an absolute jungle even though I've been trying to thin out some of the taller plants
  • charleee
    10 years ago
    You all work to hard! Do you ever do fun stuff? Not like golf or gardening, but like really fun stuff?
  • armygirl1987
    10 years ago
    I went to Outback Steakhouse and had me a Mojito, thought that was fun.
  • charleee
    10 years ago
    There you go! Angela knows how to have fun!
  • kimdee24
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Golf is fun! Looks like we're under a flood watch as well, the river is expected to rise 3.5 metres (11.5 feet) by Saturday. When I was down at the course today, it was running fast and already really high.
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    Morning all, another bitterly cold and wet one here - 9 deg at 11.30 am, that is cold for us. Because of school holidays next week poor grands have to play sport today, normally they would cancel in the rain. The Little Bloke was so funny this morning, he has a gorgeous thick snuggly dressing gown and wanted to wear that and his pjs to footy, it was too cold to get dressed.

Creesey - where are you, hope you are enjoying your birthday.

Bobbi, thanks for that pot idea, I love it. I have 3 large dark blue pots on my back balcony, have tried a few plants in them but just can't find something I really like. Girl over the road has pots of clematis along her front patio, doesn't seem to have them staked at all but they are growing nicely and are a mass of flowers at the moment. Was thinking of trying them and just letting them spill over the sides but that would give me some great height. Even better, I have a heap of photo frames I really don't know what to do with. Now to wait till it stops raining...............

kd, those floods look terrible and so many people affected too. I couldn't help but laugh at the thought of having to evac the zoo though, bet that is something they've never considered. The courthouse cells will probably never smell the same again either.

When I was talking to Gdd last night, they have had a lot of flooding in Germany recently, one spot near them was really bad as two rivers merge. German Govt has put concrete barriers along the rivers and at intervals have storage for metal posts and 'boards'. When flooding is imminent, the army and emergency services move in and build up the concrete barrier to create levees to keep the water contained. She said everyone local usually pitches in and helps too, and while it is expensive to set up initially, it is quick to erect and efficient. Saves the hours (even days) of sandbagging that happens here. If only all Govts could think ahead like that, the billions of $$ in damage and cleaning up saved would pay for the initial outlay in no time fast. Insurance companies should be coerced into contributing, they would be the ones most affected and of course there would be the eventual flow on of lower premiums for consumers.
  • Jayme H.
    10 years ago
    Hope your home is safe Kimdee!!
  • Robin W
    10 years ago
    Headed to a pool party in the rain right now. Well, if its still a go. Lol

I just had a quick shower and when I got out it was pouring rain driving right into the back window of my truck that I left open because it was super got and sunny when I got home. The only window I left open :). Yay for leather seats.
  • kimdee24
    10 years ago
    roo -- yes, it's a heck of mess south of me. And it's not over yet, because all the water that accumulated in the mountains still has to make its way to where we are and to Calgary. It's funny to think of the animals hanging out in cells at the courthouse... though I'm sure it was a lot of work to get them moved to safety. The Calgary Zoo is quite large!
  • Robin W
    10 years ago
    Thankfully here in Edmonton there's not a lot of homes that are that close to the river that a 10' rise in water will damage. But that's still one heck of a lot of water.
  • kimdee24
    10 years ago
    @Jayme -- No worries here, I'm a long way from the river, and unlike Calgary, our river is a lot bigger and has steep banks. Calgary's is more like, well... a creek, compared to ours. It's shallow and narrow and doesn't have the riverbanks we have to keep the water contained.
  • armygirl1987
    10 years ago
    Bobbi-I had a lot of fun last night too watching the basketball game. It is sometimes hard for me in school to add fun but I try every chance that I get.
  • Robin W
    10 years ago
    I volunteered to go south to help in the flood zone if they need medical personnel. Doubtful, as it looks like medically they've got it mostly under control, it's just going to be cleanup. Apparently the Saddledome is flooded all the way up to the boxes (highest executive seats)
  • kimdee24
    10 years ago
    Devon, I guess is under flood watch... and the 13th fairway at my golf course is really close to the river, and the riverbank is low there. I'll take a picture of it tomorrow when I'm playing and post it.

I heard that about the Saddledome... crazy!
  • Anna Cabo
    10 years ago
    Linda.. I can organize the kitchen and cook.. Bobbi can get the rest of the house !
  • kimdee24
    10 years ago
    And oh joy... here comes another thunderstorm rolling in.
  • Anna Cabo
    10 years ago
    It's raining less here in FL but its so stinking hot and half the sky it's cloudy so you have to drag the umbrella everywhere like a third arm.
  • armygirl1987
    10 years ago
    Ana, I know what you mean it was 103 yesterday midday.
  • Jayme H.
    10 years ago
    Roo...sorry u r suffering in the cold! How cold is that? I don't know dregs.
  • kimdee24
    10 years ago
    Jayme -- 9C is about 48F
  • Jayme H.
    10 years ago
    Our neighbors r currently in FLA. He is in the army and can either choose where he gets transferred or will just get put someplace. They r gonna roast down there! It got high 80's here today..people from here just aren't used to that kind of heat.
    =forgot to mention, scored Jay a cool bike with pegs for 20 bucks at a garage sale today!!
  • armygirl1987
    10 years ago
    Jayme-the crazy thing for me is that the only time the heat really sucks for me is if I have to go outside to do yard work.
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    Angela, I love those tiles you have chosen. Surprised Bobbi hasn't been drooling too, she loves them. Won't there be a lot of mess involved digging up the old ones? You definitely wouldn't want your new furniture around when that is being done.

Anna - love the olldboddi - much better than the olldboobi we had for a while - now she is going to kill me.
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    Thanks for the translation kd - been a long time since we used that language.
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    You know I've been on here for over 2 hours and I have more emails in my inbox than when I started????? Temp has gone up 3 deg too but doesn't feel any different. Mind you I will take the cold over the heat/humidity any day
  • armygirl1987
    10 years ago
    Thanks Roo-I am happy with that choice too, going to do the floor before I pick up the bedroom set. Going to make some calls tomorrow to see about getting my floors done. Planning for end of the month to get them done. I just want to be done with the inside of the house and the bedroom will be it.
  • armygirl1987
    10 years ago
    Good night all.
  • pattyannb
    10 years ago
    Hi All... getting ready for "the big trip"... LoL
    Roo... Clematis growing in 9 degree weather? Please let me know what ones they are!
    Wow! God only knows I would love to see those beauties here when it's cold...

Sorry... just skimming through the post... Hope all is well with all of you...

Bobbi... golf is fun... I like it, just don't have the time to practice, so I suck at it... My BIL made me my clubs... Just for me... LoL... they fit really good, but not really happy with the driver.... Or, maybe I just need a little more muscle to put the darn ball out there...
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    Been trying to find this to go with Kutchie's ark building instructions.

NOAH'S ARK...

In the year 2009, the Lord came unto Noah, who was now living in Australia, and said: Once again, the earth has become wicked and over-populated, and I see the end of all flash before me.

Build another Ark and save 2 of every living thing along with a few good humans.

He gave Noah the blueprints, saying: You have 6 months to build the Ark before I will start the unending rain for 40 days and 40 nights.

Six months later, the Lord looked down and saw Noah weeping in his yard - but no Ark.
    Noah! He roared, I'm about to start the rain! Where is the Ark?
    Forgive me, Lord, begged Noah, 'but things have changed.

I needed a building permit.

I've been arguing with the inspector about the need for a sprinkler system.

My neighbors claim that I've violated the neighborhood zoning laws by building the Ark in my yard and exceeding the height limitations. We had to go to the Development Appeal Board for a decision.

Then the Department of Transportation demanded a bond be posted for the future costs of moving power lines and other overhead obstructions, to clear the passage for the Ark's move to the sea. I told them that the sea would be coming to us, but they would hear nothing of it.

Getting the wood was another problem. There's a ban on cutting local trees in order to save the spotted owl.
    I tried to convince the environmentalists that I needed the wood to save the owls - but no go!

When I started gathering the animals, an animal rights group sued me. They insisted that I was confining wild animals against their will. They argued the accommodations were too restrictive, and it was cruel and inhumane to put so many animals in a confined space.

Then the EPA ruled that I couldn't build the Ark until they'd conducted an environmental impact study on your proposed flood.

I'm still trying to resolve a complaint with the Human Rights Commission on how many minorities I'm supposed to hire for my building crew.

Immigration and Naturalization are checking the status of most of the people who want to work.

The trades unions say I can't use my sons. They insist I have to hire only Union workers with Ark-building experience.

To make matters worse, the Tax Office seized all my assets, claiming I'm trying to leave the country illegally with endangered species.

So, forgive me, Lord, but it would take at least 10 years for me to finish this Ark.

Suddenly the skies cleared, the sun began to shine, and a rainbow stretched across the sky.

Noah looked up in wonder and asked, 'You mean you're not going to destroy the world?'

'No,' said the Lord. 'The government beat me to it'.
  • armygirl1987
    10 years ago
    I see David posting.
  • pattyannb
    10 years ago
    Oh, Oh... Angela... I just saw your tiles... Yes, very good choice... Your bedroom will be total zen!
  • pattyannb
    10 years ago
    LoL Bobbi....
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    Patty - I'm going to have to revise that, I always thought these were clematis but when I checked online they look quite different. These have flowers in all different shade of pink on each bush. I think that is why I haven't bothered with them as I didn't want pink flowers there - I colour co-ordinate my garden too. Let you know when I check it out. Hard to find anything online without a name - hahaha
  • armygirl1987
    10 years ago
    Thanks pattyannb. It feel so good when things come together.
  • nasmijati
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @David. Thank you for taking time to write a note. It is good to hear that you have encouraging news from your doc. :)

Know that we OLLDs are keeping you very close in our thoughts and prayers.

Auntie Eztia
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    10 years ago
    Hi everyone - just popping in to try to catch up... it has been screaming busy over here so I have been off the threads for quite a while - I will do some reading of the old OLLDs to catch up on all your news and then comment - but it will have to wait a bit. We had a huge hailstorm here two days ago that wiped out most of my garden (but was far worse for others). We got 130km winds and hailstones the size of golf balls. It really was incredible.... sadly lots of plants damaged or destroyed but worse for florists, winegrowers and farmers.... really bad news for them.Dave - always thinking and praying for you (and I don't pray normally). Hope you all had a summer solstice -except for Roo who can now look forward to summer coming around the corner....- and everyone else big hugs to you all.
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    Sir David - great to hear from you. That is so good your doc had some encouraging news for you. May it continue. Can't remember if I've mentioned before that I fought a virus for 4 months last year - it certainly wasn't funny and I didn't have all your other problems, so I do understand how frustrated you must be. Listen to your body and let it heal. Take care.
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    Hi Antoinette, nice to hear from you too. Don't know how far you will get catching up, the hen house gets noisier every day. Did your bamboo survived the storm? Suppose the wretched wall did. Was chatting to dd in Munich last night and they have had some very weird weather there too. Don't know what the world is coming to.

Don't think summer is quite round the corner .......... yet. July will be very cold, August can suddenly have two weeks of heatwave and then go back to cold and lately it seems to be October/November before we warm up again. Not that I mind, by then I'm dreading the heat and humidity of January. I have to hit the shops, take care.
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    mp - meant to ask you before - is that signpost a joke or the person who made it?????
  • evierh
    10 years ago
    Bobbi – I seem to have 2 extremes .. doing fun stuff for myself, and doing a lot of administrative work for the 2 organizations in which I’m an officer! This past Wednesday I went to a play; Noel Coward’s “Present Laughter”, and this coming Wednesday I’m going to Lincoln Center for my 2nd ballet of the season. But this coming week I also have a meeting Monday night for which I have to prepare, and then it’s the end-of-the-month reports I need to put together & get out. My responsibilities have allowed me to procrastinate with house projects, like the retaining wall.

Pattyannb – Don’t forget that Roo’s temperatures are Celsius, not Fahrenheit! 9 deg Celsius = 48 deg Fahrenheit.

Antoinette – Terrible storm you had; sorry to hear about the garden! I lost my irises in torrential rains this past month!

Looks like I must have something going on with my left foot, which is really stiff today, after an easy 2.5 mile walk yesterday. Guess going to the podiatrist will be on the agenda for this week .. if I can get an appointment!
  • charleee
    10 years ago
    Astraea, I hope the podiatrist can find an easy magic cure for your foot so it doesn't bother you anymore!

The committees you belong to, you must enjoy them or you wouldn't do all that work, right? Is this the Republican thing? I'm sure they appreciate all you do for them.
  • evierh
    10 years ago
    Bobbi - Me too; like if it just means doing stretching or going for some targeted therapy.

One is the local historical society, of which I'm the Treasurer & membership chair; I have to issue a Treasurer's report the end of June, as well as an updated membership list to the executive board. The other is the Republican women's group, of which I'm the President. We're putting the mailing together this week, for our August fundraiser. I'm frustrated that with some of the officers, it's like "pulling teeth" to get things done, that are their basic responsibilities. I hate when I feel I've got to badger someone, when the person should be pro-active about their responsibilities!
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    Astraea - just had a thought, try some ice on your foot and see how it goes. I hope you are wearing well cushioned gym shoes for your walk, normal shoes are too hard and can cause jarring.

I used to love being on committees but I'm now getting a bit past it all. I was really disappointed to leave my Computer Pals committee in one way but I got so sick of the rest of the committee sitting round at meetings complaining no one would do anything, which never volunteering to do anything themselves. My tongue is too sharp these days as well.
  • evierh
    10 years ago
    Thanks Roo - When my foot first started hurting when I walked, I went to the running store about my shoes .. worn. They did an analysis of my gait, and I tried 3 or 4 different styles that were good for me. So I'm wearing a lighter, but well padded Nike running shoe. I learned my lesson about walking in the wrong shoes a couple of years ago, when I began wearing sandals on the boardwalk .. and did a job on my Achilles tendon!

Creeser gave me some stretching suggestions to loosen the hips, and my foot felt a little better today; let's see how my foot feels in the morning!

For a short time I was talked into being on a committee with a cultural organization. I hated that they had to discuss everything ad nauseum, before (hopefully) making decisions. I'm even happier I didn't get more involved, because I just heard that a couple of board members just sued the organization & other board members, because they didn't like their decisions. Who needs that?!
Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida