Need help finishing off guest room please
65kerry
Hi, spare room very small and I don't like a lot of clutter but feel my decorative items are too small and get lost. Need suggestions please. Also went with one feature wall but the other walls look too bare. Carpet will eventually be replaced (hopefully with polished floor boards).sliding doors lead to small balcony.
houssaon
I would pull the bed spread down so that the bottom overhang is the same length as the sides. I would get two lamps that are about twice the height as the one you have now. A bench at the foot of the bed is convenient for both suitcases and putting on shoes.
June 20, 2013 at 9:43pm   
65kerry
Good idea on lamps. Can't do bench as doors to built in robes won't open. Would a skirt look okay on bed and if so what color?
June 20, 2013 at 9:47pm   
All 4 Show, LLC
June 20, 2013 at 9:55pm   
All 4 Show, LLC
I would add more pillows and a bed bench like houssaon suggested! Also scale is very important to design. You are correct that the decor on the nightstands are too small. I think you need to play around with more options than what u have! I love the accent wall though...good choice! :)
June 20, 2013 at 9:58pm   
All 4 Show, LLC
Another idea is to paint the bed and nightstands a lighter color! I think that it would help flow better with your theme...just a thought! :)
June 20, 2013 at 10:01pm   
bigbunnie
yes get some more pillows with pillowcases in either a cream or light beige color to create some layers and prop them up on the headboard. Right now you can barely see the pillows as there is no contrast and it blends into the bed/comforter. Can you also fold over the top of the comforter about 1/3 down to expose some contrasting color in the sheets and underneath the comforter? Sort of like how they made the bed in the photo.
June 20, 2013 at 11:22pm     
regina5697
I like the wall colors very much. The bed and night stands are workable too. However, unless your guests will always be female, I would accessorize it to be more gender neutral. The bedding looks slouchy and uninviting. Crisp white sheets and fluffy pillows will make your guest feel welcome. Chose less flowery accessories.... Think larger scale.
An attractive, decorative alarm clock, fresh flowers and matching lamps. A relaxation themed print above the bed would be nice.
June 20, 2013 at 11:32pm   
65kerry
Thank you everyone! Will have another go and update photo later.
June 21, 2013 at 12:13am   
pattiegoode
It's not the perfect room to have an accent wall. Consider painting the entire room your selected color. I like your wall decal and would try to incorporate real elements that are pictured there: a bird cage & a real wood branch. I'll look for some products I'm thinking of for you. I like your butterfly bedding, and agree with others that it's not showing well. Consider a bright blue blanket to cover the bed and folding the comforter back. While the bed & tables are a perfect fit, they look hard & not very inviting (sorry). How about floating shelves over the tables, baskets tucked under them, & hanging pendant lights on either side? Then add additional artwork; landscapes or abstracts would work. I feel every bedroom needs a mirror, too. Maybe a floating shelf opposite the bed with a mirror over it. Inspiration pix to come! Please post updates if you make any changes! You're creating a very nice room!
June 21, 2013 at 12:17am   
regina5697
Here's a photo similar to what I had envisioned...

June 21, 2013 at 12:23am   
pattiegoode
June 21, 2013 at 12:29am   
65kerry
I can see the black frames are too harsh now and may look at changing bed. Lots of good suggestions.
Not sure if I understandstand suggestion about blue blanket-does it go under the quilt or at the foot of the bed? And what color lamps should I look for?
June 21, 2013 at 12:44am   
pattiegoode
I've had this mirror & the pic doesn't do it justice. It is a clean, modern look with the metal frame. A new classic that would look great over an Ikea Lack floating shelf: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90245239/
Grundtal Mirror
Ideabook: Floating Shelves: Minimal Design, Maximum Flexibility
June 21, 2013 at 12:56am   
pattiegoode
Here's a cute video from WE:

Use a blue blanket as the base & fold your butterfly comforter at the foot of the bed. I'm seeing the blue bird on your wall. Any of those colors would work as well. White sheets are always perfect.
June 21, 2013 at 1:04am   
pattiegoode
You should be able to find a woven cotton blanket at Walmart or Target for a very reasonable price: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Elite-Home-Products-Bedding-Sea-Breeze-Blanket/23483024?findingMethod=rr
June 21, 2013 at 1:09am   
pattiegoode
Pier One still has their classic white paper lights that would work great: http://www.pier1.com/Hanging-Paper-Lanterns/PS849,default,pd.html
I also love this bamboo fixture for your room (can't tell if it's hard-wired, but if it is you could have a cord added so you could plug it in): http://www.pier1.com/Modern-Woven-Pendant-Lamp/2617039,default,pd.html?cgid=ceiling-lights
June 21, 2013 at 1:14am   
65kerry
No Walmart in australia but will look in target tomorrow. Great ideas! A little overwhelming but thanks!
June 21, 2013 at 2:29am   
pattiegoode
June 21, 2013 at 3:57am      Thanked by 65kerry
need help finishing off guest room please
Hi, spare room very small and I don't like a lot of...
Please help me finish my guest room/home office
I have painted old file cabinets and desk in a creamy...
Need help finishing a guest room
I'm re-thinking my guest room decor. I have some light...
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
Okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
What should i do with this 140 yo house main entry hall?
I want to remove the pre finished walls and re do the...
Too many colors! What to do?
As you can see I have the to many colors/textures ...
Electric Outlets on my Island!
I noticed the two electrical outlets on my new island...